How do I hook up 3 Subs with one amp? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How do I hook up 3 Subs with one amp?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Salvage Title

User is: OffLine
How do I hook up 3 Subs with one amp?

I recently purchased 3 1200Q Audiobahn subs and a Tri-Box. I have everything to hook up these subs just no amp. I am curoius on what type of amp I need and can run. I don't watn to spend to much money but don't want no RADIO SHACK AMP. Any Suggestions. I also need to knwo on how to wire them for that amp rather it be a 1 channel or 3 channel or whatever. PLEASE COMMENT
I really want to finish my system.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Daily Draggers 4-LyF!

Re: How do I hook up 3 Subs with one amp?

u can get a mono amp meaning it only has one channel but get a powerfull one and just hook it up to that one channel (like bridging) or just get an amp with 3 channels or you can get a regular 2 channel amp and bridge it
Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Salvage Title

Well that doesn't answer my question
Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #4

i suggest the 2 channel amp and bridge it.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Resident Wetback

more info would be helpful. What are the subs impedence? are they DVC? what are they rated RMS? this info would be helpful, if you want to get your question answered.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
un banned

first off, bridge the amp (if it allows you to) if its a 2 or 4 channel (4 channel not reccomended) if its a mono amp, you dont have to worry about it cause its only one channel. also, a 3 channel amp doesnt neccessaraly mean one channel for each sub. a 3 channel amp usualy has 2 stereo channels for speakers, and one mono for a sub, and theyre usualy hybrid class ab/d. more made for powering an entire system.

second, im assuming theyre dual voice coil.. if so,

or

if so, the first configuration will give you a final impedence of:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 4 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 2.67 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.33 Ohms
Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 1 Ohm

and the second one will give you:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.67 Ohm
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.33 Ohm
Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 0.25 Ohm

and if you have single voice coil subs, you get this:

2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.67 Ohm
3 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm
4 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.33 Ohms
8 Ohm Subwoofers: 2.66 Ohms
12 Ohm Subwoofers: 4 Ohms

Last edited by Baggd; 01-05-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #7

how are the subs wired in the box? Is there one output for the subs or 2? And what impedance is that at? That would determine what amp tp buy, not how many speaker you have.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
un banned

Quote: Originally Posted by skinnyg
how are the subs wired in the box? Is there one output for the subs or 2? And what impedance is that at? That would determine what amp tp buy, not how many speaker you have.
what are you talking about? those diagrams explain everything. nevermind what name is on the amp in the picture.. that doesnt matter. i got it off their website.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Salvage Title

Ya but Those diagrams say i need either a 1/4 ohm amp or my subs need to run off from 6 ohms. The subs are dual voice coil they are 700watt RMS and I would liek to run about 1000 watts each. I am not sure if they are 6ohm capable that is why i would liek some info on what amp to buy. I would liek to give them 2ohms to 4ohms If I can
Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
black culture thief?!

are these the ones you have?http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_131.html
if so they are 4 ohm DVC woofers therefore you can only wire them up to loads of 2.67 with the woofers wired in series parallel (picture 1) or 0.67 ohms with the woofers wired in parallel parallel (picture 2).
That means you need an amp that is stable at one or the other load, whether it is a 2channel amp that is 2 ohm bridged mono stable (2.67 ohms is higher than 2 ohms so it will be stable) OR a monoblock Class D amp that is .5 ohm stable.
As far as powering those woofers, they are rated at 700 watts rms each and if you pat anymore than that to them, you'll probably be replacing them shortly (700 watts doesn't play well with 2 inch voice coils) and I've had problems with Audiobahn overrating the powerhandling on there subs.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #11

i think a mtx 1501d, or maybe even a oion/viper 2500d would be a nice amp for that setup, just be responsible when setting the controls
Old 01-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
un banned

Quote: Originally Posted by ajsproaudio
Ya but Those diagrams say i need either a 1/4 ohm amp or my subs need to run off from 6 ohms. The subs are dual voice coil they are 700watt RMS and I would liek to run about 1000 watts each. I am not sure if they are 6ohm capable that is why i would liek some info on what amp to buy. I would liek to give them 2ohms to 4ohms If I can
the impedednce doesnt come from the amp. it depends on how you wire your subs. your subs will be either dual 2 ohm, dual 4 ohm or dual 6 ohm most likely. those diagrams show 2 different ways to wire them up and what your final impedence will be when wired that way, depending on what ohm load your subs carry. if you want your subs to see 2 ohms, it wont happen with 3 subs, no matter how you wire them. if you want 4 ohms, youre gonna have to get 6 ohm subs.. which alot of companies dont make anymore.

however in my blazer i had 3 dual 4 ohm subs, wired to 2.67 ohms, running of a kicker kx/1200.1 and it rocked em pretty good. didnt have any problems with it. theres no law saying your impedence needs to be an even number. just as long as your amp doesnt have a problem with it.

if that didnt make any sence, get ahold of me on aim. my sn is ronjeremy62081. ill walk ya through it. once you see whats going on, its not really complicated at all.

Last edited by Baggd; 01-06-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.