Step-by-Step body lift installation... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Step-by-Step body lift installation...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > 2wd
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
I like boobies

User is: OffLine
Step-by-Step body lift installation...

Can someone hook me up with Idiot's Guide for putting on a body lift?

Went to pick up my winch plate for my ZR2 and got a price estimate on a body lift installation at my local truck modding place...$900 just for the installation. Yeah, screw that. I'm planning a 3" lift on my 2wd sonoma, and a 2" on my ZR2. I checked Performance Accessories's website, but my computer really does not like PDF files...at all.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #2

Re: Step-by-Step body lift installation...

Would love to help you, but I need the same question answered too. Hope someone helps out. Where did you buy your body lift? How much?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #3

I got my BL from summitracing.com, it was $80. Putting on a BL is really easy, I got mine done in about 4 hours and I did the whole lift by myself. When you do your BL make sure to spray all the body mount bolts with PB Blast atleast a week before you do the lift. It will make it a lot easier to remove the bolts when you do the lift. But the body lift itself if easy, you will need to loosen one side, then take out the other side. start by removing the front bumper so you will be able to get to the front body mounts,and as you remove the front bumper, you will want to either remove the bottom shroud around the engine fan or put in the spacers to lower it, if your kit comes with those spacers. Mine didn't but I know the performance accessories kit does. Also, you will need to loosen the fuel neck that goes from the gas tank to the side of the truck and the ground straps. Start removing the mounts from the front to the rear, (some do the rear first) To lift the body up to remove the body mounts and to put the new lift mounts in, use a jack and a 2x4 piece of wood. Go slow and make sure no wires are getting caught or broke. After you get the mounts on both sides, put the front bumper back on, if your kit has the spacers to lift the bumper, put those on as your putting the bumper on. Then for the gas tank, you will need to cut the hose in half and install the extension piece (if its rubber, which 95 and newer are) or like mine is all metal so I just left it how it is and did cut it to try and get the extension it. Yes, the filler neck is lower but I still can fit the gas nosal in to it when I get gas, so its alright. The kits don't come with anything to lift the rear bumper so you will either have to make your one or life with it and if you don't like the gap you can put in a piece of sheet metal to cover the gap. Oh and as for the transmition goes, if you have an auto you will need to weld in a extension piece to where the the lever goes to the transmition, or the steering collum will be locked. For manual transmitions there is an extension that you have to install on the transmition to the shifter. As for the steering, look at the shaft that goes from the steering collum to the steering box, if it is a two piece shaft(meaning there are to shafts that conect together) you don't need to install the extension piece, for the ones that have the single piece shaft you will need to install the extension.

That is how its done, like I said its easyer then you think. Read over instructions before you do the lift, I hope this helped.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by AlabamaNoma
Can someone hook me up with Idiot's Guide for putting on a body lift?

Went to pick up my winch plate for my ZR2 and got a price estimate on a body lift installation at my local truck modding place...$900 just for the installation. Yeah, screw that. I'm planning a 3" lift on my 2wd sonoma, and a 2" on my ZR2. I checked Performance Accessories's website, but my computer really does not like PDF files...at all.
WHAT 900 bucks??

GO to performance accessories web site and download the instruction. Read them several times a day for a few days before you plan on doing it. It is not hard to do. But plan about 10 hours. Maybe longer if using all hand tools.
900 bucks id install your body lift and suspension.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
I like boobies

Sounds pretty straight forward and easy, just time consuming.
Except for the transmission part. By Sonoma is a 5 speed, and the new motor will also be 5 speed. I love that manual tranny.

However, my ZR2 will be the first to receive a body lift, and it is an automatic tranny. You have any more detail on extending that shifter link thingy?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

Sounds pretty straight forward and easy, just time consuming.
Except for the transmission part. By Sonoma is a 5 speed, and the new motor will also be 5 speed. I love that manual tranny.

However, my ZR2 will be the first to receive a body lift, and it is an automatic tranny. You have any more detail on extending that shifter link thingy?
You will not have to extend anything. The shifter on your truckis a cable and plenty long enough. Do a 3 inch and still be ok. NO WIRING WILL NEED EXTENDED!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
I like boobies

Quote: Originally Posted by 992drjimmy
You will not have to extend anything. The shifter on your truckis a cable and plenty long enough. Do a 3 inch and still be ok. NO WIRING WILL NEED EXTENDED!!!
Excellent. I'll be getting that as soon as I get paid again. Just ordered a winch for ZR2 after FINALLY finding a winch plate that fits. Apparently my brushguard is a discontinued model. I feel special.

Also found a motor AND manual tranny for my Sonoma, only an hour from me. Someone parting out a wrecked GMC Sierra work truck model with 4.3 Vortec and 5 speed tranny.
Man, I freaking LOVE Craiglist.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #8

Hey, I found this kit. Is this legit?

1998-2004 S10/S15,Sonoma,ZR2,Std,Ext & Crew Cab,2WD,4WD- 3" Body Lift Details Performance Accessories

SKU

Price:$228.00
Options Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
Performance Accessories has more than 20 years experience in the off-road industry. Specializing in body lifts to fit most trucks & SUV's. Body lifts are designed to lift a vehicle by placing 2" or 3" blocks between the body & frame. Performance accessories lift block's are constructed of a high grade reinforced nylon block, and the hardware is all grade 5 zinc plated for maximum strength and corrosion protection. Body lift kits are complete with all the nessesary hardware and brackets. Performance Accessories has the most complete body lift kits, with the best quality and service available.
High grade nylon body lift blocks
Plated brackets resist corrosion and rust
Includes all hardware for bolt-on installation
Available for most 2wd & 4wd Trucks & SUV's
Replacement shocks are not required with body lifts

Note:
1. Some suspension lift kit manufactures do not recommend the addition of any body lift kit. If you have or are planning to install a suspension lift and a body lift kit please refer to the suspension lift kit manufacture or contact us for more information.
2. Note: Image shown is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.

BODY LIFT KIT TECH NOTES:
6. Front and rear bumper brackets are included in this kit.
16. Vehicles equipped with Vortec V-6 may require modification of the air intake or air intake
21. Rear bumper brackets are to enhance appearance only, bumper cannot be used for towing
23. 1995-99 ZR2 will require modification to steering column mounting flange.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #9

I think there is a typo. Alot of people have searched hi and lo for a 3 inch second gen. Still would be cheaper to get a first gen kit. I got lucky i got less than 50 in mine.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
I like boobies

I think there is a typo. Alot of people have searched hi and lo for a 3 inch second gen. Still would be cheaper to get a first gen kit. I got lucky i got less than 50 in mine.
Yeah. I heard you can modify a 1st gen 3 inch to work, just gotta find a place that sells the pucks alone, cause you'll need extras.

$50? Dang. I heard something on here before about drilling out hockey pucks for for body lift spacers, but I'd trust that about as much as I'd trust loaning my truck to a crack dealer for a day.

Oh yeah, my ZR2's shifter isn't on the column, it's in the console. Does that make a difference?
(Can you tell I've never messed witha body lift before?)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #11

Its still cable shifted and you will be ok with it. You only need the extra blocks for the bumper. What i would do is get some squared steel and cut to 3 inch lengths. Get extra bolts like the ones that come with the kit. You'll be good to go. I got lucky when i bought my body lift about 3 years ago.Found it for 15 bucks. Didnt have a use for it then, justfigured for the price, some day id use it. Go the box of used 3 inch blocks for 15 bucks too. Think there was something like 15 of them or so. Had to buy some extra grade 8 bolts to finish it up.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
I like boobies

Its still cable shifted and you will be ok with it. You only need the extra blocks for the bumper. What i would do is get some squared steel and cut to 3 inch lengths. Get extra bolts like the ones that come with the kit. You'll be good to go. I got lucky when i bought my body lift about 3 years ago.Found it for 15 bucks. Didnt have a use for it then, justfigured for the price, some day id use it. Go the box of used 3 inch blocks for 15 bucks too. Think there was something like 15 of them or so. Had to buy some extra grade 8 bolts to finish it up.
I'm just gonna run a 2" body lift on my ZR2. Already got my t-bars turned for 1 3/4" front end lift, and my 2" rear shackles are on the way.
Along with the body lift and the backspacing of my new rims I'm gonna buy, that'll clear 33s according to Jigg's ride from Synergy Offroad.
The PA body lift says it already comes with bumper brackets fro the front AND rear, so I should be good.
Would a 97 Jimmy 2wd need shifter modification, or is it good? My buddy has one with console shifter we're getting ready to lift.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #13

No shift mod needed, Im going to do a 3 inch body on my 97 jimmy 4x4 before winter to run some 31x10.50's
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #14

Just dropped truck off at mechanics house. He is replacing the intake gasket, water pump, thermastat, valvecover gaskets, o-rings, flushing radiator, changing oil all for $100. I love my mechanic!!!!!!
Of course, I bought all the parts.....but still.....I love that guy!!!!
Please, no gay comments......you would feel the same way for your mechanic!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
I like boobies

There was only one mechanic I felt that way about.
When I was first cutting teeth on a steering wheel, I had a problem with my clutch.
It was hydraulic. And there was a leak. He added some DOT3 brake fluid in it, GAVE me the bottle without charge, did not charge me for the diagnosis, and told me the part I needed to get it fixed. I bought the part, took it to him, and charged me $10 to replace it and bleed the entire system. It was the master cylinder.

He was a great guy. We lost him last year to cancer.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by Motosport_21
Just dropped truck off at mechanics house. He is replacing the intake gasket, water pump, thermastat, valvecover gaskets, o-rings, flushing radiator, changing oil all for $100. I love my mechanic!!!!!!
Of course, I bought all the parts.....but still.....I love that guy!!!!
Please, no gay comments......you would feel the same way for your mechanic!!!

I could do all that stuff myself. Butfor $100 Id surely be glad to let some one else do it..
Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
I like boobies

Okay...getting ready to order the body lift.
Just gettin' 2 inches for it.

Before I order it, I need to know something.

I have a Warn brushguard that has my winch mounted to it.

Will the body lift cause it not to line up properly on the grille?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #18

Okay...getting ready to order the body lift.
Just gettin' 2 inches for it.

Before I order it, I need to know something.

I have a Warn brushguard that has my winch mounted to it.

Will the body lift cause it not to line up properly on the grille?
Well you will be moving the body up.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
I like boobies

What do I need to do to have the burshguard line up properly?

It was on there when I bought the truck.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #20

What do I need to do to have the burshguard line up properly?

It was on there when I bought the truck.
Does it contour the bumper? Will it be a problem with the body and bumper higher? A pic of the fron of the truck may help us figure out what you would need to do. Probably will need to fab brackets to raise the guard.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #21
I like boobies

Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #22
I like boobies

The bottom supports mount to the frame horns.

I've been thinking about saving up and getting the Superlift suspension lift.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #23

You will either have to leave your bumper at stock height or fabricate some brackets to raise the winch bar.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
I like boobies

My concern is the headlamp guards not being level with the headlamps.

From what I saw after spelunking below the truck (I need to clean some mud out from under it), in order for brackets to work, I wo9uld have to cut out a slot in the frame horn for the bracket to have clearance to come up.

I'm wanting 32x11.50 on there. I've already cranked 1¾" out of the T-bars for the front, and I'm procrastinating putting on my 2" shackles.
According to a guy on ZR2USA, as long as I have factory backspaced rims like the PA3s that are already on it, I can clear 32x11.50 without much issue FACTORY.
So this mild lift should work fine...maybe a lil bit of trim on the inner fender wells. I'd like extra lift for looks mostly because the ZR2 is mostly a mild trail truck...because it's also my daily driver.
A 5" suspension lift on it will be in the distant future.

The SASnoma project is gonna be the mean mudder.
On that note, I had a set of Dana 44s with 4.11 I picked up for $150, but sold to a buddy who atned them for his Jeep. He paid me $400 for em after I cleaned em up. I thought I could find some more and have a little extra cash off the deal. Now I can't find any within 50 miles of here for less than $500!
Looks like Dana 30s with 35s is gonna be the plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.