Coil Spring Installation - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Coil Spring Installation

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > Liftin' It General
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 AM   #1

Coil Spring Installation

This weekend I found out that moog 5662s are only 68 bucks at autozone- and will probably buy them sometime this spring. But i was wondering if anyone had step by step instructions for installing these longer springs. Like from taking the wheel off to putting it back on with the new springs on. Just was wondering how much of a pain its gonna be. I think i have all the other tools other than spring compressors. But any tips, tricks, or ideas for other tools that would be helpful would be nice. Thank you.
GUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 04:32 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Coil Spring Installation

OK,
The Moog 5662 coil spring is not a taller spring but it is got a heavier spring rate (that is how you will get lift) if you have a standard cab with a 4 cyl you will get 1-1 1/4" of lift
after spring settles and if you have an ex-cab with a V6 and air you are only going to get 1/2" of lift, if this the case go to a Moog 5664 coil spring.

To install spring lift truck with jack and place jack stand under frame and remove front tire and remove swaybar link from lower control arm and the tie rod from the spindle and remove shock too and place jack under lower control arm and jack up high enough to take some of the pressure off of front coil spring.
With jack under lower control arm unbolt upper ball joint and seperate ball joint from spindle, you do this lowering jack (sometimes the ball joint will seperate) if not try a ball joint seperator (becareful the coil spring does not pop out and hit you when you lower the jack) once you seperate the upper ball joint from the spindle lower the jack and use a long prybar to remove coil sring from the lower control arm (once again becareful the coil spring does not pop out and hit you)
Once you remove the coil spring you may want to replace your upper ball joint if it looks to be in bad shape.

To install new coil springs remove rubber donut form top of old coil spring (2nd generation S10's have them on top and bottom) and install rubber donuts to new coil springs ( i use black or duct tape to hold the donuts to coil springs)
Now use a spring compressor to compress the coil spring so you can install it between shock droop and lower control arm.
Now comes the tricky part:
You will need to find out what end of the coil spring is the top, the top is sometimes spot painted white if not the paper that is in the coil spring box will tell you witch side is the top.
install the top of the coil spring into the shock droop and make sure you turn the spring so the end of the bottom of the coil spring fits into the pocket of the lower control arm.
you may have to lower the lower control contol arm so it fits or compress the coil spring so it fits into the coil spring pocket, if the coil spring is installed correctly the bottom end of the coil spring will sit in between the two inspection holes in lower control arm and you may have to raise the jack to keep the spring from sliding out during install.
Once the spring is seated correctly into the lower control arm you can start raiseing the jack so you can rebolt the upper ball joint to the spindle.
as you raiseing the jack the coil spring will pop back into place if it is seated correctly.
now you can rebolt the ball joint to the spindle and lower the jack and remove the spring compressor and install the front shock, swaybar link, tie rod end and front tire.
Take your truck and have it re-aligned and you are good to go.

Now if this sounds hard it's not, just take your time and you will be fine and just remember that RedBaron does this just for kicks

Last edited by barryjames; 01-23-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks PeeWee-
I actually have the zq8 version so i think i'll actually get maybe 2.5" of lift. Thanks for all the instructions. But how exactly does a heavier spring rate give the truck lift? Would longer coils give it lift? Thanks
GUS
Old 01-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Insert witty remark here

The heavier spring rate gives it the lift because the engine wont compress the coil as much thus leaving yoru truck higher.

Pee-Wee thats a good write up. Ive tried it once on my truck and couldnt not cmpress the springs enough by myself. As soon as the balljoint touched the spindle the entire truck started lifting. Guess Ill have to have someone sit on the fron end or something to get the balljoint to go through the spindle so I can bolt it up. Or have another hand around so I can compress the spring better with the spring compressor. Ill try again when I have a free weekend to replace my balljoints and tie rods at the same time.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #5

If you have the ZQ8 coil springs you will get that amount of lift, are you going with a different leafspring or shackles to lift the back?
Back to the question,
Most S10's come with a Moog 5658 or a 5660 coil spring equivilant.
The spring height of a 5660 is 13.159"
5662 is 13.149"
Te 5662 is a little shorter then the 5660, so how does the 5662 give you more lift?
the spring rate of a 5660 is 639 lbs and 5662 is 706 lbs and because the moog 5662 will support more weight this is how you get more lift.
Fabtechs 2.5 lift coil spring and Rough Countrys lift coil spring both get there lift from a heavier spring rate not from height.
Keep in mind the heavier spring rate the stiffer the ride.
The ZQ8 coil springs and other lowering coil springs on the other hand are a shorter coil spring, they use the same spring rate as a moog 5658 or 5660 coil springs they are shorter.
If you go from a ZQ8 spring to a moog 5662 coil spring your camber and caster is going to change a lot so i would highly recomend getting your truck aligned ASAP after you change springs.
Good Luck
Old 01-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #6

mindless maybe use a couple clamps to compress the spring if its seated already
Old 01-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #7

Thanks guys-
I understand now. SO then would the 5664's give maybe a little more lift since they will compress even less with the weight of the engine?

[QUOTE=PeeWee]If you have the ZQ8 coil springs you will get that amount of lift, are you going with a different leafspring or shackles to lift the back?

Yeah i'm switching over to some v6 leafsprings in the back and then probably an inch worth of shackle lift. I also got new wheels and plan to get bigger tires for the back. My wheels are 15x8. I'm not sure if 235 75 will fit in or not. I hope so.
THANKS
GUS
Old 01-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by sonoma driver
mindless maybe use a couple clamps to compress the spring if its seated already
your kidding right!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
Insert witty remark here

What would be your suggestion for my delima PeeWee. Just have some extra hands around so I can tighten the spring compressor a little more to bolt everything back up? It would be nice if I had a vise then I wouldnt have to have the extra hands.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #10

If the coil springs are the same length as the others shouldn't it be almost the same as taking the old ones out or putting stock coils back in? They would just compress a little harder right?
GuS-
Do i need to torq any of this stuff when i'm done?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #11

Smile Re: Coil Spring Installation

Last year I bought a 97 s10 from my neighbor that some jackass " lowered" and I say it like that cause it was not the proper way..but I took it upon myself to restore this truck to its proper state.. thanks to reading all of these post I was able to redo all the suspenaion work and I am by far no mechanic but I did it!! I want to thank all of you for your post n help now I got the RED DRAGON back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.