Look, Another Build Thread! LS1 into 2000 S10 Ext cab - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Look, Another Build Thread! LS1 into 2000 S10 Ext cab

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Look, Another Build Thread! LS1 into 2000 S10 Ext cab

First of all I would like to say that this forum is great. I like the attitude of everyone here and how willing to help when questions come up. I have found almost everything I need to know about swapping a LSX into one of these trucks.

Anyways, on to the swap stuff. Oh yeah, please ignore my spelling. I'm not the best at it.

I bought this white 2000 2.2 extended cab s10 in really good shape for $600 with plans to put a V8 of some type in it.

I originally wanted a LT1 or an old Tuned port motor out of an older Camaro or Trans, but found out that one of the shops I service (I'm a Matco Tools man) had a 98 Corvette LS1 that he wanted to get rid of so we did a little tools for motor trading

The motor is completely stock and in great shape with only 88k miles. It was missing starter and all accessories though. I plan to keep the bottom end mostly stock with some valve train upgrades. I went a little crazy on comp cams web site and got a mild cam (cant find spec sheet at the moment), lifters, trunion rocker upgrade, comp valve springs, and comp double roller timing set. I also got 243 heads, arp damper and head bolts, SLP oil pump.

Heads

Valve train goodies

LS1 block, all stock for now. Sorry it's covered I will post pics when I start to put this thing together.

More goodies! LS6 valley pan, new vette Alt and PS bracket, some CPW poly mounts, and the Hummer oil pan...

Parts Galore! New starter, New Alternator, Silverado compressor and hoses (I thought about notching the frame but think Ill go with the compressor relocation kit that CPW has. LS1 intake. That will be up for sale soon and replaced with a FAST or LS6 intake.

Stock LS1 stuff removed to make room for the LS6 stuff

I call this the piss the wife off wall. The more stuff I hang the more she gripes.

I have all the drive by wire stuff (TAC, Pedal and ECM) from an 03 Silverado but after talking with Jared I think I will go with a cable instead. It has something to do with the year of the ECM. Can anyone clarify that?

After some more horse trading I got this 4l60E from a guy that built it to run in a built 6.0 Silverado project that he lost interest in. It has a 3000 stall high performance converter that I don't think i'm going to use. On top of the tranny behind all the other crap is a stock 5.3 harness that I got from him as well. I won't be using that either. I will be getting the CPW harness.

I got this jewel from a junk yard for $20 hope it works. It needs to be cleaned up badly.

Question: Is it a sin for a Matco man to have a Snap-On toolbox in his garage?

In a week or two I will be dropping some cash on the CPW harness, ECM tune, AC Compressor relocation and hose kit, Radiator Condenser and fan kit, and headers.

Let the fun begin. More PICs soon
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Killing Time

Re: Look, Another Build Thread! LS1 into 2000 S10 Ext cab

Welcome to the forum...The LSx section does seem to be the most helpful/informative section on the site...IMO.. What year model was the donor cluster from?? If it was 98 or 99 then some things may or may not work in your 2000 model truck... With that particular engine/trans/ecm setup it'll be easier and less confusing to just run the DBC TB...I would keep that stall if I were you it's not much higher than a stock stall at 3000 and it'll save ya some dough....You can possibly sell that 5.3 harness for some extra cash also...
Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Saving for Turbo

Looking forward to this build.

And how did you score a 2000 ext cab for 600?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by Petro
What year model was the donor cluster from?? If it was 98 or 99 then some things may or may not work in your 2000 model truck... With that particular engine/trans/ecm setup it'll be easier and less confusing to just run the DBC TB...I would keep that stall if I were you it's not much higher than a stock stall at 3000 and it'll save ya some dough....You can possibly sell that 5.3 harness for some extra cash also...
When I got the cluster I didn't think to get the year of the donor. If it dont work It will be one more thing to sell.

Couple of questions, will a DBW ECM work with a cable setup if the right software is loaded? Also, what is the stock stall for some LS1 vehicles?

Quote: Originally Posted by Tuckin15's
Looking forward to this build.

And how did you score a 2000 ext cab for 600?

The truck's owner took it to be repaired but when he found out it had a bad motor he signed the title over to the shop. The shop owner was going to fix it for himself but never got around to it. I made an offer and he took it.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Killing Time

Just get Jared to reflash the 2.2 ECM since he'll be buiding your harness anyways...He'll get you fixed up whenever you order the harness...Also the stock stall is something like 2000+ IIRC
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

I got a little freetime this weekend and decided to install my Comp 918 valve springs. I also bought a new camera as pictures from the iPhone suck.

I've used a couple of different valve spring compressors but this one seems to be the best type. I got lucky, one of my customers loaned me this one. Saved a few bucks there!

The heads I got are supposed to be real Z06 ones. I got them off ebay so they could be 5.3 heads for all I know. Are there any numbers that identify which application they were used? Anyways, they are pretty clean to begin with. Here are some before pictures.

Check out this one. Kinda reminds me of the Movie Armageddon

After a couple of hours and a few cans of brake cleaner! Here are the results.

While I was at it I decided to work on the bottom end a little. I did the necessary grinding on the part that needed clearancing for the LS6 valley pan.

Here are some more of the block. I cleaned the carbon off the top of the pistons when I cleaned the deck of the old 97 - 98 style head gasket. I will be using the newer multi layer steel gaskets when I put this thing together.

Is it normal for an LS1 timing chain to have alot of slack in it? You can kinda see it on the left side.

Here it is with the heads sitting on the block

What sensor is this and what side of the motor does it go on? I couldn't find anything that would prevent me using this head on either side of the motor.

Thats all I had time to do this weekend. I had a long honey-do list.
Next weekend I will (hopefully) get the truck into the drive way and start prepping the frame and firewall as well as get the motor sealed and tranny bolted on.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
518MOTORSPORTS

What sensor is this and what side of the motor does it go on? I couldn't find anything that would prevent me using this head on either side of the motor.

Thats all I had time to do this weekend. I had a long honey-do list.
Next weekend I will (hopefully) get the truck into the drive way and start prepping the frame and firewall as well as get the motor sealed and tranny bolted on.[/QUOTE]

That is a coolant temp sensor it goes on the driver side just where u have it but if the heads get bolted down with it in the pass just switch it over no big deal
Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

thats the water temp. sensor and it goes on the driverside. to slow i am. ^^^^
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
takes 2 balls in our game

Nice start.... I guess you should have all the tools you will need... except I dont see a BFH!!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by s10-den
Nice start.... I guess you should have all the tools you will need... except I dont see a BFH!!
I havent found a need for that thing yet. The BFH12 is awesome. I bet they loved comming up with the part number for that thing. I keep one on the truck and call it the service writer adjustment tool.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #11

I just noticed you wanted to know if they were real LS6 heads. Real LS6 243 heads had different length intake and exhaust valves. Yours all look the same...not an LS6.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
Takin my time

My LS2 243 heads have the same length valves. Still a 243 cast. Should be the same numbers
Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Blue-X

I love ls build threads.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Bought Not Built

Quote: Originally Posted by rumnarv
I havent found a need for that thing yet. The BFH12 is awesome. I bet they loved comming up with the part number for that thing. I keep one on the truck and call it the service writer adjustment tool.
Hey damn it i'm a service writer, lol. Cool project, i'm reading up on this for the blazer or some future project truck. I'll def subscribe to this one.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Undaunted
My LS2 243 heads have the same length valves. Still a 243 cast. Should be the same numbers
Exactly...They're from an LS2. The head casting is the same on all the 243s the only difference in the ones they used on the LS6 is the actual valves. I have a set of 243s on my LS1 and they are supposed to be real LS6 heads but I don't know that for sure because I didn't install them.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #16

Today I spent some money. I ordered the harness, radiator fans condender pkg, compressor relocation kit, ac lines, coated headers, and some ECM tuning from CPW. Jared definatly makes it easy to drop $3500.

I also ordered a LS6 intake off ebay. I spent more that I wanted for that but it was new with gaskets and map sensor.

Now i just gotta make the time to get-r-done.

Quote: Originally Posted by ss454
I just noticed you wanted to know if they were real LS6 heads. Real LS6 243 heads had different length intake and exhaust valves. Yours all look the same...not an LS6.

Thanks. I was wondering if they were. I guess thats why they were so cheap. I went back and read the info from ebay and I misread for sure. The auction actually said they were the "same as" LS6 Z06 heads.

Quote: Originally Posted by slonlow2000
Hey damn it i'm a service writer, lol. Cool project, i'm reading up on this for the blazer or some future project truck. I'll def subscribe to this one.
Ive had fun with that. Techs love to harass their writers.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #17

When I got home from work I found a couple of boxes on the porch. One of them was a new LS6 intake that I ordered earlier this week. The other was a new drivers seat. The seat came from an 08 Lexus IS350. Ever since my wife got her IS350 I have loved how comfortable and sporty the seats are. All I got to do is make them work in the S10 with a Blazer console.

The tag says Made in Mexico

Here are a couple of the seat. I think I stole this thing, $300 shipped. Now I just hope I can find a passenger in the same condition. The only concern I have about this is the hight of the bottom cushion when compared to the stock seat. I don't want to sit to high and have my knees up in the steering wheel. The seat sits almost exactly 1 inch higher in the center and 3 inches higher on the sides. Hopefully a tilt column and some really custom mounting, these seats would be awesome in the truck.

I moved the truck into the driveway so I can start to work on it tomorrow. I had some time and was looking over the fuel system and noticed this sensor. What is it and do I need it?

Anyways, thats all for tonight. Maybe more tomorrow
Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #18

That's the fuel composition sensor for runing E85. Don't need it. If your SES light is not on you might look into selling it as they do go bad (mine is), and I know they go for over $300.00 new
Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
Saving for Turbo

Or i would keep it and run your ls1 on e85 then u can raise you compression.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #20

So that means my truck is a Flex Fuel right? I don't know if the SES light was on as I bought the truck not running. I don't think i'll be running e85 so i'll probably remove it to keep it simple. I don't even know where e85 is sold in my area.

Has anyone kept the fuel composition sensor and had their LSX tuned to run off e85?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
Saving for Turbo

My buddys 03 ext cab runs off of e85 it has a 5.3 with a magna charger on it. ill see if i can find some pics.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #22

Yes, it's a Flex Fuel. No E85 here except for the Florida Turnpike I think. People are running LSX's on E85 (mostly boosted) but I know if they are using the fuel composition sensor or just tuning for it.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #23

I was able to work on the motor today but ran into a some trouble installing timing chain and cover. It took more time than I thought so the truck didn't get touched. Here are some pics of what got done.

Started with removing the old timing chain and sprockets.

That puller is a heavy duty pitman arm puller that OTC makes. It worked perfect with one of the bolts removed.

Removed OEM lifters. Will be replaced with Comp lifters.

Old parts

New lifters soaking while I work on replacing LS1 corvette cam with a mild Comp cam.

Cam spec sheet. I didn't take any pictures during the cam change as my hands were covered with assembly lube.

Installing the new double roller sprocket on the crank shaft was a pain. I had to use the crank balancer bolt and the old timing chain sprocket and a large pair of pliers. Three hands would have been nice here.

Comp double roller installed.

This is the SLP ported LS6 oil pump. I went with this pump over the melling because I was told the melling would not allow the timing cover to be installed. Well guess what, neither does the SLP. This is where it got fun.

I spent 3 hours grinding and test fitting the timing cover. I did some research on LS1tech and found one guy who used spray paint to paint the inside of the timing cover. He test fit it and where it would make contact it left a mark in the paint. He removed and grinded cover and repeat process over and over untill it fit. I used this method and it worked well, but sure was aggravating.

Here is the grinded cover before installation.

I used APR head bolts on the cylinder heads. I got lazy and didn't take many pictures.

Windage tray went on fine. The pickup tube needed its hold down holes slotted to make up for the spaced out oil pump.

LS6 valley pan, steam tube, knock sensors and harness installed. LS6 intake resting on top.

This is all I had time to do today. I need to get a balancer installer to install the balancer so I can get this thing off the stand and bolted to the tranny. Maybe more to come tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
Saving for Turbo

Quote: Originally Posted by br408408
Yes, it's a Flex Fuel. No E85 here except for the Florida Turnpike I think. People are running LSX's on E85 (mostly boosted) but I know if they are using the fuel composition sensor or just tuning for it.

I know my buddy is tuned for it.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #25

@ Truckin15's
Yeah, I ment to say that I don't know if they just tune for it or use the fuel composition sensor. I kinda think they just tune for it and not use the fuel composition sensor because with the boost and the compression they run, I don't know if gas is still an option.

@rumnarv
Motor's looking good, wish I had an aluminum block.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
Saving for Turbo

yea im not to sure.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #27

easy way to tell if its a flex fuel truck is look at the 8th digit of the vin... it wil be a 5. But yes, yours is a flex truck... coming along nicely...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #28

Update...

Got some more pieces to the puzzle...

Monster Transmission 2000 Stall lockup converter. With the cam I'm using I think the 3000 stall I got with the tranny was too much.

New GM LS1 water pump.

Good used valve covers. These will be painted to look like new.

Question! Where do the vacuum lines go when using the LS6 valley pan? Do I plug off the ports on the valve covers?

Vette covers resting resting on top for now.

Thats it for now. More to come soon.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
12.3@110 5.3 cam only

looking good man
Old 05-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #30
Killing Time

What's that seat out of???
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #31

What's that seat out of???
Lexus is350
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #32

Coming along nicely!!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #33
Check your ground

Subscribed! What are the plans for the suspension?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #34

Quote: Originally Posted by 556mm
Subscribed! What are the plans for the suspension?
Honestly, I don't know. I do know that I want vette wheels, lowered, and to hook up a bit. It will be a daily driver with maybe 1 or 2 track visits a year. Once I get it running ill do some research on that step
Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #35

More Parts ! Just need time to get this thing together...

Fuel line and connectors

Caltracs

I was planning to work on the truck this weekend, but found out that I have a Matco district sales meeting that I have to be at...

Oh well, maybe I'll have time one day..
Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #36

I know you got the LS1, but how do you tell what engine you're looking at? I have what is supposed to be a 2004 Silverado 6.0, no harness but I got the ECU - Is there a section somewhere that shows how to tell?
Sorry, not trying to steal the thread; also how do I "subscribe"?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #37
Saving for Turbo

Quote: Originally Posted by onequickray
I know you got the LS1, but how do you tell what engine you're looking at? I have what is supposed to be a 2004 Silverado 6.0, no harness but I got the ECU - Is there a section somewhere that shows how to tell?
Sorry, not trying to steal the thread; also how do I "subscribe"?

It will be stamped on the block....if its a alum block its prob a lq9 6.0 if its cast you prob have a lq4 6.0 being its out of a silvy.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #38
Iron LS2 coming tomorrow.

It will be stamped on the block....if its a alum block its prob a lq9 6.0 if its cast you prob have a lq4 6.0 being its out of a silvy.

Negative. The LQ9 is an iron block. So is the LQ4. The LQ9 is a higher compression (as well as a few other small upgrades) version of the LQ4.

onequickray, start a new thread and post some pics of your engine. The engine block's casting number is on the rear of the driver-side cylinder bank of every Gen III/IV V-8 block:

Compare your numbers here to identify what you have:

12550592...350...97-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12551358.........99-up...Gen.III, 4.8L or 5.3L, cast iron, truck
12551364...364...98-04...crossbolted cast iron Gen. III, 6.0L, truck
12559378...350...99-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12559846...350...98-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12560621...350...98-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12560626...350...99-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12560629...350...99......crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12561168...350...01-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12562174...350...98-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum
12568952...364...05-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, 6.0L, aluminum, LS2
12566910...325...04-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, 5.3L, aluminum, SSR truck
12571048...325...04-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, 5.3L
12573581...364...98-04...crossbolted cast iron, Gen.III, 6.0L, truck
12577184...364...98-04...crossbolted cast iron, Gen.III, 6.0L, truck
12577396.........02-up...Gen.III, 4.8L or 5.3L, cast iron, truck
Old 05-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #39

Meeting got canceled Look what I did today! Plenty of pics

I pulled the engine out last year and sold it to one of my customers who needed it for parts.

This truck came from Oregon, so there is alot of rust to deal with. There is alot of crap in these engine bays. The air pump thing at the bottom of the engine had more hoses and wires than the 2.2 had.

Is it necessary to keep the power steering cooler? It is definatly shot and needs to be replaced.

Rusted brake lines to be replaced. I broke the passenger side line that runs along the crossmember while moving it out of the way.

I love rust .

Once I get this thing running the first trip it will take is to the scrap yard to get rid of all the rusted junk. I ordered a new bumper, grill, lower air dam, both wheel wells, and new core support

For now my wife and I live in a townhouse that has a single car garage. I would love to have a nice big garage but since the market crashed we can't sell it for anything close to what we owe. Also, my wife likes to park her Lexus in that garage so I had to get a storage unit for all my crap. Here are all the "keepers" loaded in the tool truck on their way to storage. Oh yeah, I got those camaro wheels for $100 off a car that one of my shops was junking. They need tires and repainting, suprisingly they are straight and have no road rash. I don't know if i'll use them as i'm kinda set on vette wheels.

A little prep work before sand blasting the frame.

This is the handy little tool that I got for this job. These thing retail for less than $80 on a tool truck and much less on line. The sand I use is Play Sand from any home improvement store. It is like $4 per 50 lb bag. This thing works great on rust but found out it sucks on grease soaked dirt. I had to get the pressure washer out for that

Thats bare metal.

This is the result of pressure washing the grease dirt

This is where i'm at right now. Tomorrow ill finish up the sand blasting and then will paint the frame.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 AM   #40
Saving for Turbo

Looking good man!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #41

Wow, that is getting in to it. Nice job!!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #42

Looking good man!
Quote: Originally Posted by onequickray
Wow, that is getting in to it. Nice job!!
Thanks !
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #43

Finished up the frame today..

Here is what I used. I thinned it with acetone and brushed it on with a disposable brush. I also used the spray can on the hard to reach stuff, cant tell the difference. I've seen this paint hold up very well on utility trailers and lawn furniture. Lets see how it does on a truck.

Thats it for now, next weekend I will be painting the firewall.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #44
LSX Jimmy

Quote: Originally Posted by rumnarv
Update...
Good used valve covers. These will be painted to look like new.
Question! Where do the vacuum lines go when using the LS6 valley pan? Do I plug off the ports on the valve covers?
check this out for the routing. if you google LS6 catch can, you will find how to add the catch can to ensure no oil sucks in the intake.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by moon509
check this out for the routing. if you google LS6 catch can, you will find how to add the catch can to ensure no oil sucks in the intake.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Thanks a ton, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #46

Update, well not much really. The guy that was going to paint my firewall bailed, so I did some research on suspension options as well as spend some time in the junk yard looking for Blazer spindles, calipers, and brake lines that are not rusted away. Here are some pics. Sorry for my laziness, no before pics.

Not too bad for a $3 rattle can job.

I decided to go with an OEM ZQ8 suspension because I wanted a factory ride and also not be too low to the ground. I ordered everything I needed off ebay. My research says I needed front springs, rear leafs, front and rear sway bars, and the center frame brace. Am I missing anything? I also ordered the spohn upper and lower control arms and new wheel bearings. I haven't decided on shocks yet. Any suggestions?

Good used brake lines to replace the rusted ones. Still need the rest of the rear line and 2 front lines. Had to leave so I didn't get locked in

I also got a bunch of new parts in.

New 4.3 throttle cable. I'm lovin the whole sock in flip flop thing i'm rockin also...

New Optima battery box, will be relocated under the truck. I saw this in someone elses build thread and liked it. I will paint this black as well.

New tailgate

New front bumper and air dam

Both new inner fenders.

New Core support

I had some extra time so I wire wheeled the rusted bolts and lightly dusted them with black paint. This was a pain in the neck, but will be worth it. I hate rust.

Thats is for now. Tomorrow I will be meeting my painter and hopefully get the firewall painted so I can get this thing moving.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #47

DAMN!! Your doing all out on this one... looking good!!! On that power steering cooler, I wouldnt use it myself, but thats just me...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #48
Killing Time

Nice choice on the battery tray!!!! I really like mine...
Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #49

Quote: Originally Posted by s10-den
DAMN!! Your doing all out on this one... looking good!!! On that power steering cooler, I wouldnt use it myself, but thats just me...
Thanks, yeah it started as just a motor swap but turned into a lot more. The wallet feels it too.. It's just money and time, right!

Yeah i think i'll leave it off unless I find a good used one. I'm not going to stick that rusty one back for sure. It's too far gone

Nice choice on the battery tray!!!! I really like mine...
I think I saw it in your build thread.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #50
Killing Time

Eastwood makes a cool kit to coat bolts and other random parts in a black finish...I don't know how well it holds up or anything but look cool...

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-blacke...ystem-set.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.