how to hook alarm up to horn instead of siren - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how to hook alarm up to horn instead of siren

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
how to hook alarm up to horn instead of siren

I have a remote start/alarm system from AVS. I wanted to hook the alarm up to either my train horns or truck horn. How would I do this? Do I need to add a relay. If so would I want it to be sending a positive signal to the horn?

Also the remote start has an rpm sensor wire which tells the brain when the car is started. How would I hook this up, my truck is an 84 2.8 and has no tachometer. Thanks for your help
Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #2

Re: how to hook alarm up to horn instead of siren

Tach wire is the white wire on the coil. on my 5701 I was just able to tap into the horn wiring for it to work with the alarm.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #3

the white wire is the the negative on the coil correct? My alarm says I need to hook up to the negative tach wire.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #4

Yup yup!

And
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...etail/516.html
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

technically a tach wire is in ac voltage not dc. it will change with the rpm.

can you program that alarm so the siren wire pulses? reason i ask is the normal siren wire when triggered its a constant 12+. Also a horn is a neg wire so you will need to relay it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #6

Ok thanks for the help guys, I ended up throwing the alarm away. It was a piece. Sometimes it would work, but most of the time, it acted like the transmitter was not sending out a signal. Checked the grounds and power wires and they were fine. Also checked the antennae. Is Viper a good brand of alarm? I am looking to get one that is a good brand and not a cheap one like I had.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

Now you did it... asking if viper is a good brand.. this forum is a "pro" viper forum.
viper (dei), autopage, audiovox, compustar. i have had all these brands in my vehicles and never ahd issues.

i have installed them all and have had great success with all. I have even installed some of the cheap "china" alarms.

My motto is, you can take a cheap no name alarm and have a great install and have no problems, or take a $1k alarm and have a bad install and have nothing but troubles.

most issues i have ever seen in my install career with alarms are with the install itself, and not the product.

then the question is just alalrm/ remote start? or do you want it to control other items on the truck (windows, airbags,)?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by aaronajb1981
Now you did it... asking if viper is a good brand.. this forum is a "pro" viper forum.
viper (dei), autopage, audiovox, compustar. i have had all these brands in my vehicles and never ahd issues.

i have installed them all and have had great success with all. I have even installed some of the cheap "china" alarms.

My motto is, you can take a cheap no name alarm and have a great install and have no problems, or take a $1k alarm and have a bad install and have nothing but troubles.

most issues i have ever seen in my install career with alarms are with the install itself, and not the product.

then the question is just alalrm/ remote start? or do you want it to control other items on the truck (windows, airbags,)?
Well the cheap one I had was a Micro Remote start/alarm with the digital screen transmittor. I wasted $100 on it. I bought it from AVS back in 2009 and installed it. I don't have power windows/door locks so that simplifies it. I followed the directions and hooked up the wires that I needed to hook up. Other wires such as hood pin and such I didn't because my truck has no hood switch to tap into. The alarm and remote start would work fine one minute. I was able to arm the alarm and if I opened a door or pounded on the car it would alert. I was also able to remote start the truck with it. It would work fine for random amounts of time, than it would stop. Most of the time I would arm the alarm and the transmittor would not disarm it. I would have to open the door setting off the alarm and quickly put the key in the ignition and press the hidden valet button to turn it off or pull the fuse to the alarm. I messed around with it but could never figure it out.

I gave up and just recentl decided to give it one more try. The alarm was still installed but I had the fuse removed so I inserted the fuse and it started working. It worked for about a day until it stopped working again. An hour later it started working again for about 3 minutes.

I figured maybe there was a loose wire, checked that. Checked the ground was in a good spot. Replaced the transmittor battery, tried using the 2nd transmittor. I even ended up disconnecting every wire except for the power, ground and antenna. The alarm still would work sometimes, sometimes it wouldn't. As a last ditch effort I took the brain apart and reflowed solder to all the major connections thinking maybe there was a cold solder joint. Still did the same thing. Just yesterday, I cut the damn think out and taped up all the wires. I am pretty sure the alarm was faulty from the get go. I spent countless hours trying to figure it out. I should have contacted Avs back in 2009 but I didn't, so I basically wasted $100.

That was why I was asking if Viper is good.Like I said, I don't have power windows/doors so I am just looking for an alarm/remote start. It has to have shock sensor, and light sensor, it would be nice if it had to auxiliary outputs triggering a negative 500 ground and it has to have a blue LED that you mount in the truck.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #9

on my last truck (a 91 burban) i had a viper installed.
i also had air horns. but did not want to disturb my neighbours.... however, i did ask them to wire the trunk release circuit to the relay trigger on the air solenoid. the result was me being able to do this at over 1000 yards.

http://s253.beta.photobucket.com/use...00310.mp4.html
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

Nice that was what I wanted to do
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #11

Had a Viper, and then went with a Code Alarm Pro 2-way (made by Audiovox) its awesome and was $50 less than the Viper 2-way I was looking at. Signal is better at farther distances (locking/unlocking).
Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #12

Cool post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.