How to wire speakers to your amp - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to wire speakers to your amp

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Its that dam ADD!

User is: OffLine
How to wire speakers to your amp

Maybe somebody will sticky this this time. Its an old post from about 4 years ago, I just updated the pics to work again:

I thought this might make a good sticky in here, so think about it. People never know what an ohm is or why its needed in selecting speakers, so Ill try my best to explain.To get multiple subs to an amp thats bridged sometimes requires some thought and most people skip this step and need either new subs, a new amp, or both . If this is you , stop reading, I make my hours off you and therefore my living. if you are the type of person that slaps stuff together without knowing a thing about it , never checks into it , never asks question and thinks you know it all, we love/hate you and keep it up to keep us fed.
All amps put out their most power at a certain ohm load(except some ones with the regulated power supplies that are pricey and arent around much). Most all amps are rated at 4 ohms per channel at a certain distortion ratio, say 100 watts per channel, 4 ohms driven at .8%THD ( Total Harmonic Distortion). This means that a static ohm load ( a resistor not a speaker on the amp) it will produce 100 watts. Now once a speaker is on the amp it will of course move and change the ohm load, but we wont get into that right now.
Now if we change the ohms, say from 4 to 2, most amps will double the power to 200 per channel, but your distortion will double or even quadriple from .8 to 1.6 or maybe 3.2. This is why the cleanest sounding systems always have high wattage amps even on the highs and even the subs are run in stereo or one sub per amp(but thats mainly to reduce "crosstalk" and difference in subs , plus the ultra high dollar amps to run multiple subs get $$$). Now most of us cant hear that level of distortion, some people say they can so we also wont worry about that.
Now another fact to consider in this , is that the amp will "see" a different ohm load once its bridged. An amp thats 4 ohm stable bridged is also 2 ohm stable stereo. This is because an amp that has a 4 ohm load on it bridged "sees" 2 ohms per channel, I dont know why, it just does so live with it. This makes it easy to see why people like to bridge their amps, because they put out more power. If our theoritical 100 wpc amp does 200 wpc at 2 ohms and you add the 2 channels, you get 400 watts into one channel. This will make you now have twice the amp you bought , it doesnt matter if its all going into one sub or 4.
When wiring multiple subs theres 3 ways to do it, series, parellel( I never know if Im spelling that right) and series/parellel. Series means that the subs share one terminal like Christmas tree lighting. When you do this, its a wire from one + to the next subs - and the left over + and - go to the amp. Parellel means they share 2 terminals like plugging in multiple pieces into a wall socket. When you series subs, their combined ohm load doubles everytime you double the subs and when you parellel them their combined ohm loads are cut in half everytime you double the # of subs.
Some subs also fall into the dual voice coil category and some even into the quad voice coil category (and if you need help wiring those up mail them to me in at least pairs and Ill try to maybe get them back to you as they are usually nice pricey subs I would like to own). DVCs need to be treated like 2 speakers per sub and 4 subs per every 2 subs. The amp doesnt care if you only have 2 subs cuz it sees 4. If you saw the paragraph before this is where the series/parellel wiring comes into play. If you have 2 DVC subs that are 4 ohm per coil and you have a 4 ohm stable amp, youll need this. What you do is run a wire from the + on one side of the sub, to the - on the other side. Do this to the other sub and now the subs are seried out to make each sub 8ohms. After this you run each subs left over + to the amp and each - to the amp.
I hope this little think I did helps some people out.
(# of subs)ohm of each sub , type of connection = combined ohm load
(2)4s par = 2 , (2)8s par = 4
(2)2s par = 1 , (2)1s par = 1/2
(4)4s par = 1 , (4)8s par = 2
(4)2s par = 1/2 , (4)1s par = 1/4

(2)4s ser = 8 , (2)8s ser = 16
(2)2s ser = 4 , (2)1s ser = 2
(4)4s ser = 16 , (4)8s ser = 32
(4)2s ser = 8 , (4)1s ser = 4

its easy to see the way it works like this and these will do probably every possible type of speaker install you will ever need including house speakers. The only 2 other installs that some people do are 3 8ohms on a 4 ohm stable amp (2.66 ohms) and 3 4ohms on a 2 ohm stable amp( 1.33 ohms). If you need more help on this , let me know and I hope I can answer it

Scott Spiehler Jr

One sub:

2 subs:

3 subs:

Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Its that dam ADD!

Re: How to wire speakers to your amp

and 4 sub setups:

Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
forum idiot

thread stuck
Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Its that dam ADD!

ty, finally! lol
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Zr2USA = B_Rich

Well done, that will save a LOT of threads and a LOT of explaination on this site.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
The **** you lookin' at?

Quote: Originally Posted by B_Rich
Well done, that will save a LOT of threads and a LOT of explaination on this site.
doubtful...
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Its that dam ADD!

Quote: Originally Posted by B_Rich
no it wont, we will just have to redirect people towards the sticky like the other sites I have it on
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Zr2USA = B_Rich

lol well sorry to be Mr. Positive around here

At lest we have a referral thread now haha.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
The **** you lookin' at?

its ok...well forgive you. Only this one time though, dont make it a habit... lol
Old 12-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
BUILT BY A POORMAN

thanks man thread is very helpful. I found out the hard way. end up blowing my subs.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
91DIME

do speakers work the same way?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
Its that dam ADD!

these are speakers we are talking about???
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
Justin "ADIO" Wilkinson

this will hopefully save people a lot of time when they're searching for how to wire subs up. as long as people search a little, they should be alright when they find this post
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #14

I know this is an extremely stupid question and I am not very good at all when it comes to wirering but yea i have a question.

On all those diagrams the wires are seperate with pos. and neg. wires. The speaker wire I got is what i've seen a lot of speaker wire is, is two joined wires i'm assuming one neg and one pos. I'm going to be doing the series coil/parallel wiring.

http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hi...ofermanual.pdf

It's the last diagram on page 7. It shows a wire going from a pos. terminal to a neg. terminal on the same sub. How would I wire that having my wires together???
Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #15

Alls you have to do is pull the wires apart :P the only thing holding them together is a small piece of the insulator they were cased in.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #16

i would like to add 2 4ohm dvc's to 1 ohm
How to wire speakers to your amp-2_4ohmdvc_1ohm.gif
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #17

This thread helped me so much. I was completely lost before i found this. the pictures at the end helped me the most. now i can plan my system much easier. Thanks Forklift
Old 04-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
Its that dam ADD!

your welcome
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #19

is it just me that finds the crutchfield wiring explanations a bit confusing ? The RF wiring diagrams make a whole lot more sense to me, more schematic I suppose. My P2d410's might just be getting a 1Ώ monoblock soon. just have to find one thats around 600w@1Ώ
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
Its that dam ADD!

the Rockford BD500.1 would work fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.