5.3 Truck Manifold VS. LS1 Manifold -- PROS? CONS? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

5.3 Truck Manifold VS. LS1 Manifold -- PROS? CONS?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

5.3 Truck Manifold VS. LS1 Manifold -- PROS? CONS?

Sorry for the long title. So I'm picking up a 2001 5.3 out of a Silverado Friday, along with the 4L60E Trans, and all of the associated wiring, etc.

A friend of mine recently finished with a swap, with basically the same setup (hence the inspiration for mine) but seeing that he had some minor clearance issues with the fitment of his intake manifold with the hood, I'm STRONGLY considering one of the LS1/LS6 intake manifolds.

So what would be the pros/cons of the truck intake vs. the LS1/LS6 variation of intake manifolds? Fitment, Performance, MPG issues, anything that you can think of?

Thanks,
Ant
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Yes, they're all mine

User is: OffLine
Re: 5.3 Truck Manifold VS. LS1 Manifold -- PROS? CONS?

A car intake imo is going to better for you all the way around. A car inatke just works better
Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
It's a 4. something

User is: Online

I've seen a LOT of people lately saying that the truck intake is better than the LS1 intake.

edit: performance wise I mean. Obviously hood clearance wise you can't go wrong wrong with a car intake. However car intakes require some bracket relocation with truck accessories.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
takes 2 balls in our game

The truck intake is actually better than the LS6 intake too on a stock engine!.... but damn is it ugly...lmao
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by scriptedmind
I've seen a LOT of people lately saying that the truck intake is better than the LS1 intake.

edit: performance wise I mean. Obviously hood clearance wise you can't go wrong wrong with a car intake. However car intakes require some bracket relocation with truck accessories.
Can you elaborate on that please?

What kind of bracket relocation are you talking about?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
It's a 4. something

lol yea it's ugly, unless you like em big and black... LOL. ok enough drunken humor. It isn't the best looking. I honestly don't notice mine, much with the engine cover though

The exact relocation I'm not sure of because I run the truck intake. It's like the idler pulley or something that has to be moved and you will need the L92 style short neck truck pump to clear the TB.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #7

Their is a truck on here, 4x4 no less, that has a truck manifold.

And I've seen somebody who trimmed the truck manifold and painted it, didn't look too bad.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
takes 2 balls in our game

Yea you fellas are right, lil sanding and reshaping, it doesnt look like the un-masked predator!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
V8 with bags

i personally think the smoothed truck intakes look awesome and it what i plan to do for mine
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

LOL I don't care if it looks like an unmasked predator or a naked natalie portman, I just want the better performing of the two intakes to go on top of my engine...... And wanted to know what kind of problems I might be running into if I go with the LS1 intake.....

Also..... This guy that has the manifold I might be picking up, also has a set of LS6 factory exhaust manifolds.... Would there be any difference between those and some factory LS1 exhaust manifolds......

Damn I want some nekkid natalie portman pics now lol
Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
It's a 4. something

This might help: http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=392089

From what I've read, I wouldn't do an LS1 intake unless you just wanted the room. You basically lose some power and torque from going with it.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Bowtie Til I Die

to make this short.

ls6 intake > 5.3 truck intake-at higher rpms
5.3 truck intake > ls1 intake-all around

Im using the truck intake because it wont cost me any extra since I already have all the parts for it and wont have to buy a different water pump and an idler pulley relocation bracket. I don't feel like putting 10k in a 14yr old truck like some other people have done. Mine may not look the best when im done but idc

you will want 98 or 99 f body steel manifolds because the collector flanges WILL have to be cut off for them to fit and pipes welded to them. The cast iron manifolds that are on the 2000 and up f bodys are hard to weld to
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by scriptedmind
This might help: http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=392089

From what I've read, I wouldn't do an LS1 intake unless you just wanted the room. You basically lose some power and torque from going with it.
Very informative article.....

Although that FAST intake is a little out of my budget for the time being, I think I can swing the scratch for an LS6 intake. I think I can sacrifice a little bit of low-end grunt for a little bit of peak gain up top.

Not to mention I think I have access to an LS6/LS2 cam (friend is giving it to me). Just hope these 862 casting heads on the 5.3's would work well with that intake/cam combination......
Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #14

Never sure whether it is best to resurrect a thread from the past or start a new one, but if you do a search for truck manifold you'll find this one in the LS section, so here goes.

So, my comment to add is that you will likely have an interference with the driver side tube on the heater core with the truck manifold. I am going to have to add a right angle or relocate the core outboard of stock position if possible on my Blazer.
So look at that when you do your fit check.

Oh, and BTW this got sidetracked to exhaust manifolds but started as a question on intake manifolds.

Last edited by c2vette; 02-20-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: sidetrack comment
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #15

Tbss intake manifold FTW!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #16

truck intake is always better for performance. It just doesnt fit in cars because of height.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #17

I run the truck intake and love it, although it does look sort of like an unmasked predator. Your going to spend over $750 on the FAST intake though
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #18

The trailblazer ss manifold can be had cheap. That's the direction I was planning till I went l92
Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #19
Saving for Turbo

Truck intakes out perform the car intakes It has been proven in many articles in gm high tech and other various car mags that have done research between the two. The TBSS and NNBS intake flows the best. BTW in any one needs a TBSS/NNBS intake I have one forsale for dirt cheap need it gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.