Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
takes 2 balls in our game

User is: OffLine
Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!

Hey fellas, would you try to have this welded or put a stud in there or ?? ?Its the inside hole (starter hole)of the block...Just need couple of quick opinions...
The LSX section is where most of the mechanics hang out...
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!-cracked-block-001.jpg  

Last edited by s10-den; 03-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Bowtie Til I Die

Re: Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!

what does it look like on the flywheel side? I def. wouldn't attempt to weld it since its cast. do you know what caused it to crack?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Yep, about 90mph into something that did not move!Its out of a wrecked truck I just bought..
The crack is on both sides on the the hole.Goes a little insid ethe oil pan, I havent taken the oil pan off yet.I bolted the starter to it and tightened both bolts down.I'm worried about when I hit the key though.
The starter was broke and that bolt was bent, to bad it didnt just break off...
Cast can be welded, but you got to have the right stuff, I dont...LOL

Last edited by s10-den; 03-24-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Bowtie Til I Die

Quote: Originally Posted by s10-den
Cast can be welded, but you got to have the right stuff, I dont...LOL
I know it can be but i figured since you were asking that you knew it was hard lol.

Are you sure it didn't warp the rest of the block if it did that to that part? But it seems like from the picture that the crack doesn't go to the threads so it might be able to be saved...maybe...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Well, I hope it didnt warp the block! Dont really know yet, im going to fire it up the weekend and see what happens, taking it to the machine shop and have them weld it and cross my fingers and eyes that its ok..
Normally I would have walked away from itbut the 30,000 miles said otherwise..
I had to cut the frame out to get the motor out of the mangled mess!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #6

If i were you i would pull the oil pan and make sure the crank spins freely. Ive seen bad wrecks snap a crank or break a timing belt/chain and the piston smacked the fully opened valve its not good. This however was not on an LSx but i would still check to be sure before you spent too much time trying to fix that crack.

Typically once a crack starts its only going to get worse (From the heating cycles as the block get to operating temp and cools back down and the directional forces on the block as the stater is spinning over.) if you don't correct it in some way. Cast is hard to get a strong weld on. Machine Shops might be able to give you a better idea on the ability to fix it.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #7

Yea, it spins over, took the valve cover off and all the rockers moved, oilpan is coming off today.Im suppose to take it to the machine shop and have them weld it if they ever call back!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
LSx and V8 Mod

Welding cast iron sucks. Very few people have the tools and the ability to do it!

I took a welding class and even the instrucutor wasnt very good at it, but could do it. He only did a demonstration, we never welded on it.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #9

it doesnt look very bad actually. as long as it isnt cracked all the way through into the crank case!

fire it up see if it leaks. if not, it would be just fine to put a few tacks on there. that way that little peice cant have an affair with the flexplae
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #10

Actually, the crack stops right at the oilpan bolt.I cant fire it up right now, its sitting on my trailer..LOL but I think I will stick the starter on there and hit it with the jumper cables and see what happens.Machine shop said it would have to be a bare block and put in an oven and all kids of bull, so hell with that!

Last edited by s10-den; 03-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #11

I had a chunk of a bellhousing break off of a transmission once and I found a local tool and die shop and had one of those guys weld it up for pretty cheap. While that was cast aluminum and not iron, those guys usually know their stuff and may be pretty resaonably priced
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Build them right....Mod

I wouldn't mess with it. Pick up a block somewhere and use the internals and exterior parts.

Phil
Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Honest Abe's Fab Shoppe

there is NO sure fire way to weld cast, its a hit or miss and will typically fail no matter what when put under stress. I would say weld it if it isn't a real structural part of the block.

Pre heat it with a torch and try to MIG it, stick weld it with a nickle rod, or try knocking the flux off the nickle rod and use it to TIG it. Can also try using a high nickle stainless filler rod with the TIG, or try brazing it with a brass rod. MIG with out preheating it will be worthless, you'll be able to pick it off by hand.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #14

I just welded a little tiny piece of cast. I do not have an oxy/ace torch, just a little MAP gas one, worthless I know. I used a mig, high heat, low wire feed, and started away from the area to be welded just a bit and worked it really slow to let it build up heat before I started on the piece to be repaired, all while having the MAP gas on it. The key is to cool it down as slow as possible. So far it has held, although the car has only been through a dozen or so heat up/cool down cycles since the repair (on the back side of a head, where the exhaust manifold bolts on- there was a little flange with a bolt hole and it broke off, right through the hole. This was on a 60's Cadillac 429)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Honest Abe's Fab Shoppe

different cast will have different properties... some more weldable then others, none are consistant. You'll also want to groove out the crack quite a bit.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #16

If you can you need to drill stop it. Drill a hole at the end of the crack so it stops if you want to even try to use it. You certainly want to do this before trying to weld it, otherwise your wasting your time. I use to repair train traction motors, and have seen them crack all the way in half when not repaired properly, the heat cycles and stress on cast is like crumbling a cracker.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #17

I wouldnt use the motor. If it wrecked hard enough to crack the block im sure its going to have a good bit of crank walk. Find another block and crank. The reason i say that is because a friend of mine flipped a 383 s10. Got another body and put his motor in it. As soon as he started it up it went to rattling because there was play in the crank. Good luck on whatever you do.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #18

this could be true, however what does he have to lose, except labor? It sounds like he is dropping in a stock motor. If he gets it in and it has a crank wobble, he can still swap it out and he is not out anything other than the labor. Personally, I'd take the chance. We won't know which is the right call until it's installed and running.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #19

I am not going to do anything to it, I'm going to put it in, if it dont work, well, looks like I will be pulling it right back out..
I have other plans too... ..
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #20

just a couple of other pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!-cracked-block-002.jpg   Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!-cracked-block-004.jpg   Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!-cracked-block-003.jpg   Cracked block by the starter, LOOK HERE!-cracked-block-006.jpg  
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #21

i was going to say earlier this morning but i was late for work. that crack just looks like the starter bolt was pushed back. it doesnt look bad at all in the new pix. you have nothing to worry about using it. dont forget to post pics of the install, Jody!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #22

Yea ,I went out and looked at it again and tightened down the bolt, seemed to be good, so I'm going to put it in this weekend.30,000 miles, I have to at least try it.
no pics of "this" install Frank, I am not worthy..LOL
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #23

Lies!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #24

Lmao!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.