Single cab ported 12" boxes? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Single cab ported 12" boxes?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Old School

User is: OffLine
Single cab ported 12" boxes?

Does anyone have any pics of a ported 12" box in a single cab?

Wanting to design a box for my RE SE and hoping to get some idea's.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Got Art?

Re: Single cab ported 12" boxes?

best option would be a round port with a 90 directly after entering the main chamber of the box placed on the opposite side of cab from the subwoofer
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Old School

Yeah, I was thinking of building the entire box across the entire length behind the seat, putting the sub behind the passenger and the port behind me. I was hoping someone had done a square port so I could see how they did that.

I'm hoping to get around 3 cubic feet with a port tuned around 33hz. Guess I'll have to see what others have gotten and give it a shot myself.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Old School

Meh, I was hoping some people would have some pictures.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Got Art?

square port in a single cab is near impossible with any considerable length because of the shape the box has to be
Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by old_skool_noma
square port in a single cab is near impossible with any considerable length because of the shape the box has to be
not really....my buddy never followed through with it but i designed an enclosure for him with a 10w3 behind the pass. seat and a slot port that was completely external...the port would follow the back wall and do a 90 behind the driver's seat...at also gave him a place to mount his amps...it was a killer design that modeled nicely but like i said,he never did it
Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Got Art?

Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Toad
not really....my buddy never followed through with it but i designed an enclosure for him with a 10w3 behind the pass. seat and a slot port that was completely external...the port would follow the back wall and do a 90 behind the driver's seat...at also gave him a place to mount his amps...it was a killer design that modeled nicely but like i said,he never did it
that isnt a bad idea at all, i forgot that i designed one like that about 8 months ago for a 10w3 as well and i had the same idea with the amp, seems like i had a flat response modeled down to about 30 hz but i didnt do it becasue i have the brace cut out of the back of the cab so it would look wierd only coming up to where the trim originally came to and the back wall isnt pretty anymore

Last edited by old_skool_noma; 10-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
drunk and bored

he was dumb to NOT do it....i was gonna sell him the 10w3..supply the wood,screws,glue,tools and loan him my pc-2300 and he just never did it....hell,i made a 'glass box for his ole lady and gave her a 10w3 for her bravada....

i just can't figure people out sometimes.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #9

I would just side fire like a 4" aero

Last edited by skinnyg; 10-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
U.S. Army

[quote=Sir Toad;6548907i was gonna sell him the 10w3..

i just can't figure people out sometimes.[/quote]

did some body say 10w3
not ported or 12's, but fits real snug and sounds awesome in my single cab.i didnt put the speakers behind the seats because the seats lay back into them.55x18x3 at the top and 7 at the bottom if you can use the same design and port it, it could fit 12's if i make the holes larger

Last edited by s10pimpin209; 10-04-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #11

isnt that compressor loud right behind your head? lol
Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #12
insomniac

You could always fire the port out of the side of the enclosure if length isn't excessive. Run the slot port along the back wall of the enclosure.

If it allows enough port area to keep the port noise down, run a round or smaller square/rectangular port. The length may be shorter...or the port may be simpler to snake through the enclosure.

No pics( which I know you were hoping for ) but I had a similar set up in my mazda standard cab. I was running a single 10" cerwin vega in about 1.5 cuft tuned to 33 or 35 hz( do not remember exactly ). The box had a 3"x5" port firing into the passenger side cab corner with the 10" behind the driver seat. It sounded really nice in the truck and got relatively loud.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
U.S. Army

Quote: Originally Posted by skinnyg
isnt that compressor loud right behind your head? lol
its actually pretty quiet ....
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
Old School

Quote: Originally Posted by s10pimpin209
did some body say 10w3
not ported or 12's, but fits real snug and sounds awesome in my single cab.i didnt put the speakers behind the seats because the seats lay back into them.55x18x3 at the top and 7 at the bottom if you can use the same design and port it, it could fit 12's if i make the holes larger

What's the internal volume of this box?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
U.S. Army

Quote: Originally Posted by 98SonomaMan
What's the internal volume of this box?
does 3.151 ft3 sound right?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Old School

Quote: Originally Posted by s10pimpin209
does 3.151 ft3 sound right?

So you can fit a nice sized box behind the seat of a single cab. I'm having trouble figuring out how I could fit a port in there, square or round, though.

I used to run this SE in a 2.5 cu ft ported box tuned at 33hz, and it was great. I was hoping to somehow achieve something similar in my single cab but I'm not so sure.

Anyone have any box designs using a external port?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
U.S. Army

So you can fit a nice sized box behind the seat of a single cab. I'm having trouble figuring out how I could fit a port in there, square or round, though.

I used to run this SE in a 2.5 cu ft ported box tuned at 33hz, and it was great. I was hoping to somehow achieve something similar in my single cab but I'm not so sure.

Anyone have any box designs using a external port?

why do you want it ported? in single cabs sealed is the way to go, limited space. check this out.

Sealed Subwoofer Boxes
The most common and versatile type of enclosure is sealed. This style enclosure is ideal for any application where space is going to be an issue. In some cases a sealed recommendation for subwoofer box will be half of what the ported recommendation is. They also have the advantage over ported and band pass enclosures in terms of overall sound clarity. A sealed subwoofer box will deliver a tight, clean and accurate bass response and have a flat frequency response curve. In general a sealed box will be for listeners looking for sound quality driven system that is clean across the entire frequency band.
Vented & Ported Subwoofer Boxes
Next up are ported or vented enclosures, “ported” & “vented” are synonymous, it just means the enclosure has a hole in it to let air escape. You know that guy you can hear from 2 blocks away? Well he is likely running ported box. This style enclosure will likely be about twice the size of a similar sealed box since the airspace inside the chamber is much larger. Ported enclosures are tuned to a certain frequency range which is determined by the port length, width and diameter. The port can be in several configurations such as rounded or a slot which is narrower and taller. Each subwoofer will have a specific frequency they are designed to run at for maximum output. Depending on what you plan to use the enclosure for it can be tuned to various frequency ranges by modifying the port.
In general most competition SPL vehicles tune to high frequencies around 45Hz or higher. This setup would be designed for absolute maximum output but sacrificing a great deal of sound quality. A ported box tuned 25Hz will still allow your system to hit the ultra low bass notes while still keeping sealed like sound quality. The disadvantage is the enclosure will then have a fairly flat frequency range. And then the most common frequency range found usually in pre-built ported / vented enclosures is around 33 – 35Hz. At this frequency the enclosure will still deliver much more bass output than a sealed box but at the same type with still retain most of the sound quality. In other words you will get the best of both worlds with a ported box run at about 33Hz.
Bandpass Subwoofer Boxes
And last but not least are Bandpass enclosures. These are a hybrid box version and combine the features of a sealed and ported sub box into one enclosure. They are generally the hardest to build and design but offer some unique advantages. Bandpass enclosures are all about efficiency. How they work is a subwoofer or subwoofers in some cases are mounted inside a dual chambered box. One chamber is sealed and the other is ported / vented. The sound waves travel from the sealed subwoofer chamber though and out the port. This allows for a much deeper sounding bass and will be tuned to a narrow frequency band which creates a very aggressive sound. Not all subwoofers will work in bandpass enclosure so make sure you research or check the manual first.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
Old School

I just very much love the power of ported boxes.

I'll link a video of my SE in a 2.5cu ft box ported @33hz. Had a decent sound but got very loud.

*uploading the video to youtube just so I can show it off*
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Old School

I'm not against sealed though, I was just hoping.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
U.S. Army

yeah the amps your push the sub with have alot to do with it to. which u using?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
Old School

I currently have a JBL BP600.1. It's the Lego block looking one.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
U.S. Army

are you running it at 2 or 4 ohms?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
drunk and bored

I just very much love the power of ported boxes.

I'll link a video of my SE in a 2.5cu ft box ported @33hz. Had a decent sound but got very loud.

*uploading the video to youtube just so I can show it off*
output
Old 10-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #24
Old School

Errr.....2 ohms I believe, it's been 2 years since I ran it.

And yes, the output.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #25

like i said just run a side firing aeroport 4", leave 4" from the sidewall to the box and you are fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.