1987 s10 wiring help - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1987 s10 wiring help

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > LSx Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

1987 s10 wiring help

ok so i got a 5.3l with 4l60e, everything stock, that i put in my s10, i reworked the wiring harness to a stand alone myself, i got the info off of lt1wiring.com, and did the fuse block and everything just like said, everything works on the motor great, what the problem i got is, i have all these wires running from the fuse block inside out through the firewall on the drivers side idk where to hook in for them to work with the motor etc. i couldnt tell u where any of them go, except for the one purple wire that goes to the starter. i need some serious help, this is the last stage of the project and i am stomped on this!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #2

Re: 1987 s10 wiring help

Are you going to use factory gauges? If so then you have to wire them to the water temp sensor , oil psi, alternator fuel pump ... What are you doin about your speedometer ??? Those years are still cable driven if I'm not mistaken 91 and above had and electronic speedometer that can be wired in your trans if your using a t56,4l60e etc
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

im going with aftermarket gauges, probably from speedhut, but what im asking, i know all those wires dont go to just the gauges, theres alot there, and the ones that do go to the gauges, which ones are those?, and which ones do i hook up to the fuse block, ignition, and so on
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

User is: OffLine

Here ya go just finished wiring my 89
I'm using Speedway as well,I used some of the old wires coming through the firewall to connect my guages (sender to guage), cut them from the inside and wired them to a 10 wire( got it from salvage yard any door connector harness or power window connector will work) connector for all my guages to work, this way if I ever need to remove my guage panel everything is on a connector just disconnect it and pull panel. From the stock harness all I really used was 2 reds to alternator, purple to starter, wiper harness and pink key on to power my Intrepid fans through relays, and of course headlights and horn which I made a seperate harness for, used lights on and high beam signal wires to trigger relays with 12 guage harness I made. Fuel sender I pulled signal from harness coming from rear of truck, Reverse and neutral,( using BM shifter) TCC was all done from inside cab The rest I didn't use, cut them back wrapped them and saved them in case I ever need to add anything else through firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
1987 s10 wiring help-firewallbreakoutlabeled.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

I'm guessing you have a blue n red computer, pull signal from computer for speedo and tach, guages will have there own senders from Speedway.fuel guage is 0-90 ohm (wire from rear harness Taillight harness ) Fuel pump Walbro?? Run power lead from alternator or fuse block to a relay with pump wire signal from computer, harness you made for engine, then 10-12 guage back to pump and re wire into connecter, and fuse it, use heavier grounds to.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

i really appreciate it man, ur a big help, tomorrow i am going to go fiddle with this and see what i can come up with like i said thank you man!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #7

Your welcome, if you need anything else get back with me, I have all the schematics and lots of info.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
***1987 LSX S10***

is the schematics the same for the 1987 ? cuz i could really use them...lol
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #9

alright man, my grandpas shop is closed today but tomorrow, im going to have a whole day of wiring! i will let u know if something doesnt workout,!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #10

What year is your truck SoLow, I have First Gen info. Just looked at the stickies here in Electric, and its basically all in there for wiring, same stuff I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.