DIY wiring harness for 5.3 swap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

DIY wiring harness for 5.3 swap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Two tones of terror

User is: OffLine
DIY wiring harness for 5.3 swap

I have searched but couldn't find anything that helps very much. What I am baisically looking for is any helpful threads or wiring diagrams that shows what does what, and breaks down what each pin on the ECU does so I can weed out what I don't need from the stock 5.3 yukon harness, and build a standalone of some sort. I am looking to build my own harness because while the one from current performance is all too sexy, it's just as pricey. This shouldn't be too hard for me because I have already built and installed Megasqurt'n'spark from scratch into my turbo volvo project. Im still kinda new here from the euro tuner world, but from what I have found so far this is a really good forum. Any help is appreciated
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
takes 2 balls in our game

Re: DIY wiring harness for 5.3 swap

you wont find that posted anywhere aroud here ....there is reasons.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Makin Sparks

http://alldatadiy.com/
$25 for a year of 1 vehicle

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
$20 for 3 days of pretty much every vehicle.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Call me Mario, Princess

you could do it the old fashioned way and go to the library and look them up in the service manuals they have there and make copies for 10 cents a peice.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #5

go to the GM dealer, ask them to print off the diagrams from alldata. They shouldn't charge much if anything. I get mine all printed for free, (but I spend about as much time at the dealer as I do at home)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #6

Check out ls1tech.com in the conversions and hybrids section...there is a great sticky. I also found this one to be helpful, too: http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm (yes, it says LT1swap, but it has 5.3 diagrams, too)

And I also agree with the above posters - alldatadiy is the best $25 you can spend on your swap if you want to do it yourself.

Last edited by brentg454; 04-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
8.81@156

The easy way to do it yourself is pick up the phone and call Jared... Its a small investment when you consider how seamless it makes the swap and how much time it saves you from having to fight with it yourself. He's The best there is and everything will integrate just like GM built it.

Not the answer you want but its seriously a major headache saver.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
ls1 junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by Black X
The easy way to do it yourself is pick up the phone and call Jared... Its a small investment when you consider how seamless it makes the swap and how much time it saves you from having to fight with it yourself. He's The best there is and everything will integrate just like GM built it.

Not the answer you want but its seriously a major headache saver.
X2

I did mine myself. it works but i still have a few issuse with dash lights. took me almost 10 hours to hunt and follow wires for different things. if i did it again, the first thing i would do is call jared and order my harness.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #9

I actually started looking into this swap more and more once I found Jared's site. I wasn't going to do a V8 fuelie swap unless there was a plug and play harness available. I think I slept on the decision for 2 nights and decided to pull the trigger and do the swap. So instead of a paint job for the 71, I decided to do a V8 swap with Jared's kit.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
LSX Swapper

I made my own on the first one, I am making two more but at the same time, if you guys ever question why its so spendy. Try buying all those terminals and connectors... Even at a discount I still have 400 into it. If I would have known that before I got my total I would have ordered from CP. Oh well next time right...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #11

Does Jareds harness allow you to use the stock cluster and allows everything in the truck to work right?
IE Radio Lighting HVAC etc, Because when I finally do my swap I want it to be like the truck came that way.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
its just greg

there are other companies that do the harnesses. http://www.speartech.com/ and nelson performane both make harnesses. jared has done a ton of them but you will have to wait for them. call the companies i listed and let them know what you need and they will give you a quote.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #13
WHAAAh?

Or you could just buy mine right now and for $35 bucks Jerad will modify it for your needs............just a thought . But really, why give yourself the headache???
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Build them right....Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by thenick
Does Jareds harness allow you to use the stock cluster and allows everything in the truck to work right?
IE Radio Lighting HVAC etc, Because when I finally do my swap I want it to be like the truck came that way.
The best method to determine the answers to your questions is to go to the source:

http://www.currentperformance.com/
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #15
Makin Sparks

Quote: Originally Posted by thenick
Yes.

Like the other companies out there, we also build stand-alone harnesses for non-computer controlled vehicles, but unlike the other companies, we fully support the S-10 swap community by building complete plug and play wiring systems that are designed and built from the ground up to plug in to the engine, transmission, and truck with little if any splicing. They are designed to take advantage of existing systems in the trucks, and make everything work 100% like it did from the factory. No figuring out anything on your end.

Other companies will gladly sell you a harness for the engine, I have heard it time and time again, but then you get the harness, and find out that there is a lot more to making everything in your truck work then just making the engine run.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #16
WHAAAh?

Yep its pretty much plug n play
Old 12-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
rolling work in progress

so if you were to get a stock harness modified would the gauges work.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #18

jarrad whats the price if i send u my stock harness and get u to mod it
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #19
Makin Sparks

http://www.currentperformance.com/eng_mgt.html#Mod
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #20

Go with Current Performance! They know what to do and STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #21

This is a no brainer..I'm an Elevator mechanic and I'm always troubleshooting problems,tracing wires down etc.I took my 04 harness and tried to intergrate everything,had all the pin-outs and called Jared numorous times to no avail.After a month of this trying to get this to work I said screw it and ordered my harness.2 weeks later it came in the mail,pulled it out of the box(what a masterpiece)in 45 min plugged everything in and cranked right up and all my gauges worked.Worth the $825 Should have done it at the begining.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #22
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Yeah what they said. I have all the pinouts and wiring diagrams and it just does not look pretty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.