super-long travel IFS - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

super-long travel IFS

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > 4wd IFS
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Project: Sabriel

User is: OffLine
super-long travel IFS

ok guys, dont flame, just read, then tell me what you think. ive been looking at a lot of mud competetion trucks, and it seems the ones with IFS do better than the SFA trucks. this is due, i guess, to the more streamlined profile of the IFS and its skidplates. but, i still want a lot of lift, and i hate how a lifted IFS is still pretty close to the ground, due to its design. is there a good way to adapt a prerunner-style long-flex IFS system, like on the trucks that run in desert rally races, to an S-10 frame? i dont want anything too radical, just about 12" or so of flex from the front end. so now feel free to flame me at will, as i know some will. but ive been comtemplating this for a bit, and i think this is the way i want to go. it wont be a serious competetion truck, cuz its gotta be a daily driver (albeit with a ZZ383 under the hood).
Old 10-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Off Roadin' Member

IFS sucks!! just jokin, that is a good idea if its just for mud, even though i still prefer SFA ...but definately coilovers....costs about $1200-$1500 for the full size chevies...i dont know about S10's.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
got SFA?

got $$$$$$
Old 10-30-2003, 11:15 PM   #4
Always Dreamin Big

I want to know, where on earth are you finding mud competition trucks with IFS, let alone ones that are winning agains the solid axle variety. Every bog I have been to the pro class is FULL of solid axle trucks, IFS is only found in the stock or close to stock classes. I have IFS, I hate it. I do have a touch more ground clearance than a simular setup solid axle truck, but that is all worthless as soon as the suspension compresses some. And I am all the time left with a tire hangin in the air when flexing over rocks/logs/holes etc. The welded rear is the only thing that pulls me through. In mud when I hit a hole the suspension compresses and I end up with less clearance than a solid axle truck, which means when I need the foward momentum the most is when I am digging the front end into the mud the hardest. It blows (but I have no time to pull a solid axle swap till spring).

As for long travel, I have yet to see anything for a 4x4 S-10. You'd really have to go custom fabrication on this one. And 12 inches of travel with functional 4 wheel drive isn't as easy as one might think. That's a big range of motion on the half shafts. To cure this you goto a wider stance so you have longer control arms and half shafts. Again, custom fab, big bucks.

I would estimate that it would run you an EASY $3000 to get 12 inches of travel and still have 4 wheel. I'd definitly look into a solid front axle. If you REALLY want ground clearance, go with portal axles :thumbup:

Last edited by adam728; 10-30-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:18 AM   #5

yeah, portals would be great, or unimog axles. it was just a stray thought i had, ive seen some decent IFS vehicles beat SFA vehicles in courses.....now, they werent deep, mind you, but they were mud. i absolutely despise Chevy IFS...i was toying with the idea of converting a H1 IRS and IFS suspension setup onto an S-10, but decided id rather spend the money on D60s, a ZZ383, and overall truck money, instead of a "cool" setup that i would have no idea how to work on. thanks for answering my ?'s without ragging on me for the idea.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:09 AM   #6
a2b

Quote:
Originally posted by MuddyS10
thanks for answering my ?'s without ragging on me for the idea.
ya that was a dumb idea
Old 10-31-2003, 11:15 AM   #7

should have expected it lol
Old 11-01-2003, 01:37 AM   #8

In real life independent suspension's is much better then straight axle's.
But what you want would have to be fab'd yourself because As far as I know, There isn't any companys making aftermarket Independent Suspension's.

The reason Independent Suspensions are better is they have a much better ride, longer travel, and they keep a bigger contact patch on the ground.

On a straight axle when one wheel is lifted the other wheel is riding on the side of the tire, meaning not much of a contact patch.

From what I have seen in Long travel Suspension's Usally the control arms reach acrossed the truck or at least to the middle of the truck and they have a pretty wide stance.

Fox shoc's, have some pretty awesome nitrogen filled long travel shock w/res.. those can really smooth out the roughist bumps and jumps. and they also have a tech department to help you figure out what you need. But be prepared to spend big money for them.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:36 AM   #9

the only problem i have with it is getting a damn locker for the front, that isnt a full time locker, like maybe adapting an ARB to fit the front. but ive yet to see and IFS (except the G-Wagen, a supreme bit of German engineering, that) with a locker.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:22 AM   #10

Make one out of a straight axle!
There would be some more fab work for you.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:32 AM   #11
Always Dreamin Big

Rockstomper.com sells Ford 9 inch centersections designed to fit Toyota hilux IFS trucks. Anything is possible.

Longer travel depends on the setup. Getting 10-12 inches of travel from a solid axle up front is pretty easy. Doing in on an IFS is a lot more difficult due to the halfshaft angles.

My thought's
Right now solid axles are the way to go. MANY advantages over independant. But I feel in the years ahead with improved materials and designs independant suspension will begin to take over. The loss of ground clearance when compressed and the restrictive half shaft angle of operation is what needs to be overcome.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:41 AM   #12

this is going to be a carzy idea, but hell, im crazy. have any of you seen the screwdrivers with the extensions that bend? in a coimplete circle, and still allow torque to be applied to the bit? i think black and decker makes it. is there any way to convert that idea to a driveshaft? the ebst way i can think to describe it is a whip - made of a LOT of small links. i know thats a lot of u-joints ot break, but IN THEORY, wouldnt that allow for massive travel IFS cuz you wouldnt have to worry about halfshaft angles, since the "shaft" could flex and bend however it needed? i know it would have to be refectly centrifugally (spl) balanced, and unusable at high speeds, but what about a rockcrawling system using that, in an IFS/IRS format?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
WILD COUNTRY TIRES SUCK!

i think thats too many possible break points. the joints would have to be very very strong! the idea sounds okay, i just dont know if its possible to make it strong enough or stable
Old 11-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
Always Dreamin Big

Strength is a big issue there. But even bigger is what happens when that thing gets twisted outta wack at high rpms. It'll tear itself and everything around it to shreds. You can't balance it because it changes in shape throughout the travel.

Students and researchers at the college I goto here were working on a flexible driveshaft last year. I know they destroyed a bunch on a Grand Cherokee and have them on display in a showcase. I don't know if they ever got it right or are still working on it or just gave up.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:47 PM   #15
Always Dreamin Big

Oh yea, and the same thing you are talking about is used in some 2wd bicycles, hand driven bicycles, and recumbants. It works good because loads are small and so are the rotational speeds. Even for that though the shaft is about an inch and a quarter in diameter.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #16

Lightbulb Re: super-long travel IFS

Have you looked at buying a HMWVV... (hummer h-1)... tHEY Have about the most clearance Ive seen outta IFS. We gave 'em hell in afghanistan and they suprised me. They're dermo'ing all the older ones. They send them to albany GA. The last time I checked you could get one for about 2-3,000. 2 pumps inn they ghan' and we didnt have to mess with the IFS. You'd haved to do some fabbing, but Thatd probably be your best bet I think. Ive been toying with the idea myself, because what gets all these SFA boy stuck is their chunk..... so, I guess its all in your preference.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #17

Re: super-long travel IFS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.