Oil in 4x4 vacuum line? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Oil in 4x4 vacuum line?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > Blazer / Jimmy / Bravada
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
livin´ underneath

User is: OffLine
Unhappy Oil in 4x4 vacuum line?

Hi!

I've been through some trouble with the automatic 4x4, most of the times it was the vacuum system.
just like this time again. now sometimes she doesn't switch into 4wd until I check the hose that leaves the transmission leading to the switch to lock the front differential. I'll find some oil in there, let it out and it works again..... Where does that oil come from??? anybody with a similar problem?
greetings
Oli

---------------------------------------------
'94 Blazer 4.3l 4x4 automatic , 4d
Old 02-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #2

Re: Oil in 4x4 vacuum line?

Is it oil or transmission fluid? Could be your vacuume switch on top of the transfer case. I've seen several Blazers come into work with the same problem, and almost always ends up being that switch.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
livin´ underneath

Smile Re: Oil in 4x4 vacuum line?

If you mean that switch with the three lines (where the one I was talking about comes from) I replaced it new 4 month ago, since it didn't work at all back then.
The oil looked red to me last time I took it outta there, but might as well have been the sunset light. I pay better attention next time
thanx man
Old 02-27-2004, 07:24 PM   #4

I've had this problem too '87 Blazer - 2.8 liter - 5-speed - with ATF from the transfer case dripping out of the vent line that runs from the transfer case to a point up under the battery. In this line there is also a tee connector - with a branch to that vacuum switch that engages the front diff. Now, here's some more information - on checking fluid levels, the transfer case is WAY overfilled . . . and the tranny is WAY low. Seems to be that the seal at the front of the transfer case is leaking fluid from the tranny back to the transfer case . . .and when that gets too full, it pushes it out the vent tube. This is my theory to date . . . wonder what's involved in replacing that seal . . . I've had it all apart to put in a new clutch . . . not really looking forward to doing it again. More investigation planned . . . all other thoughts welcome!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
livin´ underneath

Well thats a scary theory if you ask me, I don´t really like the idea of takin´ the whole sh*t apart!
couple days ago it was so bad, that I saw blue smoke behind me, I pulled over and saw tranni fluid coming out of a valve on the end of some vacuum or whatever line, situated right of the engine attached to the cabin wall, the fluid was drippin onto the exhaust... is that kind of a drainage for the vacuum system?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
. . .tranni fluid coming out of a valve on the end of some vacuum or whatever line, situated right of the engine attached to the cabin wall, the fluid was drippin onto the exhaust... is that kind of a drainage for the vacuum system?
I think that that 'valve' that you're talking about is the transfer case vent that I described in my earlier post . . . sounds like we may have the same problem. I'm not sure when I'll get work on mine next . . . but I'll keep you posted if I figure out anything. I'm hoping someone else will chime in on this topic.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
livin´ underneath

oh please nooo! but yes sure looks like the same problem! next thing is, that the tranni fluid eats up the rubbers in the vac switches, like I read in a different thread, otherwise I'd just keep putting some fluid into the tranni everyonceawhile
well well well lemme know when you found out something, I sure have no time to crawl under my car right now, but I'm not driving it too much either.
read ya!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM   #8

Unhappy Re: Oil in 4x4 vacuum line?

Seriously a mess...I just got a hold of a '92 Jimmy 4.3L Vortec CPI that had a thrown rod + 4X4 doesn't engage. I've got the new/used/rebuilt/refurbed engine all machined and rebuilt and about to put in and not looking forward to fixing the 4WD because of all the oil/ATF fluid issues in the vacuum lines.

First thing I noticed when pulling the engine was that the black plastic spherical vacuum reservoir on the pass side inner fender is smashed (or maybe sucked) in on itself and oozing ATF from the broken seems. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS????

I was told to pull the X-case actuator out (3 bolts) and inspect and possibly just clean to get working or replace for ~30 bucks...easy enough, but the vac res collapse and ATF seriously worries me. Perhaps the vacuum res is the only thing that needs replaced. I'm thinking the actuator wont actuate if the vacuum res is leaking. That's easy enough to check out with a quick rig. BUT HOW DID IT COLLAPSE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

The trans was replaced 30K ago and was owned by close family so I know it's true. The rear seal should then be new enough to prevent the fluid from overfilling the X-case and ending up in all the lines unless the actuator is indeed bad. RIGHT?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by grimcreeper
First thing I noticed when pulling the engine was that the black plastic spherical vacuum reservoir on the pass side inner fender is smashed (or maybe sucked) in on itself and oozing ATF from the broken seems. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS????
Does ATF eat the plastic used for the vac reservoir . . . not good . . . but certainly a possibility if you're getting ATF into the vacuum system . . . I'll have to check mine tonight . . .
Old 03-02-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
livin´ underneath

I only know that I already had to replace the vacuum switch for engaging the front differential (under the batterie), the rubber was totally burst and I found ATF in there (
Old 03-03-2004, 07:26 AM   #11

No eating of plastic what so ever...That's what's so mysterious, I can stand on the res and not collapse it any further. It's hard as a rock! There was a lot of ATF in there too. Not just a few drips. I'm talking closer to 1/2 cup.

I'll try to get a pic of the res up for reference. Also trace the vac lines and check for fluid elsewhere. Likely more on this Thursday...but maybe Monday.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #12

Wrchism, your theory is right on...alot of 2nd Gen guys have been having the same problem. Some guys have had so much fluid that it's getting into the HVAC controls and killing them.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:49 PM   #13
livin´ underneath

Alright I ordered a new seal for the transfer case, don´t know when I´m gonna get that. It´s kinda hard to get parts down here.........
I talked to a mechanic today, he said it´s just "a couple bolts"
later...

btw - I checked ATF - looked like complete empty!
Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #14

Found ATF in the front diff actuator under the Battery too, but the rubber skirt was still OK...for now. Replaced the Vac Res, cleaned out the front actuator and still no 4x4. Next I'm heading for the transfer case actuator. There's good vacuum in the res so this is most likely the problem.

But my big problem now is with my new rebuilt motor lifters not inflating and will post a new thread about that...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:21 AM   #15

Well I pulled mine apart last weekend - front seal in the transfer case shot as suspected - very hard and cracked. A new seal is cheap . . . but now I'm worried about the amount of side to side play in the input shaft to the transfer case - a dial indicator comes up with 0.015"-0.020" depending on the position of the shaft. The transfer case has no functional problems . . . but will that much play destroy the new seal? Is it time for a rebuilt? Does anyone know anything about TransferCaseExpress (CLICK HERE). Any and all comments welcome!

Last edited by wrchism; 04-08-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #16

Here's a followup. I decided to try just replacing the seal. The replacement seal purchased from www.drivetrain.com CLICK HERE was a much higher quality design than the old one. So, I'm back on the road again and hoping for the best!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #17
livin´ underneath

sound good! I just replaced my seal, would love to try it out but now the fuel pump gave up. BUT that thing still works fine, its the wiring inside the tank (!!!) that got totally burned out. Thank God I'm not sitting on the moon right now! So thats replaced as well but it seems like it shot some other wire or fuse, she starts but immediately shuts down again.........
Old 05-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #18

Followup . . . the replacement seal seems to have done the trick . After driving it for two weeks, fluid levels in the tranny and x-fer case are where they should be. Good luck Belize in getting your fixed (along with your other 'adventures') and getting back on the road!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #19
livin´ underneath

yeah thx for your feedback...
I just had it all, new fuel pump, actually everything inside the tank is new, now I drove off, the babe running smooth and sweet, then after like 15miles just shut down and wouldn't come on again - low fuel pressure again!
something is messed up in my electric system and thats gonna take some time - but at least the tranny is not leaking anymore..
Old 05-06-2004, 09:57 PM   #20
import killer

Quote: Originally Posted by wrchism
I've had this problem too '87 Blazer - 2.8 liter - 5-speed - with ATF from the transfer case dripping out of the vent line that runs from the transfer case to a point up under the battery. In this line there is also a tee connector - with a branch to that vacuum switch that engages the front diff. Now, here's some more information - on checking fluid levels, the transfer case is WAY overfilled . . . and the tranny is WAY low. Seems to be that the seal at the front of the transfer case is leaking fluid from the tranny back to the transfer case . . .and when that gets too full, it pushes it out the vent tube. This is my theory to date . . . wonder what's involved in replacing that seal . . . I've had it all apart to put in a new clutch . . . not really looking forward to doing it again. More investigation planned . . . all other thoughts welcome!
i have this happen to alot of blazers including mine. you need to take the t-case off and get a new seal for your tranny and a new seal for the t-case. 80% of the time. the oil endes up in the servo under the battery. which will cause the rubber to sweal and rip.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by BelizeBlaze
everything inside the tank is new, now I drove off, the babe running smooth and sweet, then after like 15miles just shut down and wouldn't come on again - low fuel pressure again!
You should look into the following things:

-oil pressure sending unit-
check for bad wires or replace the unit if the wiring is good, it's right beside the distributor on the driver side of the intake manifold (well, thats where it is on the 90's style 4.3L anyway)

-check/replace your PCV valve-
it should rattle when you shake it if its functional.

If the ECM gets no reading from the oil pressure sending unit (intermitant/constant bad wire) or a reading it doesn't like (low or too much oil, a failing oil pump, or a faulty PCV valve) it shuts of the power to the fuel pump.

we'll hope you find a bad wire, replace the PCV and/or oil pressure sending unit. ....otherwise you may have a failing oil pump.

good luck ;P

Last edited by guest; 09-30-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.