S-10 Forum banner

2wd to SFA build

10K views 72 replies 13 participants last post by  ZachKnowsBest 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm a long time reader, but this is my first post. I've currently got a '96 short bed, std cab, 2.2L 5spd s10 that I like to repeatedly break and fix. Over the past year I've gotten tired of the clown car vibe it gives off and decided to lift it. Being in my final year at the university, I've developed a dream for the truck to become more of a crawler after I graduate but I'm building up to that in baby steps since I can't buy a second daily driver until then. To get a feel for how it'd look lifted, this past weekend I used a bolt on SOA kit I've had lying around for a while on the rear axle. While I'm not crazy about the tension the bolt on puts on the spring perches, it's made me realize that I definitely want to get at least 6" of lift out of my labor.

So, here's the plan:
Tomorrow, I'm making two of my craigslist purchases that I've set up. I've already looked at all the parts in person, but needed to wait 'til Friday for the money. I'm picking up a set of Dana 30/35's off of a 1998ish Cherokee. Along with the axles, I'm taking the Cherokee's pitman arm, draglink, knuckles, hubs, calipers, shocks, leafs, coils, and brake lines. All of this is going for the lovely price of $100. While I understand the D30/35 set-up isn't the strongest, the price is right and I can always swap the axles out once I graduate and have a rich man's budget. In addition to the Cherokee gear, I'm picking up a set of 5 Jeep 5 on 4.5" x 15" rims for 75$ since I'll be changing bolt patterns.

I leave for school in six weeks, so I'll be collecting as much parts as possible before then so I can work on the truck while I'm at school and not needing it as much. Since the rear is already temporarily lifted with the stock axle SOA, I'm going to start with the front axle to try and level my truck out a little better(My caster is very off with the rear being so much higher). My plan is to install the D30 on leafs without connecting it to the drive for a little while. I'm unsettled on which springs to use. Someones got CJ leafs (front and back packs) and shocks on craigslist for 50$. Any input would be appreciated. Does mixing around the CJ/XJ packs sound like a good plan? Or am I going to have a 9 inch thick spring stack just to keep the truck up in the air? Alternatively, would my stock springs be best in the front, with the XJ/CJ leafs in the rear? What seems best for flex?

Here's a break down of how I figure I'll babystep this overhaul:
1) Install SFA disconnected from trans.
2) Install 31" tires to my two jeep rims and two s10 rims so I can drive for a while(31's a little small for the lift, but it's what I already have lying around)
3) Swap rear axle
4) Find a trans/transfer case... engine? Doubler?
5) Re-gear axles or swap axles for D44 or 8.8? (The Dana's i have are 3.07 :eek: think go up to 4.10?) Side note: Does anyone see terrible issues with 3.07 and 31's? Right now my stock is 215/75/R15 on a 3.73... Am I ever going to see fifth gear between steps 2 and 5?:rant:
6) End goal: 35" tires, 8-12" of lift, Doubler.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I just wanted to finally get out there and get some input from members and be able to keep a log of my own progress throughout this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Skip the cj leafs , are you wanting to go soa or sua front , for your build at this point I would recomend wagoneer leaf stock replacments or 2-3" lift springs and I would go sua front to start so your no too tall and on a budget it will help you with steering

#3 ·
I was planning on SUA for the simplicity of just using stock XJ steering from hubs to steering box (if I comprehended my research correctly). If I clean up some pick-n-pull waggy springs, will I need to add any leafs to make them arch positively? I thought I saw a build thread near the top of the forum today (I forget his username, but it was a red s10 running D30 and zr2 rear and 33's) and his stock wag springs sat flat at no flex.

#5 ·
No need to add leafs to them , for 1 your trucks lighter and 2 they ride and flex great when there flat and it will still get you plenty if lift

#6 ·
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan so far. Like Rabbit said most of us run waggy springs up front and some variation of the stock chevy 52" rears... IMO Id be looking to swap a 4.3 or 5.7 into the truck sooner than later. I can't even imagine how underpowered a 2.2 would be with big tires... Even to turn a 31 id figure you'd need atleast 4.56 gears to drive comfortably.

#7 ·
Yeah, I'm probably going to gear the rear down to 4.10 when I install the rear. But there's plenty of guys in the 2wd forum running the stock axle 3.73 and 31's and 2.2. But the 3.07 Cherokee is going to be far too low for the set up. I'd probably only go for the 4.3l over the 350... if I'm going to cram that much engine in my tiny compartment it'll be a diesel. But I can deal with shifting later for the time being.

Is everyone using the front or the rear waggy springs?

#8 ·
front heavy duty 7 pack waggy springs.

a 2.2L with a 5-speed will probably do fine with the build you have in mind, but no idea if there is a way to attach a transfer case to an nv1500, might have to grab an NV3500 or go with some kind of divorced setup.

I used to own a truck just like that, 2.2L 5speed reg cab it was every bit as fast as the much heavier ZR2 I have now.

#9 ·
How do the waggy's compare to Dakota's springs? From the stats I've been looking at the Dakotas are longer but higher capacity. I'm just worried that the axle's going to slam into my oil pan/crossmember (if i don't take that out) with flat springs going SUA. I obviously trust everyone else's expertise over my newly gained knowledge... but having no experience is making me want to double and triple check everything in case I misunderstood something small some where along the road.

I was considering divorced, but with how short the wheel base is I'm going to shrink my driveshaft so quickly. I'm leaning towards a trans swap, and possibly a 4.3 swap at the same time. I've owned the same truck with the 4.3 and it's just a much more durable motor IMO. But I hear ya, the 2.2 isn't terrible... I actually kinda like it while everything is stock still, it feels like I'm taching pretty hard trying to maintain 75mph, though. It's really only around 3k rpm, but without cruise control, you can really feel like the truck would feel more comfortable around 60 to 65mph if I'm hauling any kind of weight in the bed.

#10 ·
i dont think dakotas would work period sua, i've never seen it done. people have done the waggy springs sua and it works just make sure to have good bump stops.

another option for trans/transfer case is a toyota trans and transfer case. i know advanced adapters make an adapter to put one behind and ecotec 2.2 i would bet they could make one to put behind an older 2.2

#11 ·
yeah dakota rear springs would have more of a negative arch (well under a 4.3L they would)

You said no v8 but the vortec 350 is basically the same size as the 4.3L and the procedure to swap into your truck would be almost identical and both should be easy to find in the junkyard.

If you find an easy way to get a transfer case into your truck and keep the 2.2L like an adaptor I would probably do that, but if it is going to involve expensive parts or a lot of extra work then I would just pay the price to swap to a larger engine/transmission.

Well I did a little research on 2.2L SFA s10s.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/958862-likely-stupid-idea-2-2l-s10-4x4.html

I didn't know the 2.2L shared the same trans bolt pattern as the 2.5L in the first gens. Seems like you could grab a manual transmission from a first gen 2.5L 4x4. (you may have to alter the location of the hole in the floor a little) Some 4x4 jeeps came with the same 2.5L as well.

#12 ·
Ok, so the springs are settled. I'm going to the junkyard in the morning for some waggy springs. I also need to get a drivers side axle shaft and hub since my bargain axle had the Ujoint bearings flopping all of the place and the hub had no studs in it... If I just remove the hub with the axle shaft still attached I wont have to go buy and press in studs or deal with getting an axle nut socket. Seems alot simpler in my mind anyway...

Aside from that, I've cleaned up the front end today. Removed alot of unnecessary junk from the old suspension, wire brushed the whole thing and shot it with some paint. Took off the cover and inspected the guts, everything looks and feels in order. Just gotta get that shaft in there. Hopefully I can get another coat of paint on it tomorrow and collect the remaining front end parts.

Well I did a little research on 2.2L SFA s10s.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...l-s10-4x4.html

I didn't know the 2.2L shared the same trans bolt pattern as the 2.5L in the first gens. Seems like you could grab a manual transmission from a first gen 2.5L 4x4. (you may have to alter the location of the hole in the floor a little) Some 4x4 jeeps came with the same 2.5L as well.
That's actually really funny, I was reading the same article when I got the notification of your reply. I had thought about the t5 before but not logistically or seriously until now, but I'm really leaning towards that setup for simplicity.

You said no v8 but the vortec 350 is basically the same size as the 4.3L and the procedure to swap into your truck would be almost identical and both should be easy to find in the junkyard.
That's fair enough. I guess I haven't looked at them side by side very much my last two trucks had the 4.3 and the 5.3. I had to replace that ridiculous spider injector on both. Perhaps the 5.3 just left a bad taste in my mouth when I sold the truck with all the crap that went on with the rust bucket. I would have to admit, a V8 in the tiny truck would be pretty sweet. If my 2.2 craps out or if drivetrain setup gets too complicated, I might just look in to it.

#14 ·
I have a 95 2.2 t5 with the removable bellhousing from my old s10 forsale. If your interested in going that route shoot me a PM. Sounds like your thinking along the same lines as I was before I built my first s10. Take a look at the beginning my my build page, the first truck started out as a 2wd

#16 ·
Don't the 2.8 and 2.5 both run the same 60deg bellhousing? I believe they do, and if the 2.2 also runs the 60deg then that would be your best option , I also know for a fact ( becuse I did it ) you can swap a sbc bellhousing on a s10 t5 and put a v8 in it / just don't punish the poor little t5 with gear banging or lots of power and it will hold up fine

#17 ·
Every 4cyl 2wd or 4x4 S10 Ive ever had came with 4.10s from the Factory!!! Ive heard of some with 4.56s... Might wanna Rethink 4.10s Unless your doin a V8!!!
http://www.rpocodes.com/GM-RPO-codes/gmrpocodesGthroughM.html
Check out my RPO's attached. GT4 and LM2 is a 3.73 with a 2.2L. Yeah, it's gonna be pretty underpowered. I'm still so in the air with my final plan for the drive train. So I'm not too worried. I've got plenty of time before I start messing with the rear.

In the past couple of weeks, my coolant has been spilling from my water pump and I didn't even realize how hot it was getting. I obviously shut the car off once I noticed it past the gauge marks, but about two days later I started noticing it misfires pretty bad under any load. It gets worse as the engine warms up. Brand new plugs, f pump and f filter so I'm going to check my coils and replace my wires but I'm really starting to fear I blew the H gasket or warped the head. That being said, if it turns out its not in my ignition system, y'all may see a V8 swap in this thing.

On another note, I got the rest of my steering parts minus the pitman arm. Gotta go back for that in the morning. It turns out the castle nut on that is like a 33mm? Much bigger than what I had brought with me.

In Fort Worth near me, there is this lovely part of town that has at least 8-10 junkyards all in a row on both sides of the street... not a single wagoneer in the whole city. I need new suggestions. I'm pretty bummed about that.

#20 ·
The injectors I just bought had been on there forever too!!! Heck the J10 D44 I bought to have thick tubes & 6lug outters for the D44HP had been settin there 20yrs lol Theres an ole boy on there that has a ton of Waggys for parts & been on CL since Ive been buildin My junk!!! It takes time to build one right & not cut corners because Life Happens!!! I bought My S10 for 500 & pulled all the 2wd crap out pretty quick but some parts take a lil while to find once youve got a Direction for the build!!! Plus I dont like payin full price lmao

#22 ·
Plus I dont like payin full price lmao
Amen to that! I'm getting close to all the parts for the front end. Just need to find the suspension. Hoping to hear back on the craigslist waggy. If not, maybe some junkyards more away from the city will have a wagoneer or two.

So I need to find a 4x4 T5 and an s10 2.5 bell housing to bolt right in to 2.2L? From that point, I can run maybe like a 231/231 or even a 207/207 if i start getting cheap.

That rig is pretty awesome. I like his axle over engine concept. Just wish I had the money to blow on some big old 1 tons like that. Perhaps one day. lol

#23 ·
Iam pretty sure the 2.5 and 2.8 have the same bellhousing the 2.5 is a lot harder to find

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.