S-10 Forum banner

4.3 compressor bracket

16K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  calebmcclellan 
#1 ·
So my buddy that tuned my blazer has been talkin a while and gettin parts together to swap his s10 and he has already made his own accessory brackets for alternator and powersteering and i mentioned making a bracket to use the stock 4.3 compressor and original lines and this is what he came up with.

these are the brackets he already has done. uses a jeep powersteering pump that requires a remote resevior. this 5.3 is obivously in a jeep xj but the brackets will clear in a s10

this is the compressor mount. there will be a block that goes between the 2 plates and replaces the spacer that the compressor mount will bolt to.

he was thinking of selling these if theres enough interest in them. there isnt a final product yet so i dont know when we can have one ready or what the price will be. we can also powdercoat them in any color that you want. so if we were to offer to make these how many of you guys would be interested in one?

See less See more
#2 ·
I was talking to a buddy about this last night. If someone produced a bracket that placed the stock compressor in about the same location and stock lines could be used, i think there would be a lot of interest. That means someone could do the swap without opening the system.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I think it's a great idea, I just wish I wasnt so far down the rabbit hole, I dont need one, now.:(

Come up with something that maybe uses a 5.3 truck bracket to hold the power stearing pump, mount the 4.3 compressor to the top where the 5.3 alternator used to be, and make a bracket to mount the 4.3 alternator to the passanger side, and sell it for under $500, I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

#7 ·
the holley setups still place the compressor on the passenger side, and dont work with the stock 4.3 compressor. keeping the compressor on the drivers side allows the use of the stock lines, depending on condenser i guess.

#16 ·
Yeah, I keep having a brain fart that others have different stuff than I do. I even looked at the pics, and still THOUGHT it was on the passenger side

#9 ·
on the drivers side...i imagine on top of the brackets he showed

there will be a block that goes between the 2 plates and replaces the spacer that the compressor mount will bolt to.

#10 ·
Oic I thought that was what he meant but the bolt holes in the middle of the bracket threw me off. It didn't look like they would fit but it might be looking that way to me because of the different size pics. It is an excellent idea as long as the high pressure line is still long enough.

#12 ·
Yep that will work great for folks who have their condenser in the stock location. Mine is in front of core support so I could probably get parts from trans air to make a small extension for my high pressure lines. If it is budget friendly for all the bracketry, it would be very cool.

#19 ·
It all mounts with the brackets shown in the first pic. Instead of the spacers between the two plates there will be a block that's tapped for the compressor bracket to bolt to. I asked him the other day about what price he was thinkin and he wasn't sure. Maybe around $500 for the whole setup but he wasn't for sure. He hasn't priced out all the material and all that. The compressor mount isn't finished yet. I'm sure if I can get a few guys to commit to buying it he can get the price down a little. He can also powdercoat for extra too. I'll talk to him more a out it soon. They just got the dyno fixed so ill be takin my blazer back down there soon.

#20 ·
Bumping for update. Has he thought about just milling the factory a/c bracket and figuring out a way to mount it to the LSx instead of creating one out of billet? Seems like it'd be a lot more cost effective and quicker to go that route. I've got a couple laying around I could donate to the cause. :D (READ: I NEED ONE BAD!!!)

*EDIT* the Holley a/c bracket is just a modified TBI R4 a/c compressor bracket. Someone on a malibu / el camino site has a full write up on how to mod it to make it work. Think the only problem 2nd gens would have running that bracket is the ECM / coolant reservoir.

#22 ·
Yeah that bracket on Malibu racing would be perfect for a 1st gen.
I'm sure you could reuse a stock 2nd gen stock bracket cut down but it would probably be as much work modifying it than to draw up a complete one and cut it out. I dunno I'm not the one making it but he's going to do it out of billet since he water jet the rest of the accessy setup. He was working on it the other day when we got done on the dyno. I'll have to see if its all done or what. Yeah jeep pump that doesn't have the reservoir on it, truck/4.3 alternator. There's a bunch of aftermarket ones too. It's what I use on my racecar. I doubt it would have a problem running hydroboost

I'll check later this week and see how far along he is. Maybe if a few of you guys would commit to one it could get the material cost down a little...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garag...Related+Components!r*Part*Power+Steering+Pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.