S-10 Forum banner

LQ4 Camshaft

980 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Iroc-10 
#1 ·
I have a stock 2005 LQ4 going into my 1994 S10, I'm currently looking for a decent used cam to bump up the power higher into the power band, and was looking at a stock LS3 cam, can I use this with a new set of springs to do what I want to accomplish?

#2 ·
I'd go on http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/ and ask the experts.
Bear in mind a cam and springs will also require either buying efilive and doing some diy tuning
or $pending on having it tuned by a pro. Either of which will probably double the cost.
Since you are doing a swap, you might want to get it together and de-bugged before
opening a 2nd can of worms. I read an LS swap thread where after a year the owner pulled the cam back out
to help eliminate some of the problems he was having.
JMHO
You are breaking my heart with your avatar. I just junked an identical truck 2 months ago because the salt cancer had gotten outta control. I had put a TBI 350 from a 93 9C1 squad car in it in 99. It served me well for 16 years.

#4 ·
I think for a general cam that most guys really like the 228 fits that bill. There are a few variants of it, but generally it specs .228/.228 .580/.580 and they make it on a 112, 113 and I believe 114. Your not getting away with stock springs though.

If your looking at a factory cam, I think it was GM High Tech (When they were still a magazine) did a camshaft shoot out and in the end, the LQ9 cam was one of the best overall factory cams. The LS3 cam, is not a direct bolt in a 05. It would require more work imo than it's worth. Since these are hydraulic rollers, I would say start looking for a nice used cam if your on a budget. Lots of guys upgrade all the time and sell off their old (many times barely used) stuff. Hell, I gave my buddy my old 5.3 that had a small cam in it, with pushrods and springs because I didn't want it in my garage, and they just aren't worth that much.

#5 ·
I hear you, I'm always on a budget I'm a tightwad that likes certain things, I'm always looking to save a buck for everything I do. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't, but I think it's neater to do it as cheap as you can and then enjoy it afterwords.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#6 ·
When I first did mine I was trying to stick to a budget and found a 04 z06 cam cheap and went with that, after a couple years of driving with that I wanted more and went with the 228r. I had to replace new parts again that I already did when I did the swap. I had wished that I saved a little more and just did the better cam at the time instead of after words.but that's just me, while it was apart again I cleaned up somethings that I did from the original install so it wasn't a total lose.

Reactions: Supermac88
#7 ·
Personally I've never had much luck with used stuff, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you plan on going cam only (aka no boost) i'd say go big, a 6ltr will gobble up cam and ask for more. A 228 would be a good driver cam imo, should have very good street manners and not be too terrible on fuel. I run a 233/237 .630 cam on a stick shift 5.7 and would not be afraid to go larger, however this isn't my daily. That being said, other than the fuel mileage it drives pretty damn close to stock if you can believe it.

Cam tech and tuning have come a long way, you can get away with alot of cam without much sacrifice. Tons of cam knowledge here and on LS1Tech. The guys at cam motion are very helpful, or you could look into a pat g speced cam that comp or cammotion could grind for you. Good luck and lets us know what you come up with.

#10 ·
Sorry, I have to dis-agree here. With a big cam, there is a lot of things to think about.
1. It is much harder to get a good tune, that makes drive ability what it should be. I am not saying it can't be done, but unless your tuning it yourself, it's REALLY, REALLY hard to find a tuner who cares enough to do what it takes, to get the off idle tip in crisp, and right, as well as decel.
2. A big cam will shine on the dyno, and may run a better # at the track, but on the street, a smaller cam will have better under the curve power, feel faster, and drive better. Your just not going to spin a street car to 7k enough to make it worth it IMO.
3. A big cam is harder on parts, AND requires MORE parts, to make them work. With a big cam, you need steeper gears, because it's not going to have the low end torque a smaller cam will have at the lower rpm's. Along with gears, you really need a converter if your auto. Springs are a wash, because everyone as a general here, should be using tooley .660 springs, best buy for the $, but stock heads just don't flow well enough for a "big" cam, so again, more $.

Big cam's does not mean faster, and you don't need a big cam for thump, if thats what you really want.

I agree that a big cam can be run, but there isn't a lot of need for it IMO. I guess, it really depends on what you call big, and what you consider tolerable in drive ability. One of my friends has a Tick SNS stg3 in a 01 Camaro SS 6spd car. It's driveable for sure, and we have tuned on it a bunch. It runs GOOD for a cam/exhaust/gears car, but again, it has to be spun to 7k. His wife hates the car, and while not apples to apples, my truck is just as fast, 60 ft slower, and is WAY more drive able, and not just because it's a auto. Once I get my suspension right, it will be faster than his big cam car that is a 6spd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.