End-all answer to S10 axle widths? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

End-all answer to S10 axle widths?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Liftin' It > 2wd
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Iron LS2 coming tomorrow.

User is: OffLine
End-all answer to S10 axle widths?

I've searched many forums over the past couple hours and have found nothing definitive. I'm trying to find accurate measurements of S10 axles, not "I think it's about xx inches wide". I need to know 2WD, 4WD and ZR2 widths from WMS to WMS. A guy has an 8.5 (or 8.625) with G80 from his ZR2 for sale for $150. I figured it's a decent deal if I could use it on my 2WD. I planned on using a 4WD rear for more track width, and using spacer adapters in the front to widen it the same amount over stock. I need to know the definite widths of these axles so I can determine if the ZR2 axle would be excessive, and if I should stick to the regular 4x4 axle.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Forum Dictator

Re: End-all answer to S10 axle widths?

I forgot stock EXACT measurement but I know where to find it,

But basically.

4wd, 2" wider per side than 2wd
ZR2 4wd, 4" wider per side than 2wd.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Forum Dictator

Here you go.

2wd 54.5"
4wd 59"
ZR2 63"
Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by What?
Here you go.

2wd 54.5"
4wd 59"
ZR2 63"

THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
**** New Jersey

yea, i knew the 4x4 and the zr2 rears. didnt know the 2wd.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

The wheels I'm using are 17x8 with 0 offset (4" BS). I'm thinking that I'll like the width of these wheels on a ZR2 axle, but the front will require an LT kit and a spacer. I need to see a pic of low-offset wheels on a ZR2, and I figure there's more of a chance of finding a ZR2 with ZQ8 wheels for reference. So, would anyone know where I could find a pic of ZQ8 or Xtreme wheels on a ZR2? Or maybe a forum with someone on there that has such a setup and I could hound them for pics? What would be the widest spacer one would consider "safe"?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Forum Dictator

NP, send the 750mL whiskey to me lol.

You can buy LT from any fabbers on dezertdimes.com, getting it 3.5"-6.5" are doable with coil-coilovers and with that rim and backspacing, you may not need spacer.

Once you get LT taken care of then you'll be able check if you'll need spacer or not.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Forum Dictator

3.5" - 6.5" wider per side*
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #9

NP, send the 750mL whiskey to me lol.

You can buy LT from any fabbers on dezertdimes.com, getting it 3.5"-6.5" are doable with coil-coilovers and with that rim and backspacing, you may not need spacer.

Once you get LT taken care of then you'll be able check if you'll need spacer or not.
I want to keep everything in factory proportions, just wider. So, if I use that ZR2 axle, my rear wheels will stick out 4.25" further than where they're at now. I'll need 3.25" longer arms if I use AIM spindles and 2.25" if I use Fabtech spindles. I don't think I'd mind a 2.25" spacer, so I could save the money I'd spend on an LT kit and put it towards the more expensive Fabtech spindles. I just don't think I'd wanna use a 3.25" spacer, that just kinda scares me.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #10

dumb question.....
but can you do that to widen your stance up front? Just make like 2 inch wider arms?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Zr2.2

Quote: Originally Posted by tommyramone55
dumb question.....
but can you do that to widen your stance up front? Just make like 2 inch wider arms?
Yeah that's all the long travel suspensions do, longer control arms equal longer range of travel. Your lookin at big bucks though just for a wider stance.

Cheap and easy is a set of wheel adapter/spacers. Not the best solution if your hard on it, but it's the cheapest and easiest way to widen the stance.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by s10xtremist
I want to keep everything in factory proportions, just wider. So, if I use that ZR2 axle, my rear wheels will stick out 4.25" further than where they're at now. I'll need 3.25" longer arms if I use AIM spindles and 2.25" if I use Fabtech spindles. I don't think I'd mind a 2.25" spacer, so I could save the money I'd spend on an LT kit and put it towards the more expensive Fabtech spindles. I just don't think I'd wanna use a 3.25" spacer, that just kinda scares me.
Well, I ended up with a set of Fabtech spindles because I got a package deal on them. And, I have the ZR2 axle. AND, the wheels I'm using are 8" wide with 0 offset (4" backspace). So, my rear wheels will be moved outward a grand total of 4.58" per side from where they're at now (I have stock Xtreme wheels on it now). So, accounting for the 1.5" the spindle will give me and the .33" the wheels will give me, I'll need 2.75" more width in the front to keep my factory proportions. If the AIM LT kit is 2.5" per side, then I think that'll be close enough. If I find that I'm missing that .25", I'll get longer studs and a .25" spacer.

Quote: Originally Posted by BillsDuster
Yeah that's all the long travel suspensions do, longer control arms equal longer range of travel. Your lookin at big bucks though just for a wider stance.

Cheap and easy is a set of wheel adapter/spacers. Not the best solution if your hard on it, but it's the cheapest and easiest way to widen the stance.
What do you mean by "hard on it"? Would you say that I should be fine with ~2" spacers on stock CAs if my truck is on paved highway 98% of it's life? BTW, my tires are 255-75-R17, so a tick under 32".
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Zr2.2

I'm thinkin hard on it as in offroading hard. The spacers would put added stress on the wheel bearings because of the tire being further out and adding leverage. As for road driving it, I'd see no problems, at least no problems for quite some time(still could wear on the bearing in time).

The lowered guys use spacers all the time to fit vette or front wheel drive wheels, and I havent read much dislikes from them. I'd just get some new wheel bearings just for the heck of it, they are cheap enough. I know 992drjimmy ran 2" spacers in the front with no issues while he had his lifted truck, a couple other guys have also. I'm going to get some spacers when I get my tax returns back, most likely just 1.5" just to even the rear up more with the front. I'm gonna put them in the front and see how it looks for sure.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #14

well bill, you wanna get me a set too haha
Old 02-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Zr2.2

Quote: Originally Posted by tommyramone55
well bill, you wanna get me a set too haha
Yeah no problem bro, you want to pay double? lol
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #16

I'm thinkin hard on it as in offroading hard. The spacers would put added stress on the wheel bearings because of the tire being further out and adding leverage. As for road driving it, I'd see no problems, at least no problems for quite some time(still could wear on the bearing in time).

The lowered guys use spacers all the time to fit vette or front wheel drive wheels, and I havent read much dislikes from them. I'd just get some new wheel bearings just for the heck of it, they are cheap enough. I know 992drjimmy ran 2" spacers in the front with no issues while he had his lifted truck, a couple other guys have also. I'm going to get some spacers when I get my tax returns back, most likely just 1.5" just to even the rear up more with the front. I'm gonna put them in the front and see how it looks for sure.

Well, I feel better about the spacers. Maybe I'll try 'em out for a while until I can save the cash for the LT kit. I just got new bearings and races when I did my front brakes about two months ago, so I should be okay. I'm also gonna get a full set of Power Performance BJs. I guess I should order them now so I'll have a better chance of getting them by summer!

BTW, Fabtech's instructions for the spindles says:

WHEEL SPACERS MUST NOT BE INSTALLED WITH THESE 3" LIFT SPINDLES!

Is that to prevent excessive wear to the bearings and/or BJs, or is it because the spindles could break (spindle separate from the knuckle, etc)?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #17

all three.... I have std S10 2wd can i put a 4x4 rear end in my truck without modification? wut years had the widest?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by DarkKnite2009
all three.... I have std S10 2wd can i put a 4x4 rear end in my truck without modification? wut years had the widest?
The year of truck really had nothing to do with the width of the rear end, except for the years that ZR2s were made. And, yes, a 4x4 rear end will be a direct swap for your truck. What? listed the different widths in the third post of this thread.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Zr2.2

WHEEL SPACERS MUST NOT BE INSTALLED WITH THESE 3" LIFT SPINDLES!

Is that to prevent excessive wear to the bearings and/or BJs, or is it because the spindles could break (spindle separate from the knuckle, etc)?
Covering their backsides. They also say don't use wheels with different offsets. Basicly you can't sue if you break your truck or kill yourself using the part "improperly". If guys can jump trucks with these spindles, I don't see how putting a spacer on it and driving around town is going to hurt anything. Heck I have watch stock trucks launch 4-5 feet off the ground at the sand dunes over and over with no parts breakage. The spindles are way heavier built then stock for sure.

Check these..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5x4-7...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #20

Covering their backsides. They also say don't use wheels with different offsets. Basicly you can't sue if you break your truck or kill yourself using the part "improperly". If guys can jump trucks with these spindles, I don't see how putting a spacer on it and driving around town is going to hurt anything. Heck I have watch stock trucks launch 4-5 feet off the ground at the sand dunes over and over with no parts breakage. The spindles are way heavier built then stock for sure.
I figured as much, but wanted to hear someone's experienced input.

I was wondering if anyone made hub-centric spacers. Thanks for the link. I can slip a $70 purchase by the wife much easier than an $800 one!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #21

sweet thanks. i didnt cath that post before
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #22

Curiosity kept gnawing at me, so I called AIM. The sales rep told me that their LT kit was 3" per side. Everything I've been reading said it was 2.5" per side. So, are the arms actually 3" longer than the stock arms, but accounting for the arch they swing in and with the truck on the ground, you would net +2.5" per side? I'm not really that concerned about a half inch, I'm just curious about some details of what I've been reading.

BTW, if anyone's interested to know, AIM's LT kit on their website comes with a 3" coil and it's $895. It's $825 if you want the kit, but not their coils.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #23

Ya i am getting metul munky's zr2 axle for my BB possibly next week, because to the addition to my front suspension it is now 4.5" wider on each side so the Z rear end will compliment it truely
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #24

The year of truck really had nothing to do with the width of the rear end, except for the years that ZR2s were made. And, yes, a 4x4 rear end will be a direct swap for your truck. What? listed the different widths in the third post of this thread.
I hate to bring up an old thread but I want to nail this down because I have read that the 1990 and earlier differ from the 1991 and later S10 rear axles in width (as well as 4X4 and 2X2) giving 4 different widths...

If xtremist's post (and post 3) is correct, then there are NOT 4 widths, but just the three mentioned. .... Right?

(FWIW I am using a 1992 2X2 axle in my rod and it is indeed 54.5 WMS - WMS)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #25

Cool Re: End-all answer to S10 axle widths?

Anyone have a "left over" narrow 54.5" WMF to WMF axle assembly, complete with 3.42 gears for sale? Drum or disc, open or Posi? Do you think the axle and drum/dick could be redrilled for 5 on 100mm wheel bolt pattern? this will be going on a 1969 Opel GT if the dimensions work out.
Preferably in the pacific NW, ie TriCities area of Washington state.

Dennis in West Richland, WA
Old 10-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #26

Here you go.

2wd 54.5"
4wd 59"
ZR2 63
"
I can confirm this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.