Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Question Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

I have a 94 S-10 Blazer 4x4 and I was trying to hook up a deck I got and it wont work! I tryed using the wire harness first, I am posative everything was right, and only the clock worked.... it wouldn't like turn all the way on to play music. Next I just cut the few power wires out and hooked them up directly... same thing. I was wondering what I am doing wrong? Or if anyone can tell me what each color wire does since they don't match the wires to the deck. There are some brown and grey wires and stuff. If anyone could help me out that would be great, I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. Thanks!

PFC Szczygiel USMC
Old 07-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Same Poop,Different Scoop

Re: Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

this section is for computer stuff, youll want to go post in sound and sercurity, which actually has a sticky on this subjecy, use the search feature
Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by devilman13xx
this section is for computer stuff, youll want to go post in sound and sercurity, which actually has a sticky on this subjecy, use the search feature
Alright, sorry, thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Computer Geek

Old 07-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #5

Question Re: Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

I have another problem now. I got it to work by putting the ignition and 12v wires both to the 12v wire on the reciver, and the unit is re-setting everytime i turn the key off, and it is kind of annoying becasue it losses the radio stations, sound settings and so on. I was wondering if anyone knew what i could do about this? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
No Bull

hook it up to a constant hot, and not an ignotion hot 12v source
Old 07-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by van_wilder
hook it up to a constant hot, and not an ignotion hot 12v source
I looked threw the service records of my truck, and found out that the factory dissconected the constant hot wire because the stock radio was draining the batter dead. I looked in the dash and did not see it cut at all or anything. Does anyone know where the other end of this wire goes too? I am thinking that they dissconnected it there or that they may have taken a fuse out that I have not noticed. All the fuses under the e-brake pedal are good and everything. Is there any other place that they would be? I don't think there is. If anyone could help I would be very happy, and thanks to everyone who already helpped me out.

PFC Szczygiel USMC
Old 07-16-2005, 05:36 AM   #8

run a wire from you battery that will be constant. lol
Old 07-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by toslow4u
run a wire from you battery that will be constant. lol
If I do that will it kill my battery since there is alwase someting going across the screen and shit on the deck?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
S V T is a little bitch

splice the constant wire from the radio into the cigarette lighter hot. That is a constant 12v source and it is right by the radio. No need to run wires to the battery for that.

Make sure that your ignition voltage wire is hooked to a source that only supplies voltage when the key is turned "on" That will make it so that there is not always something on the radio screen.

Last edited by cunokyle; 07-16-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by cunokyle
splice the constant wire from the radio into the cigarette lighter hot. That is a constant 12v source and it is right by the radio. No need to run wires to the battery for that.

Make sure that your ignition voltage wire is hooked to a source that only supplies voltage when the key is turned "on" That will make it so that there is not always something on the radio screen.
Alright I'll give that a try, thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
Throw some Ds on that Bch

The constant power would not drain the battery, either way if you run a wire or not it would be the same thing, what turns the radio on is the accessory wire, the 12v wire should be fine. Running it from a cigarette lighter hot.

Red = cigarette lighter hot
Yellow = ignition
black = ground

the rest you can just match up, good luck
Old 07-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by Enjoithis
The constant power would not drain the battery, either way if you run a wire or not it would be the same thing, what turns the radio on is the accessory wire, the 12v wire should be fine. Running it from a cigarette lighter hot.

Yellow = ignition
black = ground

I am going to work on all this right now, hopefully it works. I am re-wiring all my spekaers with 12g wire, and then hooking up the deck again.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #14

Angry Re: Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

Yellow = ignition
black = ground

Oh man I am going to go nuts trying to figure this out. I cut the wire going to the lighter, then connected it to both the radio and the lighter. All the other wires are matched up were they should be. The unit is getting power, you can see the light behind the face light up, and hear the unit re-setting itself with the cd motor turning or whatever, but it will not turn on. I tryed putting a bigger fuse in to maybe let more power to it. I hooked up a 25W fuse instead of the 15W one. Does anyone else have any idea's? I'm gunna freakin' kill myslef here... HAHA.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #15

hmm, it should work... if its on, its on, and it wouldnt be the fuse, the fuse would blow if it needed more power, a 15 amp fuse is fine for a head unit. Did you buy it brand new? Don't know what to tell ya...

If it has a detatchable face clean the contacts
Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #16

Yellow = ignition
black = ground

if you're talking about from the radio side you got your power wires mixed up, unless i'm reading it wrong. from the radio the yellow wire is constant 12v, red is ignition. if you have a multimeter check to make sure you're getting 12 volts at the wires. if you don't have one you might want to get one, they come in handy when you run into problems and you can get a cheap one for like 10-20 dollars at sears that will do the job. if both the wires are getting 12v with the car on and you have a good ground i don't know what to tell you, might be someting wrong with the deck
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #17

Post Re: Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

Yea I got a CD deck from a friend that works fine in my truck. ****in' POS deck wasted so much of my time. I will be getting a full refund on it I hope.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #18
More Cowbell

it sounds like u need a pro to do it so u don't **** ur car up....putting a bigger fuse in to give it more power???!!! ur just asking for trouble!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote: Originally Posted by xtrememeasures
it sounds like u need a pro to do it so u don't **** ur car up....putting a bigger fuse in to give it more power???!!! ur just asking for trouble!
Haha. Yea I am by no means a car person... but I manage, and everything is working.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #20

did i get the wire colors right?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #21

Cool Re: Hooking up a CD deck? Wire Colors?

did i get the wire colors right?
I just ended up hooking both the ignition and 12 v wires from the deck up to the red wire going to the lighter. Works great.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #22
forum idiot

Quote: Originally Posted by xtrememeasures
yeah really...
Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #23

I got it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.