This applies to 98-02 S-Series with the factory 1.5 Din head unit. I'd seen a few pics of this done but never really a thorough step-by-step description of the process, so I thought I'd throw this together for anyone interested. This actually isn't that difficult at all, there's minimal cutting involved, you just gotta have a little patience.
- '03 and up Dash Bezel
- Metra '99-'03 GM Multi-kit (Any GM double din mounting kit should work though) Side Note:
I'm told Schosche makes an S-Series double din kit that should bolt right up, maybe someone can confirm this?
- 5 minute epoxy glue
- A dremel, or your cutting tool of choice
First of all, a comparison shot of the two different bezels, the top one is the guy you're looking for. Snap one up if you see it cause they can be tough to find!
Now, once you've got everything out, you're going to need to do a little trimming. On top, you'll need to take about a quarter inch out of the plastic support piece, and then while I didn't get a great shot of it, you'll need to trim off the piece that supports the factory head unit. This will give you enough clearance to fit your double din unit.
As it turns out, I took off waaay more than I needed to up top, but you get the idea. Now you're gonna have to fab up your own mounting brackets, so grab some masking tape, then take some time popping the new bezel on and off to figure out exactly where you want everything to sit. It'll make it easier to get some measurements that way too.
Now, you're gonna need to modify you're mounting kit a bit, you'll see what needs to be trimmed off when you test fit it. Then you'll need to fab up some ears where the kit will mount to the dash. I just cut up some extra pieces that came with the kit, but I'd reccommend using something a little bigger, as the pieces I used left you VERY little room to work with as you can see. This is also where your epoxy glue (or any high strength adhesive) comes in to play. This part will be holding a fair bit of weight, so don't be afraid to go nuts with it.
And there she is! I wasn't totally loving how little the left side screw was holding, so I popped in a self tapping screw just for extra support. I'll probably go back and re-do that part later.
And After! It looks a little crooked because I didn't have the bezel totally buttoned up yet, but you get the idea.
Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out, looks much more factory than a single din unit with a bunch of plastic around it, plus I love my D3!!