stock 4x4 to ZR2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

stock 4x4 to ZR2

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > Liftin' It General
New User? Register Forgot Password


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Age: 35
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
Location: Bel Air, MD
User is: OffLine
stock 4x4 to ZR2

I want to turn a standard 1998 4x4 into a ZR2. What is the difference between the to...I don't have 4 hours to look at all the post to find out..so if someone can help me, I would really appreciated it. I work at a GMC dealership. What do I need, or is there a lift kit that does the same thing. I have read about a lot of problems with a 2-3 inch lift kits. Any info would be great.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
3 Leaf Fab
 
Donahue's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,059
Location: Keizer, OR
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Quote: Originally Posted by M866
I want to turn a standard 1998 4x4 into a ZR2. What is the difference between the to...I don't have 4 hours to look at all the post to find out..so if someone can help me, I would really appreciated it. I work at a GMC dealership. What do I need, or is there a lift kit that does the same thing. I have read about a lot of problems with a 2-3 inch lift kits. Any info would be great.
the frames, fenders, axles, suspension components, etc are different. you could achive the zr2 look with some flairs, a small lift (maybe shackles and t-bar crank or BL) and wheel spacers. but to make it actually a zr2, you would really have to build if from scratch, from the frame up. you would think it would be simple, but in reality its a complete waste of time and money. for the amount of money and work, you could have a SFA s10 that would be 10x better than the zr2 anyways.

btw, welcome to the forum
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Baggey22's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,130
Location: Johnson, Vermont
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

A ZR2 is different in a few ways. They are a few inches wider and the suspension is a few inches higher. I don't know the actual numbers. They also have a stronger rear end, which also comes limited slip. Finally in looks they have fender flares to cover the 31" tires that come stock.
To achieve the look of a ZR2 at minimum you'd have to get a 2" body lift and put 31" tires on your truck. Then get fender flares. The fender flares won't look exactly like what comes on a ZR2 but you can get ones that are pretty close. Then get a locker or mini spool or something for your rear axle to match that of a ZR2.
If you want to go bigger you can either get a 5 or 6 inch suspension lift kit OR do a solid axle swap.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Age: 35
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
Location: Bel Air, MD
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Well I don't care about the wheels and tires and rear end, fenders are the same(fender flares) and the width is the same too... Just different offset wheel's.. I was looking at the lift. What is the different? I was told the rear leaf spring are different, But what about the front??
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
3 Leaf Fab
 
Donahue's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,059
Location: Keizer, OR
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Quote: Originally Posted by Baggey22
A ZR2 is different in a few ways. They are a few inches wider and the suspension is a few inches higher. I don't know the actual numbers. They also have a stronger rear end, which also comes limited slip. Finally in looks they have fender flares to cover the 31" tires that come stock.
To achieve the look of a ZR2 at minimum you'd have to get a 2" body lift and put 31" tires on your truck. Then get fender flares. The fender flares won't look exactly like what comes on a ZR2 but you can get ones that are pretty close. Then get a locker or mini spool or something for your rear axle to match that of a ZR2.
If you want to go bigger you can either get a 5 or 6 inch suspension lift kit OR do a solid axle swap.
3.9" wider (100 mm), about 3" taller, they have the disked 8.5 with a gov lock. the gov lock is fairly common in s10s or so i hear, and the 8.5 gov lock can be found in a lot of full size trucks.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
3 Leaf Fab
 
Donahue's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,059
Location: Keizer, OR
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Quote: Originally Posted by M866
Well I don't care about the wheels and tires and rear end, fenders are the same(fender flares) and the width is the same too... Just different offset wheel's.. I was looking at the lift. What is the different? I was told the rear leaf spring are different, But what about the front??
in a nut shell, the mounting points are lower on the frame. there is some debate on the difference in the springs, and i have yet to figure that one out, but the front frame is different, allowing the control arms to mount lower, and the rear uses a combination of different springs, and different brackets that mount the springs.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Age: 35
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
Location: Bel Air, MD
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

I am very sorry, I just talk to my man at work...and You guys are right...I can not bolt on a ZR2. Thanks for the info... I really like the fact the guys responded right away.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Supa
 
Gushers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,065
Location: Hastings, MN
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Quote: Originally Posted by M866
Well I don't care about the wheels and tires and rear end, fenders are the same(fender flares) and the width is the same too... Just different offset wheel's.. I was looking at the lift. What is the different? I was told the rear leaf spring are different, But what about the front??
Fenders are completely different, I have the zr2 fenders and box and the normal fenders and box, I'm just waiting to finish body work and paint it to put it on. larger tires, 3.73 rear end so its a lot easier to just try and get the look than to 'build' a ZR2
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
goin broke but n style
 
S15vortecpwr's Avatar
 
Age: 33
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,712
Location: Wetumpka, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

do a body swap with a Zr2 fame. That will get you a ZR2 using your truck
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
blah
 
Layn Dime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,305
Location: SC
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

just buy a zr2?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
Registered User
 
foxracing584's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 258
Location: Odessa. fl
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Quote: Originally Posted by Cluster
just buy a zr2?
sounds good to me. i would.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Banned
 
Age: 27
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,361
Location: warner robins, GA
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

actually no, the fenders are NOT THE SAME. lol. there cut out about an inch wider opening than regular fenders and have a lip that stick out about an inch inside the flares that the flares bolt to. also the fenders have lik 8 holes drilled in them. it would take some work to put actual zr2 flares on a regular s10 fender. just get the bushwhacker look a like zr2 flares. as for the suspension and frame. completely different. the frame has more reinforcements, the suspension mounting points are dropped slightly giving it the "lift" and its wider up front. not to mention stock 3.73 gears and a eaton g80 gov-lock out back. and of course factory 31" tires. all you would really have to do to make it resemble a zr2 is get a small lift, some wheel spacers + wider rims, bigger tires, and some flares. it would look close, but you would still see a difference.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
Registered User
 
sapperb's Avatar
 
Age: 53
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,114
Location: Cali, High Dezert
User is: OffLine
Re: stock 4x4 to ZR2

Quote: Originally Posted by Cluster
just buy a zr2?
YUP!! Thats why I did. I love having a bowtie for the dezert and bowtie for the mud!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.