S-10 Forum banner

Something different for audio head unit

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  lewie13 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals, I'm looking to put something different in my 1st gen blazer as far as a head unit. I've seen a few double dins done nicely but as anyone tried a tablet or a carputer in there first gen? Any Ideas and pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
the bit one is way over kill. In my first gen, I got an EQ with an MP3 input. The EQ I have has its own volume and sub woofer control volumes and I set them a the max I want them. I control the over all volume with the volume buttons on my phone. I've done a few write ups about it.

#10 ·
The Bit One may be overkill for most, but that guy is running a custom dash with Focal components, so he is definitely using it.

The main problem with running a tablet full time is the heat cold, and humidity changes in a car - especially one that is not garage kept.
That's not even the real problem. The main problem is just user functionality. Depending on how you have the tablet, getting it to orient right when in the dash, getting it to turn on and off when the truck starts so its not a constant drain, or reaching the lock button on the top of the side can be a pain. Its totally doable, but its definitely not the easiest thing to do.

A good place to start is over here: http://www.mp3car.com/ they have been around the longest, and most likely address all the problems I listed above, and can recommend the perfect solution for your needs.

#8 ·
Yes the bit one is over kill as is my whole system (3 L7 12's,zx2500.1,zx650.4,focal k2,bit one ). Because I live by one motto "go big or go home". I tried a regular cd player but skipped cuz the stereo was to loud, then I went with the bit one and ipod. You could run an EQ like kdh said and it will work just fine.

#11 ·
I hear your arguments but this can all be worked around. first the power button, dont worry about it. just let the ipad go into sleep mode where it draws no power, as long as your dock cable also will charge the unit you have nothing to worry about. second about the screen orientation. one can lock this feature under settings. if you want you can run this into an EQ

#12 ·
That would work for sure, the down side is.. well its an ipad. If you are going for a budget or semi budget install, and ipad blows that out of the water, unless its used. Andriod makes it a little harder, and that's sorta where my mind was.

I was seriously considering doing this with an android tablet, but I kept hitting walls. As an example..

Lets says I went with a 7" tablet. That seemed to be the right size to fit in the dash. OK, If I rooted it, I could lock the orientation, but I couldn't find a decent way to get the display to come on with out touching the lock button on the side or top. Lets say I found one, awesome, cool. If I wanted to use GPS, finding a tablet with GPS that didn't blow the budget was tough but doable. Forget google maps, you need an active data connection. So I would need to pay 50$ and download the tomtom maps software. So finding the tablet that suited my needs, had Bluetooth, gps, and downloaded the apps I needed, then install materials and I was up over 350$. So I just stuck with my original plan, and plugging my phone into the EQ with the mp3 input.

edit, if you are perfectly fine with that kind of budget, and just want to do something different then my arguments about being budget minded, are null and void. ;)

#13 ·
I think the wall your hitting is called droid. If a budget is the concern, then just get a used ipad for the truck. And all you problems will go away. And to reiterate the title is called "something different". So spending the cash to do something different is totally worth it. Go Apple

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.