S-10 Forum banner

lSx swap question.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nobreaks254 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about jumping the mix of hot rodding a second gen s truck. I don't even have the truck yet but an Extreme is at the top of my list. My question is, which of the LS engines are more suitable or preferred to do a swap for a second gen, S10? IE: more parts options available verses having to fabricate things. I would like to do a 6.0 LS2 unless someone can tell me that another option is better, I know this is probably a noob question but that's exactly what I am.:surprise:

#2 ·
Generally speaking, all of the LS engines are fine for these swaps. The LS2 is a little lighter being aluminum, as is the L33, or LS1. I say pick what fits your budget that is in good condition. I highly recommend a Holley pan and a CPW harness. You can run a truck intake and accessories if you choose.
The other thing I recommend if you can swing it, is a nice set of headers. Either the stainless works headers or maybe the BRP set, but make sure you have a plan in place. The BRP's require their mounts and crossmember. Check out the stickys at the top of the LS section, lots of good info in there.

#4 ·
Generally speaking, all of the LS engines are fine for these swaps. The LS2 is a little lighter being aluminum, as is the L33, or LS1. I say pick what fits your budget that is in good condition. I highly recommend a Holley pan and a CPW harness. You can run a truck intake and accessories if you choose.
The other thing I recommend if you can swing it, is a nice set of headers. Either the stainless works headers or maybe the BRP set, but make sure you have a plan in place. The BRP's require their mounts and crossmember. Check out the stickys at the top of the LS section, lots of good info in there.
Is it true that you don't have to notch the front cross member using this pan with the right motor mount. If so which mount?

#5 ·
Is anyone out there running a CPW radiator with auto. transmission cooler? Is the auto. trans cooling adequate or is there a need to go with an external cooler? This build, LS3 with a 4l60e/4l65e trans., will have very limited driving i.e. parades and shows.

#7 ·
I would not go out on a limb and say you don't have to notch. It can be done, but don't count on it, or it certainly WILL bite you in the ass. I notched to make sure I had plenty of room.

#8 ·
I used the Oil pan and poly motor mounts from s10V8 dot com. Mine worked that I didn't have to cut the cross member. My cross member had a small hump in the center. Just drove it down a touch with the big hammer. Ive got about a 1"1/2 clearance. This is on 94 extended cab. When I got the engine back far enough it worked out nice.

#9 ·
I'll add my two cents. I just installed a 5.3/4l60e in a 2000 Exteme yesterday. This is a very budget swap. I used the GM Hummer oil pan and Current Performance poly mounts. No notch required but it does hang below the crossmember about an inch. No mods to the AC box either plus the stock trans crossmember is in the stock location with no slotting the trans mount hole. Stock, uncut driveshaft as well. I used the ebay shorty stainless headers and just had to clearance the drivers side upper control arm a bit. The steering shaft is VERY close but not touching. Might have to swap that out for safety sake. Counldnt be happier. Now to just finish the wiring and fuel lines. I do have a coiuple questions thou. For those that used the gen 4 truck intake, what did you do to make the heater core lines fit? They point right at the intake. And what are you using for a throttle cable bracket since it was designed for dbw and im dbc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.