S-10 Forum banner

6.0 rebuild for my towpig

3K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  nfamus10 
#1 ·
Just because this is my hood. My buddy did all the technical shat. I am $3500 into this right now. So story goes my 2007 vortec max fullsize crew was running a touch rough and then lost oil pressure. Only had 130ish on the odometer. So......instead of buying a new truck I sold my GSXR and dropped the money into a rebuild. Nothing amazing, just some goodies and still no note every month. I got lots of pics and lots of boxes. Main upgrades are VVT delete, and the 4cyl shutoff crap removal. Truck will be tuned on the dyno for final numbers. On to the pictars.
When i got it to what it is now. Minor lift with 20s on 33s.

Zone Offroad

See less See more
#3 ·
Gotcha. But this being an ls forum on s10 forum I thought maybe someone would be interested in an LS build. I do what I want. Ha. I am also a grown man and try not to take the internet too seriously. Besides, I could never be mad at you because I really like 4 door blazers and by owning one you are cooler by one point. Lets try some pics of the new stuff.
Machine work done to block and heads.

Air in..

#12 ·
Gotcha. But this being an ls forum on s10 forum I thought maybe someone would be interested in an LS build. I do what I want. Ha. I am also a grown man and try not to take the internet too seriously. Besides, I could never be mad at you because I really like 4 door blazers and by owning one you are cooler by one point. Lets try some pics of the new stuff.
Machine work done to block and heads.

Air in..

[/QUOTE

My truck is a S10 not a Blazer.

#4 ·
Forgot to let machine shop know diff springs going in...oops. Mike will swap them out.

#6 ·
Around 925. That may carry a small discount as my buddy got the work done through his speed shop.

#7 ·
that's not bad at all. I have around that into a 4.3... lol I've got a 5.3 that I'm freshening up and I've gotta pull my 4.8 out of my 97 and have it rebuilt soon. I've heard that LS machine work is usually more expensive than old 350's which is why I was curious.

#8 ·
More pics. Sorry about the upside down ones....iphone and photobucket acting up on me.

#10 ·

Had the kiddo man the degreaser can and I scrubbed it down.

#11 ·
We are shooting for a Friday night thrash but we will see. Need to get lifters and rocker arms soaking before then but other wise all the reusables are clean and ready.

#16 ·
you should check out black widow mufflers!

#17 ·
Gonna see what the stock stuff sounds like then go from there. I will check those out though.

#19 ·
Well that's what we were thinking. Spark plug number 6 smelled of gas and looked to be area of misfire which is how this started. From what I read that's the common area with the classic lifter failure for these early year motors 2007ish. Soon as oil pressure dropped I stopped so there was no major damage to speak of.

#20 ·
Yeah, I have a friend of mine who refuses to tear his truck apart, and fix his issue before it gets bad. I don't know why, but I guess he wants to buy a new motor, or a reason to, IDK.

#21 ·
You running a different cam?

#22 ·
Yes but the cam is the only part that the builder wishes to keep to himself. I was gone floating the river and vacationing a lot last few weeks so we just got around to working on it last night. Top end all buttoned up. Oil pan should go on today and then I will clean up the engine bay a little. No problems so far. Stay tuned. Pics when photobucket works for more than 2 seconds on my phone....

#25 ·
I find that so funny when builders act like that. This isn't some all out every ioda of HP/TQ motor, in fact, its just a tow rig, but whatever, LOL.

#24 ·
Motor all buttoned up and ready to go back in. Oil pan on but not pictured.

Mike is crazy about the details. Extra cleaning. Man builds a tight motor.

#26 ·
I agree but he is helping me out so much I got to respect his super secret haha. He swung by my garage Friday and dropped off last few pieces. O2 sensor extensions, intake gaskets, 2 little o-rings from GM....$8 a pop. Hoping to drop it in this week with help from my buddy Chris. Today I pushed it out and did a little engine bay cleaning. Replaced and retaped a little bit of the stock harness. Anybody got any leads on a few good pics on where everything goes? I labeled the plugs but I should have taken some pics. I am sure we will get it fingered out.

#27 ·
Well, I mean, did you pull the harness? If not, once you understand which way it lays (most of the battle) the rest of it, is almost idiot proof. Depending on the year, of course, there are a couple exceptions. I believe the cam/crank sensor can plugs can actually be plugged into each other. I know most of the plugs, just by looking at them, so, if you do get stuck, post up a pic of said plug. Make SURE, you get the grounds all connected on the back of the heads.

BTW, once you get it running, post up a vid, and we will just guess on the cam, so you at least have some close specs, LOL

#28 ·
Rain in TX has been awesome but not good for driveway motor installs. Got it back in last night though. Yeah I pulled the harness. Just always ask on the forums for those little tips not to miss so I don't have to redo too much. Somehow I tossed the torque convertor bolts in the engine to trans bag....haha. I was sitting on the motor saying WTF these are crazy short when my buddy started laughing at me. Got that sorted. Motor went in so smooth after a minor hydraulic fluid malfunction with the harbor freight hoist. Three bolts in the engine/trans. Today I will begin installing accessories and harness. May be able to fire on Sunday.

#29 ·

Do not lose the O-rings for this little dude.$8 a pop from GM.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.