S-10 Forum banner

5.3 turbo build VS Racing 7875

36K views 114 replies 10 participants last post by  ogoz23 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm starting my 89 blazer build . I will be using a VS Racing 7875 billet turbo on a 5.3 . I started building the cross over pipes today and I notice that the truck manifolds facing forward hit the steering column shaft . Any ideas how I can fix this. I can't move over the engine any more . Here are some pics . Enjoy.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never seen someone successfully do that. However, to gain room there's the jeep steering shaft mod, and/or you can slot the mounting holes in the column to move it over, and/or put washers between the steering box and frame on the lower bolts to angle it.

G/L with the build, I'm going to use the same turbo on mine.

#4 ·
Correct, if you get those manifolds to clear the steering shaft in an s10, you'd be the first that I've seen. However, it looks like you don't have too far to go from the pictures?

Another thing I've seen is angle (or strait) mill the flange on the manifold to get it to clear. I've even seen a guy notch the manifold, and weld in a pipe, but it looked butch.

#8 ·
There are no stock manifolds or headers known to clear in an S10 LS swap when forward facing. Everything I've ever heard of always hits the steering shaft. That's why everyone either runs a custom setup or a modified driverside header or manifold.

#14 ·
Yeah glad to hear you got it to fit. Post up some pics from the front/driver corner so we can see how it fits better. Do you have the front accessories drive on?

#18 ·
I'm (hopefuly) going to put a treadstone tr1235 in mine in front of the condenser, but not until after Christmas.

I bought a used a/w intercooler, but once I figured out the pump and heat exhanger would be more money than the treadstone, and more complex, I changed it up.

This was my plan, but not sure about servicing it (dumping water all over the engine when I take it off) and it needed surgery after I installed the wiper motor it didnt fit this nice.

#32 ·
Actually the factory ones are better due to utilizing thicker steels. The only place I put more clutches than factory was in the direct drum where I put 6 factory clutches instead of 5. I just used .077" steels from the forward clutch pack. The direct is the most common failure but this can be remedied buy doing the dual feed mod. There are different ways to do it. The HD2 kit allows one to do it without taking the transmission appart. Since I have a trans brake from a vendor on ls1tech and was rebuilding anyway I had to do it the other way.

#31 ·
I am guessing the manifolds fit because this is a Blazer, however, I don't know for sure, because I don't know if the first gen Blazers have the engine sitting higher, like the second gens? Who can verify?

#35 ·
Maybe we should change the forum to where your must post pics, and words are optional. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.