poping sounds from sub when brakes applied - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

poping sounds from sub when brakes applied

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
poping sounds from sub when brakes applied

Hello,
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy. I have had some popping crackling sounds from my subs when no music is played or at low volumes, I thought it was the ground wire and checked all my wiring. I also got a new battery but today after checking all my connections i backed the truck out of the garage and noticed that when I would tap the breaks i would hear the popping sound from the sub, also for the past month my gas gauge would go crazy like sometimes go from E to F. Has anyone heard of this problem, I don’t want to bring it to my local car audio dealer, they will charge my a arm and a leg. Could it be the alternator?
Amp: Rockford punch p5002
Subs: 2, 12" rockford stage 2's
Head deck: Pioneer 5600
Old 01-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #2

Re: poping sounds from sub when brakes applied

i was going to say your amps ground, but you said you already checked that. sounds like a much more serious problem than your stereo wiring, but i can't say for sure without looking at it first hand. check and make sure that there is nothing wrong with your battery/alternator wiring. that's probly not it, but at least it gives you a reason to eliminate
Old 01-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Tech Contributor

I know you said you "checked" your ground, but try moving it to a different spot. It might not have the best connection where it is or whatnot.

Also, how is the ground for your cd player? stock ground?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by Punk0Rama
i was going to say your amps ground, but you said you already checked that. sounds like a much more serious problem than your stereo wiring, but i can't say for sure without looking at it first hand. check and make sure that there is nothing wrong with your battery/alternator wiring. that's probly not it, but at least it gives you a reason to eliminate
Yea, I am wondering if somehow it's the new battery. I am gonna check out the connections.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by Zapnoma
I know you said you "checked" your ground, but try moving it to a different spot. It might not have the best connection where it is or whatnot.

Also, how is the ground for your cd player? stock ground?
I never thaught about checking the ground for the CD player, The cd player was installed by a professional... but it may have become loose. I'll have to open it up..and check... The ground for my amp has been there for about 2 years and I haven't had a problem.. I'll try moving it also it wont hurt to try.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Tech Contributor

Did the pop just start out of the blue?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #7

Did the pop just start out of the blue?
I have had this setup since june and It seems like it started last month. I started my truck and I heard a sound from amp (it seems like this amp makes a clicking sound when it's cold) so I restriped the ground, power, rem and speaker cables and pluged them all into the amp...then after that it seems like I keep getting that poping sound. Do you think the cold can affect the subs and amp? I live in northern NH and it's have been quite cold. Also I opened up the box to make sure the speaker wieres were connected tightly.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Tech Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by Timmyleve
I have had this setup since june and It seems like it started last month. I started my truck and I heard a sound from amp (it seems like this amp makes a clicking sound when it's cold) so I restriped the ground, power, rem and speaker cables and pluged them all into the amp...then after that it seems like I keep getting that poping sound. Do you think the cold can affect the subs and amp? I live in northern NH and it's have been quite cold. Also I opened up the box to make sure the speaker wieres were connected tightly.
It could be, due to the larger amount of static electricity in the colder air of winter.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 AM   #9

Intresting, I'll have to see if I notice it on warmer days...thanks a lot Zapnoma
Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #10
Tech Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by Timmyleve
Intresting, I'll have to see if I notice it on warmer days...thanks a lot Zapnoma
No prob.

Since it has gotten colder, it has made my sub/amp tweak out. Now, when its really cold, the sub will just start playing on its own, low rumblings....
Old 01-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #11

Yesterday this is what I did.
1. Cleaned the ground wire mount, grounded it in another place under the seat
2. Pulled the subs from the box, re wired and soldered them.
3. Re-striped all the wires going into the amp.
I am still getting feed back when I put the directional, brake, rear window defroster. It's like a pop.. Then sometimes it does this noise just out of the blue....
This must be a ground problem right? My dad told me that he thinks there's filters you can put in the ground wire to take out some of the static or something.... is it possible that it could be my deck ground, I haven't touched it.. and if it was the deck ground I am sure I would hear this popping sound from the speakers.. I only hear it from the subs...any suggestions? Does anyone know of such filters? Does this definitely sound like a ground problem? I am going to probably replace the ground see how that works. It’s confusing me...because this just started...if the subs were in a car truck it would probably not be noticed but since it's in the back of my jimmy I hear it and it's annoying... Thanks for your help guys..
Old 01-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #12
Supa Fly

Your pops is talking abouta ground loop isolator...and those are usually used for alternator whining in the speakers.

My friend is having the same issue with his dodge intrepid. He wants me to come takea look at it...The first thing I was gonna check is grounds...so we will see...keep us posted if you fix it.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Audiomentry

Have you had any work done to the motor or transmission? There is a grounding strap from the cab to the motor? maybe just maybe.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #14

BlazerPimp - Yea, your right... I dont think that isolator would help. I just looked at it on the radio shack website...It would filter sound from the deck, and there is no need for that because there is no poping sound from my speakers.. I would need to find a isolater for the amps ground wire that may help.

JCamocho - All I have done is replaced the battery, I'll have to check that ground strap.

Last edited by Timmyleve; 01-17-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #15
Tech Contributor

i'll ask my friend what he did when his popped when he touched his brakes...
Old 01-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #16

i'll ask my friend what he did when his popped when he touched his brakes...
Thanks a lot Zapnoma
Old 01-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #17
Tech Contributor

:thumbup:
Old 01-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #18
Ex Bagged Minitrucker

check your PM
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 AM   #19

sounds a power drain of sourts..... I would defently go ahead and upgrade the ground at the deck *friend of mine had the same prob and that ended up being the trick*...
Old 01-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #20

Ok, sounds good.. I'll give that a try. Thanks a lot sleepy10..
Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #21
V going 4 door!

check and clean your connections at the battery itself. Also try moving your RCA's my old car made a poping and a whining noise when i would hit the brakes, the cable had gonen pinched behind the dash some how. i replaced my rca cables with better ones and moved them to the center of the car the entire way back... away from the factroy wires running to the back of the car, and the nose went away.

Last edited by 98layinframe; 01-19-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #22
Mobile Audio Junkie...

Quote: Originally Posted by 98layinframe
check and clean your connections at the battery itself. Also try moving your RCA's my old car made a poping and a whining noise when i would hit the brakes, the cable had gonen pinched behind the dash some how. i replaced my rca cables with better ones and moved them to the center of the car the entire way back... away from the factroy wires running to the back of the car, and the nose went away.
That's what I was just thinking... Check all of your wires, power, RCA's, remote, and see if one of them got pinched. I had a problem where my power wire melted and was touching some metal and kept shorting out my radio...
Old 01-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #23
Tech Contributor

Here's what my buddy said.

Quote:
>I replaced the RCA's. It helped for a couple of weeks and then it
>returned. I never did fix it the second time. It led me to believe
>the deck or amp was bad. Not entirely sure though.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #24

Yea, thats what I am going to have to do.. I haven't even opened my dash up.. I know down the other end everything looks good.. It sucks because I am back at school so I dont have anywhere to take a look at it.. (it's been like 10 degrees) I think I am gonna go home in 2 weeks so i can put the jimmy in the garage.. I am also going to replace both grounds...if it still does it with the gronds replaced I'm going to replace the rca's..then if it still does it.. I am going to break something, then bring it to the local car aduio dealer...I might just even do that it will prob end up only costing me 40 bucks.. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens, But i wont really be able to get to it till prob next weekend....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.