To Change or Not To Change Transmission Fluid...? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

To Change or Not To Change Transmission Fluid...?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > Blazer / Jimmy / Bravada
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #1

To Change or Not To Change Transmission Fluid...?

I have an '88 S10 Blazer with a 700R4 transmission. It has almost 200,000 original miles on it, and I'm not exactly sure how many times the trans fluid and filter have been changed. My fluids are still slightly red with some mid brown coloring. I've heard from the average jobber to either change it or leave it alone, about a 50/50 split, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to hear from a ASE certified tech if possible. I have had no previous problems with my trans, and I personally haven't changed the fluids in a bout 70,000 miles. My truck is a daily driver, and by no means a play toy at all. Any professional advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
under construction

Re: To Change or Not To Change Transmission Fluid...?

im not ASE cert. but I can tell you one thing...change it...dont flush it....and definately add a quart of old fluid with the new

the problem is that tranny fluid is a detergent....if youdon't change it regularly, the tranny depends on it to work. the clutch plates crack/peel over time, and rely on the "grit" of the old tranny fluid. Adding new fluid to an old tranny with cracked/peeled clutch plates = epic fail
Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip sdimewisher. I've heard to just change the filter, some say leave it alone completely, and some even say change NOW. I realize it may be too late to completely start out with fresh fluids, but I was always been afraid to add even a drop or two more of fresh fluids due to possible catastrophic failure as a result of my neglegence. However, I guess the only thing left to do is like you said, mix old with new, and hope for the best.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #4

User is: OffLine

Don't be fooled. ASE techs are not that great. Any one can go out and basically buy that cert just like they did.

I agree with sdime.
You are having problems with your tranny, it has not been maintained in a long while, you change to fresh fluid it will go out faster. It can, and most likely will still go out. You're not going to stop it from that. But you will slow it down from that.
Prepare for another tranny.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Old School

User is: OffLine

If it's not that brown, I don't think it's that dire fella's.

Hey, he could always change it and then throw in a handful of sawdust.

(I kid, don't do that)
Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for all of your responses. The fluid really isn't that bad right now, and the trans runs just fine (knock on wood.) The only reason I'm really concerned is because this truck is my baby, and I'm very anal about taking care of it. I know I've been slacking on the trans fluid, I'm just not sure if I should just let it ride til it dies or change the fluids and hope for the best. But assuming the motor might only last another 100k if I'm lucky (again, runs just fine) I should probably just let it ride, and do a motor/trans swap when it dumps on me. But I'm no mechanic, I just know enough to fix the basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.