S-10 Forum banner

Wheeler Bella

6K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  sync 
#1 ·
Hello, so I've been around on this site for a little while posting some stuff about my daily zr2(Penelope)
I recently came across this truck for sale and well I couldn't pass it up. Don't hate me for buying a built truck but for the amount of work this guy did to this thing and how much I paid for it, it was a no brainer. Changes to come of course to make it more my truck, but here are the details:

2001 GMC Sonoma SL
- 4.3l/4l60e/NP233
Front
- 1976 Ford Dana 44
- 4.88/arb locker
- reid knuckles
- chromos
- bobby longfield ujoints
- full truss, ballistic fab diff cover
Rear
1984 Ford 9"
- 4.86/arb locker
- back bone truss
- 31 spline chromos
- pinion guard
Suspension
- 6.5" xj coil spring lift
- S10 leaf springs with others/bastard pack?
- bilstein shocks
- 37/12.50/17 goodyear kevlars
- 17x9 black rock soft 8s
I missed some information but typing it all out will take a while. Axles are fully built and solid, on board air, body is a bit rough. Cavalier seats, no carpets or rear seats. Now onto the pictures....

Everybody, meet Bella.

Almost flexed out, still have a few inches to go on both corners

More pictures to come!

See less See more
#29 ·
I had fun, I did notice that the compressor would kick on and off a lot more often than it normally does. I Have not dug into this problem yet but so far what I have come up with is, possible water in the lines(which would freeze because of the temperature) restricting the air going to the lockers. I believe they need a constant 85psi to stay engaged. Or because of the excessive wheel speed it is hard for the little 350C compressor to keep up. There is no on board tank. I have narrowed it down to the rear locker though, I played with the switches while I was on that last trip and it would only kick on and off often when the rear locker was on. The front one is fine. It would usually only kick on and off every few minutes for a few seconds but now during winter and with lots of wheel speed it has gotten as bad as every 5-10 seconds it kicks on for a few seconds then kick off. It also only starts being that bad after a few hours on the trail, so maybe it takes that long for the water(condensation) to freeze and cause my problem?

Other than testing the lines for leaks and putting that alcohol in the lines to get rid of the water (same stuff truck drivers use for the trailer hook-ups) I am not sure how to go about this problem. A larger capacity compressor with a 100% duty cycle is expensive so I am trying to avoid that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#30 ·
Damn that looks like fun, Wish I had the time and a group to do some snow wheeling.

Honestly an Engine driven compressor is worth its weight, I love mine builds from 0 to 120psi in little of 2 minutes at idle, and will run my air tools no problem. I do have a tank though. Might be a good idea to add a tank to your setup, even a small 2 gallon tank would be beneficial.

#31 ·
I see where you're coming from. I am not sure if I was clear about my air compressor or not but it is not driven by the engine it is just mounted where the ABS use to be and wired to a switch inside the cab.
I will most likely look into this issue this weekend, I'm honestly just thinking its water in the lines and then freezing due to the weather. It worked fine when it was warmer outside. Anyways on top of that I noticed the rear leafs are kind wonky. Previous owner said they are just the stock s10 spring packs with another main leaf cut down. But there is also a 1" aal on the left side (assuming to make up for the gas tank being on that side) Funny this is that, that left side is also lower than the right side..... Have not done any research yet but I am considering just buying new s10 leaf spring packs(or junkyard ones) and using those. I don't plan on towing anything or hauling heavy loads so I think they would do the trick.

#32 ·
Sonoma was suggesting switching to a engine driven compressor lol

I assume this truck has some kind of taller shackle with the bastard pack rear leafs? Mine rubs a little on the back fenders when it's loaded and it has the ZR2 hangers- you might rub without the added leaf but I guess if it does you can add the leaf to the new pack.

I think a lot of people are using 56'' long full-size leafs on SAS s10s.

Mine is a little soft too, in tough spots I can get the leafs to shake/wrap I was thinking about the ruffstuff link kits but not sure if they would be unstable on the road. (especially on my truck that isn't running any sway bars.)

#34 ·
Oh my bad Sonomanclature, I must have read that wrong. Anyways I agree with you that engine driven compressors are the way to go, also I'm sure even just a small tank would help me with my problem. I did spend some time on this issue but that will be included in my next update in a week or two after I finish my schooling. I have just been swamped with school stuff for the last few weeks so that's my excuse for lack of posts :)

#37 ·
Thanks, I'm in the fraser valley, Vancouver/Chilliwack.

So I got these lights with the truck when I got it and I finally decided where to mount them and did so a few weeks ago. Didn't go super crazy but here is the finished product

Then this is what happens when two kids get together and play after doing maintenance

FLEX OFF!

Unfortunately the jeep won, his 3-link is pretty flexible

Random photo from when we had some crazy ice rain earlier this year

Getting them views

Almost a perfect picture, my stupid footprints ruin it. I am so mad at myself hahaha

The start to a crazy day, to bad I didn't get any photos other than this (for you local guys this was hamburger hill up at stave)

Slight delay, good thing two people brought chainsaws

Reactions: TokoDragon
#41 ·
Wow, its been a minute since I've been here......

SYNC wheels have 4.5" bs

Long story short, truck is still up and running and being wheeled. Of course not as much as I would like but that's life.
Just been keeping her up and running with general maintenance and a few things here and there. I've snapped an outer axle shaft on the front axle, tore the RH upper control arm bracket apart, and of course I added some character to the body.... I mean dents. But thats pretty much it.

No pictures because photobucket is lame but there are a couple short videos on youtube from some past trips or if you're on Instagram my name is "anthbarn" I've got some more recent pictures on there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.