How do I fix door rattle? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How do I fix door rattle?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Interior Styling
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

User is: OffLine
How do I fix door rattle?

Since I'm going to have all 4 door panels off I thought I'd ask this to hopefully resolve the problem. When I hit bumps I here rattles coming from the doors(mainly front ones) I'm pretty sure it's the handle and lock rods by the sound of the rattle. If I'm right is there anyway to fix this?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #2

Re: How do I fix door rattle?

You can try replacing those white plastic clips that hold the panels on. They look like a tree, and if they get worn the don't hold as well causing rattles. I replaced mine on my drivers door and it helped a bit. To get rid of it all together you'd probably have to line the edge of the door panel with something like the soft part of a velco strip, just to stop the plastic on metal rattling.
I actually used the felt pads that are made for the bottom of furniture on wood floors on one of my door panels and it helped quite a bit. The rattle is still there, but not nearly as much as it was.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Thanks that makes sense and I'll probably do that and I've never thought about lining the panel in something like that to quiten it down more.. But I have the passengers side panel off and it's still rattling.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

If it rattles without a door panel on it then it's the door itself, and not the panel you want to look at. When the door is open you can lift up on it and if it moves at all then your hinges are shot, and you're probably looking at replacing them. You can also see if the door latch needs to be tightened/adjusted. When I first got my truck my driver side door rattled like crazy. I just adjusted the bar that the door latch clamps on to and it fixed the problem.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Naw it doesn't move. I replaced the front bushings on the doors about 3 months ago. Isn't the only way to adjust the door hinge is to actually loosen the striker? By bar you are talkin about the striker right?

I've never used it and I don't know how strong it is but I was thinking about spraying clear plasti dip rubber coating on the strikers and those door lock and handle rods, they come with plastic mesh on them from the factory and I'm not really sure what their for but everyone I've seen falls apart if you touch it.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #6

I don't know the actual name of them lol, so I was trying to describe them best I can. What I mean is the latch on the B pillar of the truck that the door clamps on to. Is striker what those are called? lol.
I don't know about that rubber stuff you talk about either..I'd never heard of it. All I had done to mine was loosen the bolts that attach the striker a bit and move it out slightly so the door latch grabs on to it tightly.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Yeah it's called the door striker.

Like I said I've never used it but I figured I'd spray it on the rods and test it on something else I have laying around the garage to see how strong it is then if it's pretty strong I'll spray it on the latch or striker. I'm pretty sure it's the same coating that comes on the Channel Lock tools handles.

You moved the striker out? I would think that'd make the door looser. I would think to make it fit tighter and not rattle as much that you'd have to move it in towards the interior.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #8

How bad were you door pins when you changed them out? cause if you left it to long it is possible that the holes on your hinges where the door pin goes in has ovaled. double check your door pins though. I really don't think the door panel could vibrate bad enough to drive ya nuts.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Not that bad, they weren't "wollared" out or anything.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #10

My truck had a noise in the door every time you hit a bump or braked hard. It went away though so I do not know what it was.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Good for you
Old 06-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
I ask Questions

mine came from metal fatigue of the plat that holds the window trim on. it broke on one side and raddled like hell till i pulled the trim lose then worked the metal till the other side broke. now no rattle and it seams to hold really good so i'm cool with the fact its not there. im the only one that knows its not there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.