3 inch body lift on a 00 s10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

3 inch body lift on a 00 s10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > Liftin' It General
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
3 inch body lift on a 00 s10

Ive heard yes you can make it work and no you cant. I was gonna get the pa 2 inch body lift. But my buddys dad just offered me a brand new 3 inch lift for a earliar model.. the 2 inch kit is 230 and he told me i could have his for 20. How hard is it to do this. What do i need besided the lift... Some who has done it please give me some info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Resident Post Whore

Re: 3 inch body lift on a 00 s10

I did a 3" BL on a first gen. Check out S10extremist.org if you want to find out more info on lifting or whatever. I've read that you can use the BL for the 1st gen pick-ups. But you'll have to make your bumper brackets.

$230, much less $200, is a rip-off. Go to 4wheelparts.com and order it from them. Look around for some coupon codes though. I didn't pay more than $100 for mine.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

It can be made to work. You will need to raise the front bumper with 3" lift blocks also. And the rear bumper will need brackets made. Lower the lower fan shroud 3". Extended the fuel filler neck. Extended the ground in the middle of the firewall. Your battery cables might be too short, mine were barely long enough with 2" BL. Im just thinking of what all had to be done to my truck for the 2" body lift.

TommyRocket has a 3" body lift on his 98 truck. Ask him if there was anything special he had to do.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

It can be made to work. You will need to raise the front bumper with 3" lift blocks also. And the rear bumper will need brackets made. Lower the lower fan shroud 3". Extended the fuel filler neck. Extended the ground in the middle of the firewall. Your battery cables might be too short, mine were barely long enough with 2" BL. Im just thinking of what all had to be done to my truck for the 2" body lift.

TommyRocket has a 3" body lift on his 98 truck. Ask him if there was anything special he had to do.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #5

I dont wanna pass up a bl for 20 bucks if its not that hard to custom fabricate lol
Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #6

For 20 bucks I wouldnt pass it up either. Id get it, install it and worry about the bumpers later.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
It's 2WD!

I just sent you a PM, but afterwards figured this could help someone out in the future so I'm posting it here too.

I've done a 2" on a friend's '97 4x4 Blazer and a 3" on my '98 2WD pickup. Your truck is a 4x4, right?

If it's a manual transmission, the shifter is going to hit the center console. Just cut out what it hits or make a new shifter. You will also need to unclip the clutch line from the lower part of the firewall to allow it to have enough slack.

If it's an automatic, keep an eye on the linkage as you lift the body up. I'm not sure if your truck has a shift cable or a mechanical linkage. If it is mechanical, you may want to disconnect it before you do the lift and then figure out if it has to be modified.

The front bumper can be lifted with blocks and is pretty easy. I cut out 2" lengths of thick walled tubing to raise the bumper on the Blazer. The rear bumper is more difficult. Easiest way to move it up would be to make new brackets out of some C-channel steel. I still have my rear bumper at stock height.

Get longer hoses for the filler neck. The neck might sit at a weird angle behind the fuel door after you extend it. You might have to use longer bolts and add washers between the bed and filler neck. I can send you pics to show you what I'm talking about.

If you are careful, the stock brake lines will stretch the 3 inches. Just make sure they are moving where they are coiled and don't have too much stress where they are bolted to the frame. It's easy to kink them and even easier if they are a little rusted.

Make sure any and all wires have slack in them. Disconnect the battery before you do the body lift. On the '97, we had to extend the ground cable to the battery. On my '98, the battery cables fit fine.

There is also a large ground wire that will probably need to be replaced with a longer one. It's a wide bare wire that's on the back of the engine. I found one in Jeg's that worked great. I didn't have to do this on the '97 4x4 2" lift or on my 2wd trucks 3" lift when it was a 4cylinder. I did have to do it once I swapped a 4.3 into my truck. I have the part number somewhere.

Also, the fan shroud will have to be modified. I just took the bottom half of mine off but you could cut it out or add spacers to it if you want to keep the lower half.

If you have the remote oil filter mount, you will also need to drop it or make longer lines for it.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Solid Axle MOD

And there you go.

I'm waiting for the parts to do the same, and completely forgot about the oil filter BS. I tossed my fan shroud lower on my 1st gen never had any problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Bold as Love

My blazer also has no lower fan shroud. No cooling problems to speak of, at low or high speeds.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #10

i did a 2inch on my 97 hombre and i had no problems with extanding anything i just put the bl on and thats it i did not raise my back bumper oh well would like to but no big deal....also when i took my lower shroud off i had over heating problems once i put it back my fan ate it up but no more over heating.....just my 2 cents
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #11

What part number would I be lookin for if I could not get a sweet deal like 20 bucks mine is 2002 zr2 ext cab auto #102 or #103 and thanks for the info
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Solid Axle MOD

Buy what ever kit is for a first gen excab, then buy 4 more blocks for the front bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.