Drag radials + rain=tragedy - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Drag radials + rain=tragedy

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Drag radials + rain=tragedy

On my way home from work monday the rear of my truck decided to pass up the front, sending me into the cable dividers at about 50mph. Trucks pretty much toasted not worth fixing for the amount i can find a decent shell. Sucky part is i just pulled the cab off two weeks ago to do a heads/cam swap. I even picked up a set of chrome torque thrust 2s for it, guess im gonna have to find them a new home lol

all this hard work for nothing did make record time though 10 hours by myself

the damage

Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

Re: Drag radials + rain=tragedy

whats this, #2 LS wreck in a week on here?

it coulda been MUCH worse... sorry to hear.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

Damn bro, I hate to hear/see this. I feel your pain brother; I am just wrapping up a partout on my 2002 Z28 M6. I'm glad you werent seriously injured man. Keep your head up and good luck on the hunt for a new LSx home. Looked like a real clean truck IMHO too.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
ITS JUST A TRUCK!

THAT SUCKS!!!! Sorry about your truck! I was considering running nitto drag radials all the way around on the syclone next summer, but the rain issue had me worried. I guess I'll stick with the normal street tires. Hey, do the next one AWD and have a 2nd gen sy with a ls. Glad your ok and good luck with puting it all back together
Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #5

yeah it def could have been alot worse, i walked away and the drivetrain survived unharmed. i woulda made it out the median if the nittos woulda hooked up in the mud lol sucks because it was such a clean little truck. i still believe in 555r's u just got to retire them to track duty after 50% wear, when they are new there awesome in the rain. i found a pretty straight 98 ss s10 that just needs to be put back together for cheap im goin to get this weekend. anyone in the southern states interested in a full zq8 suspension???
Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Eric

Slicks + Rain will do that to you...happened to my friend.

I don't support slicks for daily street use for this reason, not to be the dick here...but it was bound to happen eventually.

Glad to hear that you're alright though.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #7

Nooooooooo dude that suxx. I was jst abt to text u earlier today to see how its been going. Damn man. Sorry to hear.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by badnoma16
Nooooooooo dude that suxx. I was jst abt to text u earlier today to see how its been going. Damn man. Sorry to hear.
well its runnin awesome lol i raced a full bolt on six speed trans am with a 125 shot from 40-120 and he only pulled two cars. its all good the other truck is gonna look sick on the tt2 with a fresh red paint job
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Deja_Vu969

I don't support slicks for daily street use for this reason, not to be the dick here...but it was bound to happen eventually.

they're nitto 555r def not slicks but far from rain tires lol i know better than to drive on anything more aggressive.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Anybody got 20's?

Quote: Originally Posted by Deja_Vu969

Drag radials and slicks are two different things.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #11

WHAT!? dude that sucks!... where'd you wreck at?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by Bdydrp02s10
Drag radials and slicks are two different things.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'd be willing to wager that the OP thinks his "drag radials" are pretty "slick" now
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Bowtie Til I Die

That will buff right out, I dont see why everyone thinks its bad lol. Seriously though that was a nice looking truck. Of course im kinda partial since i have two that same exact color
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #14

Is it really that bad? The pics are small so it's hard to tell. I thought dr's were decent in the rain, although, I last used Hoosiers, and they were new. I could do 2 hops, stop, flash my converter and they would hook on a 12.0 mustang. Maybe they were a different compound, and certainly a different tread design. Good luck in a new truck!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #15

DR's are definitaly not designed for the rain. They are Designed to basically be a Street Legal tire that you can drive to and from the track.

There are 3 big differences between DR's and say a UHP Summer Tire.... Void or area that the water can escape the Tread Pattern, Tread Depth helps increase the void, and compound DR Compounds are designed for ultimate Dry traction where the UHP Summer compound is designed for Dry and Wet.

That being said i do also run DR's on my camaro which i do drive in the rain from time to time. (Just because i haven't gotten 18" rims to fit the set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's that was basically given to me....) You just have to be careful in deep water espically. Just my .02 as a Tire Design Engineer....
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #16

Glad your ok man.That sucks about the truck!I did the same thing driving with MT drag dadials and it started raining and the ass end came around.Thank goodness I didnt do any damage to the truck.I was only going 30mph when it happened.2 days later I pulled them off and put street tires back on.Good luck on the next build,I'm sure it will be better than the last.Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.