ac to air compressor.... how to? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ac to air compressor.... how to?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > Liftin' It General
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
ac to air compressor.... how to?

what is involved to turn my stock ac into a air compressor? herd of it being done but just want to know what i need to do to get it to work. any and all help is apreiated.
PS. i will be running a little tank inside the cab to help with sustained usage.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Spark Plugs Are Overrated

Re: ac to air compressor.... how to?

"They say" that it isn't a good idea to run a Sanden compressor for an air compressor, but I don't have any experience with them so I can't say for sure. With that said, I believe Contact420 has converted his to be used as a compressor, so if he doesn't chime in shoot him a PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Electrical Mod

I also have heard that the s10 a/c compressors do not last long as air compressors. But if you want to do it, it's pretty easy as far as the compressor part, on the outlet tube, mod the stock fitting to run air line and have a high pressure switch to kill the compressor. THen have a wiring setup to turn the compressor on whenever you need it. On the intake side, you need a filter, and I believe some method to oil the compressor, otherwise it will fail without oil.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

The stock S10 one? If so that is of a Harison MFG design. The swash plate and pistons share in the common intake of the compressor. This means it has no oil sump like a Sanden compressor.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/h...c-pump-241840/

Long story short there is no easy way to oil it and have it last as an air compressor.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Electrical Mod

Thanks for posting that link doug, I never realized that our air compressors were axial piston pumps. I had to take a class on them for my work. They are a pretty ingenious design, too bad they have a fixed swash plate, otherwise you could move the swash plate versus having a clutch to engage/disengage when the HVAC is on a low setting.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote: Originally Posted by deathphoenix99
Thanks for posting that link doug, I never realized that our air compressors were axial piston pumps. I had to take a class on them for my work. They are a pretty ingenious design, too bad they have a fixed swash plate, otherwise you could move the swash plate versus having a clutch to engage/disengage when the HVAC is on a low setting.
I know Variable displacement would be awesome!

Just like a hydro static transition.

To bad they can not make engines like that!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

ok well maby not a s10 ac but i have herd of a few jeep guys doing this? thye have a diff. pump?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
Spark Plugs Are Overrated

Your probably talking about the York compressor, that's what I'm going to put on mine.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #9

yes that is the one.... but it looks bigger? might have to make some fancy mounts to hold it all under the hood? did any of the yorks come with a sirpintine setup?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Stock d*mnit

word is a mid 80s mustang is the only thing that you can find a york with a serp setup and its rare(might even just be a rumor)

but you can buy the correct pully and cluch for a gm serp set up

Last edited by Gorillaz; 05-24-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #11

I have my blazer A/c compressor being used as an Air compressor. I put a filter and an adjustable inline oiler on the inlet side. on the outlet side I connected a presure switch, blow-off valve, and quick connect.

Heres a shot of the engine bay showing how I set it up in there.

The inlet filter isnt on in this pic. Didn't have one at the time, I wanted one with 1/2" pipe thread.

the switch and relay, I have the 20A breaker burried in the wiring in there.

and the presure switch, an air guage for compressor side presure, then the regulator and a guage for tank side presure, and finally a quick connect for my air tank which has a blow-off valve.

The oiler is set a little conservative with the oil Flow, after all I don't want it to run out. I need to put on the filter/water seporator in the presure side to keep the oil out of the air tank, but I'm moving all of this into my truck and putting a bypass pulley on the blazer, I dont use it much on my blazer, and my truck is getting lifted and I have a tank I'm going to mount in the bed. I dont have air ride so as long as i keep it oiled I'm sure It will work for whatever I need, considering I use it to run air tools when I go to someones house to work on cars. I have a mobil repair shop in my truck, so the air is nice.

With the engine idled up to about 1500-2000 RPMs I could run my die grinder and that takes a BIG compressor to run. I haven't been able to use it until I did this setup.

I did alot of reading about this and as long as it stays oiled It should be good. One posting said the guy had his s10 compressor running his bags, on all 4 corners, until one day it ran dry and he didnt notice until it was too late.
He said he had been using it for aboiut two years and no problems until he forgot to check the oil.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Electrical Mod

Yes, but you don't have to worry about the oil after the compressor, if anything, it will help in the lifetime of your tools. But on air systems, you don't want the oil in the lines. Pretty neat setup, although I don't like where you mounted the gauges, looks like they'd be prone to be hit with rocks etc.....

Still, glad yours worked.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #13

ya they are in a bad spot but I havent hit anythink with them yet. anyways I am putting the steup in my truck after I get it lifted.

it will hit 130 easy any higher and the blow-off valve pops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.