S-10 Forum banner

Dynamat vs HomeDepot?

38K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  kdh 
#1 ·
Quick, and probably silly (bear with me) question. What is the difference between this:

and this:

The latter seems expensive, while the former seems a viable alternative. I mean they're both insulation are they not?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
which dynamat? regular dynamat, not much, dynamat extreme is great, but second skin is better for about the same price, and for bang for the buck, RAAMmat is great, and the formula has changed a little since the sound deadener showdown, no asphaut at all in it now

oops, you put in the bubble wrap type rather than the peel and seal

#5 ·
Wow this is posted alot. There is another thread on here. Peel N seal is great If you figure in the fact that it only dampens using mass loading and you are gonna have to redo it in two years.

#7 ·
Not quite my buddy has had peel n seal in his ranger for going on 5 years and it hasnt had to be redone once. nor has it fallen off ANYWHERE including the roof.. Its all about the prep work..

My hardbody had it in there for a year without issue..

clean the surface good , heat before you apply , rolls out nice also .
But then agian , I would suggest making sure you do this for any of the brands.

#11 ·
Raammat is a butyl mat.

Fatmat is asphalt.

And it doesnt matter if the asphalt is still there after 5 years. It is dried up and not doing its job. Its just hanging there not doing anything...It is really hard not to post an innuendo after this btw...

#12 ·
FTW!
For anyone considering edead, even the butyl mat that they do sell has mylar backing instead of foil. Even though its butyl, it still only does about as good of a job as an asphault mat becasue the aluminum is a big part of what makes the damping material work. It is also inherently why second skin damplifier pro is in most peoples opinion the best mat currently available.

Im not saying that raammat is bad, becasue it is by far the best "bang for your buck" mat available and likey what I will be using.

That being said, there is only a 10 mil difference in the butyl layer (60 vs 70), but the foil thickness on RAAMmat is 2 mil compared to Damplifier Dro's 6 mil. Thats 3 times the aluminum to help keep the butyl constrained and doing its job, but the extra aluminum also makes it less flexible and harder to get into tight corners.
Overall, RAAMmat is a great all around product, not the best available, but for the price it cant be beat, Damplifier Pro is an awesome product, but it is best used on wide curves and flat areas, but Second Skin has other products for that application.

I think I covered all the bases, also note that I havent used either of the products, this is all just based on research I've been doing to select a deadener for my truck, and 66mustang's car.

#15 ·
it doesnt say anything about the foil thickness, id stay away, and as far as i know, you shouldnt really need pressure sensitive adhesive for butyl, im pretty sure its basically a self adhesive compound

#18 ·
there's really no difference expect peal n seal is really thin and it will take 2 or 3 layers of it to do what dynamat or other products like it do. But what ever you use make sure you clean the metal good so it sticks good. Me personally I use Second Skin.
http://secondskinaudio.com/

#19 ·
First choice is Hushmat
second is Seceond skin

i like hushmat cause it sticks to everything no to little prep.
second skin you have to wipe everything down.. Its like life you get what you pay for, it depends on the job your doing and the quality of the job your plan on doing.

I just did my own personal car with Hush mat took out every piece of inter and added sound deadner.. Well worth every penny in saving and time to use a very good product. i used 2 bulk boxes and still had left overs..

Bonus i get at cost plus shipping*

#21 ·
lol are you dumb? If you want anything to stick forever you need to clean the metal. I turned a whole roll of paper towels into a big black ball from cleaning the doors and tail gate etc. You stuff probably all feel off if you didn't clean it. :rolleyes:

#20 ·
you have to wipe down anything before applying a sticky substance, thats just dumb and of course your going to like a product that you get at cost!

Second Skin works and its great stuff, better than Dynamat, trust me, I put the 2 side by side on my roof and you could hear the difference. As far as Home Depot crap, no way, I dont want my truck smelling like a freshly paved road for months after!

#22 ·
So in my first gen, I don't have carpet or a headliner. It's a standard cab, and when it rains, I have to yell to have a conversation with the passenger. I just picked out about 900$ of audio for it, and now that all of these different options have been mentioned, what would be the best? I don't want to hear any road noise or anything. I will be getting carpet, and a headliner. Won't be doing anything to the doors at this time because It doesn't have door speakers and I don't have any reason to take the panels off. What stuff should I use? Best bang for the buck and best stuff to use?

#24 ·
i would wait to install any mat on the floor pan until after you get the carpet.. it would suck to spend a bunch of money and then your feet muck up your nice new sound deadener.

In my first gen i have a layer ofsecond skin damplifier pro and overkill pro in the roof.. once i get the doors apart, it i'll go on the doors. i havent installed it on the floor pan yet because im still debating about bagging this truck and i dont want to install it to only rip it out.

#26 ·
The 900 dollars of stuff I have picked out is everything. I plan on getting carpet and a headliner. This will most likely be a winter project so I will probably take the door panels off and put some in there as well as some 6.5s. I was just confused with all the different options of deadeners.

#27 ·
Second skin is the best out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.