disable passkey? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

disable passkey?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Misses the vette

disable passkey?

recently (sunday) my tuck would not start. fuel pump wouldnt prime. so i had to pay 80 bux the next day (yesterday) i tried to start it on a whim. and the damn thing fired right up! so this leads me to believe its my passkey. i didnt have a scurity light blinking or on. and i waited the 10 minutes to try and start it again, and it didnt work. and i also have a check engine light on. once i can get this thing to work as it should, im gonna take it to autozone and have a nuddy run a diag scan on it. if it is to be my passkey system, how do i disable it? when it is disabled, will i still be able to use the remote key fob? if so, when i hit the lock button 2wice, will the horn still beep so it can mimic having an alarm?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: disable passkey?

Passkey is done by resistance through the ignition cylinder and the BCM. You can disable it for good, and it will not affect the factory keyless. What you need to do is find the passkey wires on the ing. cylinder, cut the resistance wire (usually yellow). Find the ground wire that is usually orange/black using a multi meter set it to ohms and place one lead between the ground the the KEY-side of the resistance wire. DO NOT CUT THE GROUND. Once you figure out what the resistance is get that number using one or many reisitors (most times i have had to use many) and place it between the ground and the CAR side of the resistance wire. And just simply tape off the key side.

If you security light is not flashing when you are having this trouble it is not your passlock though. Have you checked a fuel pump relay? Or a fuse. Wont prime if it doesnt have power.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Misses the vette

but the resistance is from the lil resistor chip in the key, which our blazer do not have. my vette had one. the other ways i just read about for disabling it what to cut the yellow wire and put a switch on it. but there was a comment about if the battery ever dies or the cable is disconnected while the wire is in the "open" state, you could never beable to start it again with that ecm/bcm combo. i dont want to try that as my truck is sucking up many volts.

fuel pump relay is good, i switched it out with the horn relay when trying to troubleshoot my system. fuse is good (ECM B). i looked online at all the schematics i could find through my truckputer. one thing i may think it could be is the oil pressure sender / fuel cut off switch. i dont understand why that fuel cutoff switch is even on there. regardless of the oil pressure, the fuel pump will still be on. the next time it acts like that on me, i will jumper(short) that switch and see of that does anything.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by americasfuture2k
but the resistance is from the lil resistor chip in the key, which our blazer do not have. my vette had one. the other ways i just read about for disabling it what to cut the yellow wire and put a switch on it. but there was a comment about if the battery ever dies or the cable is disconnected while the wire is in the "open" state, you could never beable to start it again with that ecm/bcm combo. i dont want to try that as my truck is sucking up many volts.
Both false.

The resitance on Passlok 1 and 2 is built into the ignition cylinder. "Passkey" sometimes referd to as "Passkey 1", has a pellet in the key shaft.

The idea of not being able to start the vehicle if the battery ever died i completly false. I work with these systems daily.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Misses the vette

Quote: Originally Posted by The_Raven
Both false.

The resitance on Passlok 1 and 2 is built into the ignition cylinder. "Passkey" sometimes referd to as "Passkey 1", has a pellet in the key shaft.

The idea of not being able to start the vehicle if the battery ever died i completly false. I work with these systems daily.
ohhh ok, thank you for clearing that up for me. so i take it passlock/passkey 1 is what i delt with on my 95 vette. i was going off of info i saw on the most reliable source.......the internet
Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
forum idiot

your vette has vats.. a totally different system..

if it is a passlock problem the truck would start then die.. not just do nothing...
Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #7

You can disable it(if you don't mind the security light being on)simply by starting the truck and then cutting the yellow passlock wire. The light will come on everytime you have the truck running. It is bypassed this way because the system goes into a fault mode and the default from GM is to let the vehical start every time regardless of passlock. Key is you MUST start the truck BEFORE cutting the wire.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
forum idiot

Quote: Originally Posted by skyhawk
You can disable it(if you don't mind the security light being on)simply by starting the truck and then cutting the yellow passlock wire. The light will come on everytime you have the truck running. It is bypassed this way because the system goes into a fault mode and the default from GM is to let the vehical start every time regardless of passlock. Key is you MUST start the truck BEFORE cutting the wire.
never tried that... but that would piss me off...that damn light...

i would just put a resistor in lne like said before.. that is how my blazer is done...
Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Misses the vette

i like that resistor idea better if it doesnt mean cutting my wire. could you provide more info for that resistor mod.

Last edited by americasfuture2k; 12-18-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
forum idiot

Quote: Originally Posted by americasfuture2k
i like that resistor idea better if it doesnt mean cutting my wire than cutting my wire. could you provide more info for that resistor mod.
in his post he tells you how to do it.. minus pics...

but did the truck start then die...or just not start
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Misses the vette

just not start. the fuel pump wouldnt prime. i think it was a harness that was cut and i repaired and extended a bit. i found it resting on the pass side exhaust pipe right before it goes into the 2 to 1 when i was installing my amp wire through where i had an antenna wire. (no longer have a radio tuner, truckputer replaced it) ive ordered a new harness from s10warehouse. cant wait for it to come in! solve a few electrical problems.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
forum idiot

if it would just not start at all it is not a passlock issue...

passlock issues would cause the truck to start then die..
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
Misses the vette

ah ok. im 94.54% sure its from my hack job harness. but the thing that gets me is that the part of the harness i saw melted was the cable set that goes to the 20 pin connector on the tranny, the speedo sensor, and i think the rear o2.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #14

More false information.

If that wire is cut then the reistance value can not be seen by the BCM/Guage cluster (depends on vehicle for which controls the function), and will not start.

Last edited by The_Raven; 12-19-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #15

If you start the truck first and then cut the wire it will stay running and pu the passlock systm into fault mode and allows the vehical to be started with the passlock sytem over rode. This is NOT false information, it is straight out of the service manual!
More false information.

If that wire is cut then the reistance value can not be seen by the BCM/Guage cluster (depends on vehicle for which controls the function), and will not start.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #16

A resistor and a few minutes of time is much easier and then you have no dummy lights on either.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #17

If you start the truck first and then cut the wire it will stay running and pu the passlock systm into fault mode and allows the vehical to be started with the passlock sytem over rode. This is NOT false information, it is straight out of the service manual!
It is false, I work with these systems.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
Broken Handed Superman

More false information.

Nice try but his info is actually CORRECT!!! i've done it before(long story... stupid oldsmobile) and if you browse around the12volt... people were doing that for a while.... Idk what you do for a living but dont come on here acting all high and mighty shooting everyone down... just cause you've never done it doesnt mean it doesnt work
Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote: Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic
Nice try but his info is actually CORRECT!!! i've done it before(long story... stupid oldsmobile) and if you browse around the12volt... people were doing that for a while.... Idk what you do for a living but dont come on here acting all high and mighty shooting everyone down... just cause you've never done it doesnt mean it doesnt work
I install remote starters daily, this doesn't work, nor would it be a good way to do it, if it did work.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #20
Misses the vette

crap......what have i started
Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #21
Broken Handed Superman

I install remote starters daily, this doesn't work, nor would it be a good way to do it, if it did work.
Congrads.. i'm MECP first class and an electronics engineer... when i do the alarm/rs im doing tonight on a blazer i'll do it just to prove it to u if u really want... if u dont want to believe me then dont... but it works
Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #22

Congrads.. i'm MECP first class and an electronics engineer... when i do the alarm/rs im doing tonight on a blazer i'll do it just to prove it to u if u really want... if u dont want to believe me then dont... but it works
It hasn't worked the dozen or so times I've accidentally "tried it" (over the 14+ years I've been installing), meaning reading the resistance after the car is started, shut it off, and the car would not start again until I reconnected the wire.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #23
forum idiot

but yet you still could not find the tach wire at the coil...lol

ya know what i want to try this now.....the next passkey 2 truck i do i will try this...
Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 AM   #24
Broken Handed Superman

Quote: Originally Posted by orangesonoma
but yet you still could not find the tach wire at the coil...lol

ya know what i want to try this now.....the next passkey 2 truck i do i will try this...
haha thanks ass i was tired lol...

yea i've done it only once(well i didnt do it i suggested it and it worked).. we were doing an oldsmobile... the one u gotta pull the radio to get the ign wires.. well we couldnt get 4 555Ls to program and were about to give up when i remembered id heard this so we tried it and worked perfectly... it was a good thing it was a friend of ours car and she didnt care about the light and we told her about the switch... no problems yet and that was 3 years ago
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #25

I install alarms starters etc for a living(been doing it professionally since 95). Not only do I know it works from experiance, but I have MANY contacts at a local GM dealer that verified what I posted. I am relatively new to this forum, and I do not want to stir up trouble, but I would not post false info.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #26

security light just came on (and stayed on, didnt flash) for me on the way home from work but truck didnt die. I'm assuming this might be a passlock issue? Anyway, good info at the top of this thread. Any chance theres the same writeup w/ pics? I'd hate to cut the wrong wire since its "usually" yellow, I'll have to dbl check fuses as well I suppose. Hope it starts later for me w/o dying.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #27
forum idiot

you are 100% wrong i was working on a 04 chevy trailblazer that has passlock 2 and i started the truck and then cut the yellow wire... security light turned on and i was able to start the truck over and over again...

and as soon as i reconnected the wire the light went away and back to normal
Old 02-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #28

google passlock 2 bypass

http://members.tripod.com/alarmtek/VATS.html
http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PLDATA

my truck has done this couple times 99 silverado secruity light comes on when driving doesnt die and will start right back up when i turn it off with the light still on. most the time its because when u go to strated it the key kinda of gets hung up activting the passlock shit.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
Good Bye SonomaST

your info is false. i work with these systems too AND am factory trained by GM, and from their factory trained instructors mouth, "if you have a vehicle with Passkey that will not start, CUT the yellow wire on the passkey module AFTER you have started the vehicle and have it running, the ECM and BCM will go into default mode because it will think that a wire got cut during an accident or chaffing and fr safety purposes the vehicle will restart." Then i went to work that afternoon and lo and behold had a 99 Jimmy come in with a passkey problem, so me and my tech tried it, cut the wire, the ****er started every damn time without a hitch. You might work with these systems everyday, but im afraid you are mistaken this time around. GM trainers wouldn't tell ya that if it didn't work, TRAINERS, not engineers, or anyone else, they will all lie through their teeth.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #30
forum idiot

i should have made a video of it working...and even takin pics of my bypassing the passlock ..oh well next time
Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #31

my truck is doing thwe start and then dies after about 1-2 second could this be passlock messin with me ? and if i cant get the truck to stay runnng how will i disable the passlock? alos is passlock on all gm cars 99 and up
Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #32
Misses the vette

if it is constanly doing that after ruinning, then its your fuel pump killing over more than likely. check your fuel pressure. if it doesnt read around 40 psi, then its something with the fuel system. i am going through all this in my fiero gt right now. i am replacing my pump with a walbro 255 to accomidate for all the mods and engine swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.