Temperature sending unit - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Temperature sending unit

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
It's a 4. something

User is: OffLine
Temperature sending unit

I need to have a temperature sending unit milled to fit in the passenger side head of my truck.

I don't know of anywhere here in central AR to get it done. Would any of you guys happen to have a spare you'd like to sell or be willing for me to paypal you some money to do one for me?

I know that I could drill and tap the head but it's a little late for that and I don't want to run ANY risk of having shavings get in the head or cracking the head.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
takes 2 balls in our game

Re: Temperature sending unit

There was somone o here who had one milled, but I dont know who it was...
I think others who somehow screwed the s10 unit into the ls unit, something like that...LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
It's a 4. something

This is probably a really dumb question but is there a reason that something like this wouldn't work? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2032____

Is there a difference in their resistance or whatever it is that they output?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
It's a 4. something

Ok next question. What if I purchased something like this and put it in the passenger side head and only used the gauge wire from it?

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...Coolant/Detail

That biatch is expensive.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
It's a 4. something

Hell, what if I just bought a 98 3 wire sensor, like such http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...aro-CTS/Detail and used only the gauge wire?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
It's a 4. something

Ok so I looked back on an old thread and saw where Jared said that the 3 wire 98 camaro sensors read 20 degrees off.

I think I may still go that route and keep that 20 degree difference in mind when looking at the gauge. Since the PCM has it's own sensor, this is just for me to see anyway.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
the youngest has been

you could always pull the needle off the cluster and "recalibrate" it to the correct temperature.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
518MOTORSPORTS

Have u called every machine shop u could find. all u need is a lathe. I called 10 places before someone did mine. I just told him if it broke it no big deal it was a chance well taken. It cost me $20. I don't see why current performance or s10performance hasn't started selling them. i thought about it but hell i would have to sell the thing for like $50 or $60 to make it worth my time and plus i don't like or have paypal or people calling and bithchin at me when they have a problem cause they are stupid.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Home is where you make it

Would something like this work for you?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Wa...pter,8195.html

Im you could go to a hardware store and find a thread adaptor / reducer that would fit?

Kybrad's thread (machined down) : http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/s...-5-3-a-449328/

Last edited by Sngleman; 12-01-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: hit the wrong button...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
It's a 4. something

I looked into that adapter but it's too small to fit the S10 sending unit.

I can always try to call around more and see if I can find someone who can mill it for me. These people around here are usually RUDE as hell and I can only take so many old men when a grumpy attitude saying "no we don't do that kind of stuff" as if the're pissed off that I asked.

I know of a guy down in louisiana that is supposed to have a bad ass machine shop and could do it but I need something a lot sooner than the next time I'll be down there.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
Home is where you make it

Quote: Originally Posted by scriptedmind
I looked into that adapter but it's too small to fit the S10 sending unit.
I would say look around for other thread size adaptors if your in a rush I forget the thread combinations from the 4.3 and LS blocks..
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
518MOTORSPORTS

I know the head is 12mm and the sensor i believe is 1/2 npt or 3/4 npt i cant remember. i think its the 1/2npt they dont make an adapter for it u have to mill one of the two the head or the sensor, or run the camaro one and let it be off.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #13

Hey have you seen the latest extreeme 4x4? They drilled the top of the water pump for the steam tube to go in. You could always pull the water pump, or since you just got a new one, drill that and use the sending unit there. I know it may not be the best looking solution, but better then pulling the engine if you can't find someone to change the threads.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
It's a 4. something

I've seen mention of drilling the water pump on here before too and I think it's even in an instruction PDF that Jared sent me. My issue with that is that I've only ever seen the car style pumps being drilled which are shaped different than that L92 truck pump I have. I'm also scared that I will drive it and the sensor will hit the impeller or something and not fit because it's kinda long. Also scared of metal shavings getting in my pump. lol I'm a chicken I admit.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
518MOTORSPORTS

I had thought about drilling my water pump to but didnt for two reasons. For one I drilled it for my steam port and two I didnt think it would be accurate enought I wanted engine temp afraid that the water in the pump would be a little cooler then the engine because of the heater core returning water there which would be cooler then engine temps.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #16

Since you have 2 pumps, you could always try on the old one first. You can drill it on the truck to make it easier, then pull it to clean it out and make sure you got all the shavings out, and if it hits the impeller then you know not to do it to your good pump. I already got rid of my old truck pump or I would do it just for informational purpose.

I just thought it was an idea since you can't get to the head. I did mine in the head, used grease to get the shavings and then cleaned it out. There may be 1 or 2 small fragments left, but they will get stuck in the heater core or radiator if there even is anything left. It's not like it's in your oil. You just have to be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.