S-10 Forum banner

Can I run 11's and get 20+ MPG?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Iroc-10 
#1 ·
If everything goes right I'll be picking up a 2001 single cab step side truck this coming weekend as an LS swap project. The main use for the truck will be hauling motorcycles around so I mostly just want it to be fun to drive. One of my two current bikes is capable of high 9 second quarter miles and I used to have a 600 that was capable of low 11's so I've got a pretty good feel for how hard a vehicle has to pull for those kind of times.

I think having enough power and traction in my truck to run high 11's would satisfy me. I could outrun most late model V8 Camaros and Mustangs that way and have plenty of power for general hooliganism.

But, since the point of the truck is to haul bikes around for track days or meetups at Deals Gap and such I'd like to see at least 20MPG on the highway. I'm planning to run a T56 tranny so it doesn't seem like that's out of the question.

What I've had in mind is running a 5.3 with mild heads and cam and a single turbo. But do you guys think I could run 11's and get 20 MPG with just motor if I go with a 6.0 liter? It would definitely be a cheaper build and much easier to get on the road if I don't do a turbo.

2nd gen single cab truck with 6 speed transmission and whatever rear end gear ratio I need to run.

Thanks for any advice or feedback!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks man. I searched your older posts but I don't see a build thread on what you were running back then. Was it a 6.0 liter at the time?

By the way, the info you and others listed in the parts list sticky is a huge help with my build. I did see a comment in there about a server crash back then so maybe that's why I can't find much about what you were running in 2007?

#5 ·
Like Black X said, this can be done.
Making the power and still getting mileage is certainly doable.
But to go high 11s, you must have either crazy HP (high mph), or a good launch.
A combination of both can't hurt either! :smile2:

But if you plan on a turbo motor, you could shoot for a high 1320 mph and go with street tires. You could ease off the line and try for a 2 .0 second 60 ft. and a 125+ mph could do it.

You could be one of those guys that I have left in the dust off the line, and at finish line, blow by me doing 135 and I'm at 115!:surprise: I hate when that happens....:wink:

#6 ·
Thanks guys.

I did buy the truck yesterday. I still have a ton of reading I need to do before I start buying anything engine related. All I know for sure is that I want the aluminum block.

The truck has a high mileage but good running Vortec 4.3 in it right now and a recently rebuilt NV3500. It's a factory ZQ8 suspension truck and the 8.5 rear end has been converted to Blazer discs plus it has a Yukon Dura Grip posi diff in it. So that and at least 285 width rear tires will be my starting point on traction.

I expect to do more to the rear end for traction but need to research it and figure out the right path. I'll definitely be relocating the battery to the back and I'm reading a thread where a guy used a Blazer fuel tank behind the axle to redistribute weight. Since I need a hidden hitch setup like he has I think it might be a project I'm willing to tackle.

I won't actually be running the truck on the track but it would be nice to have as hard a launch as I can get. I don't know what kind of 60 foot time is realistic for a somewhat daily driven truck on street tires but I've got some dollars in my budget specifically for this.

#7 ·
It sounds like you just need to say what you'll be using the truck for. I mean, I daily drive mine, and haul a trailer on occasion as well. I have ZQ8 leafs under mine right now. I am going to pull the middle leaf out, and throw some Caltracs under mine and see how it 60's after that.

In the even it doesn't do what I want, I may put Caltrac split mono leafs under it, but in that event, I will need to put some helper bags under it, so that when I do haul anything of weight, I can keep the weight off the leafs. Its really just about finding a way to make your truck, fit your needs, and achieve your goals.

#8 ·
I get what you're saying about figuring out how I'll use the truck. What I want is for it to launch like a dragster on slicks, handle like a road course car, and ride like a Caddy, all with 1000 pounds of stuff in the bed.

Seriously though, I do need it to have some light truck capability. That means either a 300 pound super moto or a 500 pound sport bike in the bed. Or, pull both those bikes at the same time on a small trailer. Other than that it will need to haul home whatever LS motor I end up buying and possibly a T56, if I don't just buy a built one new.

I'm sure I will want to drive it without hauling bikes though if it's fun. Maybe even daily drive it and sell my current Mustang at some point.

While I keep reading and learning I'm going to work on getting a stepside shave kit installed and updating the front suspension/steering which is really worn. Right now I'm reading about the LS1/C5 brake swap and will probably be doing that pretty quick along with tube controls arms and such. I might go ahead and get an Intrepid electric fan setup after that so I can remove the clutch fan and free up those couple extra HP from this little 4.3.

Hitting some specific ET is less important to me than just building something fun to drive. But coming off the line hard and outrunning a new 450 HP Camaro SS would definitely be fun.

#9 ·
Since you aren't actually going to be going to the track (much) it sounds like you're looking for a fun. easy to drive truck that can be a "stop light terror". I can relate to that!

If you do some research, you can get some sticky tires that can approach the traction capabilities of true Drag Radials. (and still drive safely in the rain) And like others have said, a set of Cal-Tracs or Slide-a-Links would be needed.

I'm liking the alum. block idea, save 75-100 lbs on the nose right of the git-go. Might cost more that a 5.3, but if you could score a junkyard L92 (6.2 400 HP) that'd be sweet. Escalades and tons of big GM PUs & Suburbans etc. had them. I got a low mileage one for $300 a few years ago with a busted block (from crash) and recently got another for $200 with a bad front main (needs a crank). Those were lucky finds, but a couple G's should give you a 400 HP motor that's ready to go with all the accessories, etc. (which I got none of)

With those motors, just a cam change, ditching the cam advance stuff and also ditching the DOD cylinder cut-out crap, it is basically an LS3 base Corvette engine rated at 430 HP, and rated at 480 HP with GMs "hot" Hi Perf cam, which is still mild, very torquey, and has a sexy slightly lumpy idle, and works well with the stock EFI.

Stuff to think about...... .:wink:

#10 ·
Well, with my truck, it's the same setup many guys here run. I have the QA1 adjustable coil overs up front with 500# springs on the Beltech 2102 Blazer 2" lowering Spindles, and Zq8 rear leafs with blocks and Calvert adjustable shocks. I have poly body mounts, and poly mounts everywhere on the truck.

I can make the truck ride soft, or stiff. I have some issues that I still need to work out to get my truck to 60' like it should. Currently, it 60's in the 2.0-2.3 range on drag radials. It still has a half assed tune in it, and has so far ran the best of a 12.38. I can't remember the mph off the top of my head. It is just a SD tune, and the MAF is off. I was tuning the VE side, and have left it there. It is not quite getting 20 mpgs yet, at least combined, but its close. If I finished the MAF on it, and did a little tweaking, it would probably be there.

I will finish the tune here soon, and work on the suspension, and hope to knock off a 11 this year, NA before I throw the boost to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.