S-10 Forum banner

How to Get Started / Guidelines

19K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  Wolverine1889 
#1 ·
If you have a topic in mind, that's great. Get in touch with me and let's talk about it. I'll want to know what the topic is, whether and how you'll get photos for it and how big you think the article will be. I'll also want to know when you plan on doing it, and some contact information. If it all sounds good, you're free to charge ahead.

With that, you'll become a TECH Exchange Writer and you'll find that there is a "Working" forum available here. You can use this as your working area, or just to post your finished work. Either way, you have to tell me when your article is ready for editing.

Once your work is reviewed and accepted, it will be moved to a topic forum and become visible for all to admire. If you enjoyed doing this, you can start on another one.

Content Guidelines

To get started, you need an approved topic and a plan. You don’t have to be an accomplished writer, but we hope that you can follow a few simple ideas. The main one is called The Five W’s, and this will give you the content of your story. Each of the five W’s represents a question that someone reading your work is going to have. To write a great submission, just answer the questions.

Who - Who is doing this/who makes this?
What - What is it? What is the job / fix / modification?
When - How recent is this? When do I need it?
Where - Where can I get it? Where do I use it?
Why - Why do I care? What problem does this solve?

On top of this, there are just a couple of other important things to keep in mind. First, write everything yourself. Do not copy text from someone else's web site or posts. Before you are ready to send in your submission, please run it through a spell check tool. If you need a free access one, just go to Spellchecker.net - Spell Checker, Web Spell Check Solutions

It is also a good idea to have someone else read through it before clicking the Send button. Another point of view may find something that you missed. Taking these steps will help to get your work through the approval process more quickly.

Photo Guidelines

Everything that you talk about will be a lot easier to understand if you have some photos with the written work. We need digital photos only and color ones are preferred. You don’t need a fancy camera if you follow a few simple ideas.
Please ensure that your photos are in focus, well lit and show what you're talking about. Before sending your photos, resize them to 1024 pixels on the longest side.

If you did not take the photos yourself, you must include the real name and email of the photographer. Please do not "scoop" photos from another web site or online source without their explicit permission. If you have permission, you must also include a photo credit.

Video Guidelines

If there is relevant video available, please include a link. If you are linking to someone else’s work on YouTube or another video sharing service, we will credit you with one additional point upon approval. If the video is produced by you, additional credits will be given. Please do not produce video on speculation, though. Talk to the TECH EXCHANGE Editor ahead of time to avoid duplication or disappointment.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am actually doing LOTS of work on my chevrolet s-10 and the following things I can actually do for the "tech exchange" for free especially if it helps somebody else from the hours of wondering how the heck to do that to get to there and so on.

1) Starter selenoid/starter replacement.
2) Smog Check valve replacement.
3) PCV Valve replacement
4) Coolant temperature switch replacement
5) Oil pressure switch replacement
6) If your heater core is leaking fluid how to bypass that so that your fluid doesn't leak all over the inside of your truck.
7) Neutral clutch switch test/replacement
8) Fuel filter replacement how to (for S-10s this is something that is a PAIN without the right filter, not only that you would need to watch for something when you actually purchase the filter so that it will actually work).
9) Fuel pump replacement (soon to come as I am not able to do it just yet)
10) How-to replace vacuum line correctly (I have heard people do it with just about everything and dont do the right correction which means the truck/car isn't running optimally).

#11 ·
LUMBARDi have a 2002 s10 4.3l 4x4 it will not ingage 4wd put on jacks put in 4hi & 4lo front shaft dont move but move shaft by hand front tire move put back in 2wd shaft spins freely is this a problem with t-case or t-cases motor and how do i know if the motors bad i can hear it working

#12 ·
I have a question and if anyone could help me out that would be great. I have two GMC Sonomas, both are2.2l five speeds. One is a 98 regular cab short step side box,( well it was but now it's just a frame,for now) the other is a 94 regular cab short box. The 98 is apart and I want to mod the head on the 94. What I'm wondering is if the head off the 98 will fit on the 94?

#14 ·
Hello everybody, Like most I also need help. I hope I am conducting myself correctly. I have a 95 S10 4 cylinder standard 5 speed. I can't get it to pass smog on the low end 15 mile an hour. When i originally bought the truck it needed a catalytic converter, had it installed and it passed no problem. I'm not the best mechanic but some time ago I blew the head gasket and managed to fix it with help from a buddy of mine. Long story short I have to smog it again, didn't pass, had a new cat installed thinking that would do it but it's not. Did the tune up and oil change and it's still not passing. My question is, it was sitting for a while so I suspect the old fuel may be contributing to the high NOx, should I run it all out? Do i need to check or change something else, ie. the egr? the pcv? Help please, also I'mn wondering if maybe I didn't connect all the vacuum lines correctly. Is it possible to see a picture of how it all goes together. Thanks folks. I have always liked the body style of the S10s now I got 1 and I wanna fix 'er up. Thanks again.....

#15 ·
Hi. I have a 96 Sonoma with a 4.3 and auto tranny with a severely bent frame and a 98 Sonoma with a 2.2, also auto tranny.

The 4.3 in the 96 was rebuilt less than 20,000 miles ago. the 98's 2.2 was rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago, but the transmission seems to slip a lot and it's either got a bad head gasket or cracked head.

What I am wondering is how much of a pain it would be to take the engine and transmission out of the 96 and put it into the 98.

#18 ·
hi i am not a computer guy. having said that, im looking for help. local garage installed used rear end in my 2001 S-10. should have been 3.42, however i think they mistakenly sent wrong rear end, possibly a 3.08. my speedo is off by 15 mph @ 65 mph. speedo says 80 mph but actual speed is 65 mph. is there a fix without swapping in another rear? thanks

#20 ·
hello i am new to this forum and looking for advise! i have a 1986 S 10 Durango edition, stick shift. Whenever i take off in first after completely stopping, i loose a LOT of power and the engine bogs down. does any one know what is causing the problem and/or a solution?? please help!!!!

#45 ·
#22 ·
I have a 91 S10 4.3 that the intake manifold was leaking coolant and the radiator was leaking coolant as well so a mechanic disassembled the truck and put back together with a new intake manifold gasket EGR valve radiator but he did connect a high volt starter to my battery because it was dead and now the fuel gauge EVERY time that I put in ignition the fuel gauge marks over full and when I take the key out it slowly starts falling. Could any one help me out?

#23 ·
I have a 91 S10 4.3 that the intake manifold was leaking coolant and the radiator was leaking coolant as well so a mechanic disassembled the top of the engine and put it back together with a new intake manifold gasket EGR valve radiator but he did connect a high volt starter to my battery because it was dead and now the fuel gauge EVERY time that I put in ignition the fuel gauge marks over full and when I take the key out it slowly starts falling. Could any one help me out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.