S-10 Forum banner

xtremegeek LY6 LSA Build

34K views 239 replies 41 participants last post by  xtremegeek 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

Been a while since I come on here been busy with work and life in general, so my truck sat for 2 years in a storage unit where I thought I was guna build it.... Took it apart but had a lot of stuff going on with buying and fixing a house.. baby on the way.... my business.... so nothing got done. :frown2:

Now I am a bit more stable and have a friend who wasn't afraid to help tow the truck back home with no front suspension :surprise:

Got it home

How the truck was at its prime with the 4.3 and Jammer.

I couldn't decide where to post this thread as I am guna re do almost everything on it but motor to me was the biggest project of them all so here it is.

Motor: 78k 2008 LY6 6.0

Comes with L92 aluminum heads
BTR LS Cam Kit Stage 3 with VVT Delete
LSA Blower 2.95 upper 9.1 lower
Headers/Full Mandrel Bent Exhaust/Magnaflow 2 in 2 out
Dyno Tune from on of the better LS tuners around

Tranny: 4l65E (built to handle 600-700whp)

2500-3000 Converter
Vette Servo
Working out the rest

Suspension: front

QA1 Coil Overs
Speedway Upper Control Arms
UMI Lower Control Arms
Poly Bushings and Zq8 Sway Bar

rear: Coil Overs Later for now

zq8 leafs
zq8 Sway Bar Poly Bushings
3" block
Belltech Street Shocks
7.5 blazer rear end posi 3.42

Steering:

Spohn center link and inner/outer Tie Rods

Brakes:

Belletch Blazer 2" Spindle and Hub
C6 z06 Conversion with kore3 brackets
Hydrobooster
Wilwood Master Cylinder/Prop. valve
Braided Lines

See less See more
#2 ·
Was guna be a while before the motor would arrive so got to work on the other stuff. So my truck was home finally but needed a lot of TLC... Wish I had a garage with a lift but oh well... Got under her and cleaned up and painted the frame up. Got roughed up and 4 stitches but worth it

Went to work on the rear of the truck

Wanted to repaint the axle, and shocks and well.... pretty much everything down there. So here goes :nerd:

C-Clips Out

Inner Axle Rods

Ready with new caliper brackets on facing in :smile2:

Test Fit (had to shim a bit)

All Back in

#132 ·
Was guna be a while before the motor would arrive so got to work on the other stuff. So my truck was home finally but needed a lot of TLC... Wish I had a garage with a lift but oh well... Got under her and cleaned up and painted the frame up. Got roughed up and 4 stitches but worth it

Went to work on the rear of the truck

Wanted to repaint the axle, and shocks and well.... pretty much everything down there. So here goes :nerd:

C-Clips Out

Inner Axle Rods

Ready with new caliper brackets on facing in :smile2:

Test Fit (had to shim a bit)

All Back in

I have a couple of questions. What are the details on the rear you are using? Where did you get the adapters for the brakes, and all part number to do the brake conversion? I am in the process of buying a 2003 Xtreme, and I love your build, but I can't afford that much engine, but maybe I can have some serious brakes to keep me out of trouble. :wink:

#3 ·

Then did some work on the bed with fresh paint, fixed my fuel pump lid, put in my new 340lph pump in, and battery tray put in.

My bed cover was pretty nasty as well so took it off a clean, paint, and new 4mm cushion all around... the old stuff was messin up the paint :crying:

After this focused in on the Front of the truck:

Checking out the setup and the thrust bearing position

Started putting it together

#13 ·
I guess since your down in FL, you can just keep on building. Hell, your tracks don't even close down there, do they? If they do, it's only because you guys "Think it's cold" LOL. Not because it actually is.

#16 ·
Haha! Yea; its pretty warm year round here, I'm in Miami and rarely do we ever see below 60* :surprise: lol

Thanks guys!! Glad your digging the progress :wink:

Had some time this past weekend and cleaned up the bay, got rid of the AC monster... plan on filling in the holes with sheet metal and painting later. Cleaned up the frame and got rid of some wires and painted the fenders while I was at it :smile2:

Also these things came in :grin:

Blower Lid

LSA Fuel Rails

Blower w/TB and Injectors

This weekend doing the valves, cam, VVT delete, and hopefully blower.... maybe will be able to clean and paint it all as well. :laugh:

#15 ·
this is awesome! can't wait to see it come together. Probably going to be copying your control arm/coilover setup as well as the spindle/brakes setup in the near future haha

#21 ·
Thanks man!

I wanted to use solid mounts so the longtubes went out the door and wound up getting mids 1" 5/8 primary.... should flow better than stock manifolds and like you mentioned minor stuff anyways.. Less headache at this point is always welcome.

Some progress this weekend started to take the motor apart and internally looks great, looks like it was well taken care of. Big bummer however the spring compressor tool I picked up didn't fit right so now they are sending me the right one.... So couldn't make it happen :frown2:

Here are some pics or the motor:

Very healthy looking

Off goes the damper

Since we couldn't do more stuff for now, ended up cleaning up and painting the block up:

Will hopefully get the springs/rods/cam/vvt delete/blower on this week when I get a chance. Then have the acc. drive to put in and the crank needs a keyway still.... arg lol

#20 ·
I wouldn't use anything but Stainless Works longtubes on that, and as said, you must use CPW mounts for them to fit correctly, and use tubular upper control arms. Really, in a build like this, thats just minor anyway.

Love the blower. I kinda wish I had kept mine, just because it is a little easier, but since I daily mine, I couldn't justify a blower vs turbo.

#24 ·
Thanks guys! Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season so far :smile2:

I don't have pictures but almost everything has arrived for the motor to go in minus the new transmission getting built... will likely take a few weeks before we get it in. Tony from Animal Performance Transmissions was very nice and hooked it up for the holidays.

Did the BTR dual springs the other day with new seats, seals, tip, and retainers. :nerd:

Keyway pin came in for the crank from ATI and the new damper and pulley.... next will be cam with the VVT delete, oil pan. I hope to have this all in the truck within the next month or so.*fingers crossed*

#28 ·
Yea; it does look like it in the last picture your right, especially the closest one.... but look above they have a lip on the lower end that wrap over the springs. Would be a mess if they wren't when we start this thing up :surprise:

p.s I'm guna take a look at it tonight when I get out, it actually looks like it might have chipped or something

#32 ·
Gotcha it just looked different to me. I thought it was probably the pic playing tricks on my eyes.

Anyone using DBW pedal from a trailblazer around here??
I have one and others are using them as well. I have some pics somewhere of it mounted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.