lowering 4x4 s10 blazer - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

lowering 4x4 s10 blazer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > Blazer / Jimmy / Bravada
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #1

lowering 4x4 s10 blazer

k guys this is my first post...little background....i have never touched a truck or suv i have imports and classics so this is a first. i picked up a blazer today, 2 dr, 4x4 i wanted a 2 wheel drive but no such luck. how do i go about droppin the 4x4 is there a kit i am lost thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Tater Kustomz

User is: OffLine
Re: lowering 4x4 s10 blazer

well, u can get lowering kits, but u cant do a WHOLE lot w/ a 4x4...id say swap to a 2wd drive train... but if u wanted to lower it just a bit, either look on ebay or go to stylinconcepts.com
Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Off Vanning. bbl

drop keys in the front and lowering blocks or drop leafs on the rear. All belltech products.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #4

lol whats the point in dropping a 4x4? its like lifting a 2wd. not to be mean just wondering as to why. Should just convert it to 2wd, but its a pain lol.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #5

k dudes what about bagging the 4wd?? how will this work cuz i have a complete kit sittin right here never used i understand how it all works and am baggin a 88 s10 next weekend with my buddy but how will this work on a 4by????
Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
no longer has a 95

Quote: Originally Posted by HasteTheMoment
lol whats the point in dropping a 4x4? its like lifting a 2wd. not to be mean just wondering as to why. Should just convert it to 2wd, but its a pain lol.
You cant just convert a 4wd to 2wd. The frames are very different.

And its his truck, let him do what he wants with it.

If you wanna bag it, the guys in the baggin section can help you a lot
Old 07-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Dropping a 4WD is pretty gay IMO, but if you're really set on it you should at least remove the CV shafts along with your front driveshaft & disconnect your front differential lock so you don't have drivability issues.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Off Vanning. bbl

Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisInVT
Dropping a 4WD is pretty gay IMO, but if you're really set on it you should at least remove the CV shafts along with your front driveshaft & disconnect your front differential lock so you don't have drivability issues.

Look at sig. It is a 4wd frame.

I wish everyone would stop talking out of their (you know where) It is his truck let him do what he wants.

Why lower a 4x4 because thats what he has and why not be different. My truck in the sig is awd lt1 4l60e. It started life as a 2wd 4cyl 5speed. I switched frames to beable to have a lowered 4wd frame. Now do you think syclones and typhoons are gay. My guess is no.

Also you do not need to switch frames to bag it and you do not need to take you cv shafts out I ride on the frame bumpers and have for years and I have no drivability issues.

The rear is like any other blazer and the front you can do it like jimharb did with his syclone he put a bag under the torsion key so when he aired up the torsion bar stiffened and aired out the torsion bar soften.

Just do a search there is also a guy doing this to a second gen blazer.

Alos post some pictures when you decide what to do and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
I Have A S-10 Addiction

it will never lay frame or can it be body dropped for that point... soo lift it and put some big mudd tires and use it as the factory intended it to be used....
Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #10

My now 4x2 is slammed 5/6 soon to be bagged after paint and rims. I removed my halfshafts, and i'm about to remove everything else. I can get a complete 2wd sonoma minus engine and trans for 200, includes the title. I'm debating on swapping frames as we speak.

To be "differen't" I might even finish the paint and end up lifting it + bags. Haven't decided. Haven't gotten that far yet. You can bet your ass though it will NEVER even see dirt roads. So what's the point of lifting it and putting big red neck tires on it if it will never see off road? Kind of the same as lifting a 2wd for those of you that say that has no point. Quit following the pied piper.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Quote: Originally Posted by 95xtreme
I ride on the frame bumpers and have for years
That right there speaks for itself.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #12

WOW, lot of haters and shitty info in this thread.

You DO NOT have to switch frames to bag it. Search for jimrhabes thread.

You CAN lower it and still retain functional 4WD.

Alot of baja trucks are only 2WD...and we all know how shitty they work offroad.

There are lots of people on here with lifted 2WDs and several with lowered 4x4s. Bottom line is...use your truck for what you want and tell everyone else to go suck a dick.

I live in Kentucky where we occasionally get moderate amounts of snow. My truck is my first and only vehicle since I was 16. I had a nice 4x4 to work with so I did. It drives 1000x nicer than it did stock and I can throw my winter wheels/tires on and drive through the snow and slick stuff just fine.

If you only want a static drop...buy Belltech lowering torsion keys and some Belltech lowering blocks or lowering leafs. I would go with the leafs. I went with blocks initially and then wanted to go lower and had to buy the leafs anyways. I now run the leafs with a small 1.5" block.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #13

Tell them how it is Dillon.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #14

Come to think about it, in real life (i'm not talking internet life) I don't get SHIT from anyone when I tell them it's a 4x4. Truth is, it's not anymore. Just the usual jaw droppers. No stupid questions as to why, or, how. Everyone usually has the general appreciation. Everyone else knows they would probably be getting bitch slapped if they asked such questions.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
Off Vanning. bbl

That right there speaks for itself.
Speaks for what? My truck rides great it is a little harsh in the rear but that is because I have heavy duty gabrial shocks. I have put over 40,000 miles on the truck and have even done a 9 hour one way drive no problems and as dillion said in the winter I just fire it up and go through the snow.

And as critical said I don't get shit from anyone most people just ask how I did it. I even have a friend who took a zr2 that put in beltech drop keys leafs and blocks, and loves it.

Also look at the thread both dillion and I are talking about he lays on the transfer case and could go lower but has not pie cut his uppers yet.

Btw jssis this is to help you out with your decision and help you use what you have. Hopefully what you decided to do will make you happy and I hope you share the results with us.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #16

Us lowered 4x4 guys gotta stick together lol.

I still get a few folks who are kinda baffled by why I would drop a 4x4. It normally goes something like this though...

After the fact that it is a 4x4 comes up...
"Why the hell would you lower a 4x4??" -Random guy
"Because I wanted to..." -Me
"Well it looks really good...you can't even tell it's 4x4 anymore." -Random guy
"That's kinda the idea " -Me
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
Computarded User

Do it. mines droped almost 5 inches and has a astro transfer case. I love it.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
I'm a huge ass

There is too much work involved to get a 4x4 down really low to where it looks good. If you want a low rider go buy a 2wd, if not, take what you ahve a lift it!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #19

Quote: Originally Posted by 4.3Xtreme
There is too much work involved to get a 4x4 down really low to where it looks good. If you want a low rider go buy a 2wd, if not, take what you ahve a lift it!
I beg to differ. STILL4WD and I both have received LOTS of compliments on our trucks. Granted my truck isn't an inch off the ground like a 5/6 2wd but it's got a nice stance and still rides great (which is more than can be said about alot of super low static S-10s.)
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 AM   #20
Spare Parts Pack Rat

There's a 2nd 4x4 Blazer that runs around up here with a 3in. staic drop on 20s. He throws on his stock wheels in the winter time and gets around just fine.

Bottom line...looks good in the summer and is still fully functional in the winter.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #21

i just picked up a 95 4x4 blazer for $1500 and its my new project and i was wondering the same thing how to lower a 4x4 but yall help quite a bit.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #22

I Got A 95 4x4 That I Did A 3/4 Drop On Wit 20's It Looks Good In My Opinion And I Can Still Drive Threw The Snow My Buddy Ended Up Gettin A 4x4 And Did The Same Thing Cause He Liked It So Much All I Did Was Back The Torsion Bar Bolts All The Way Out And Did 2 Inch Blocks And 2 Inch Leafs In The Back Goto Blazinlow.com And They Tell You How To Get More Out Of The Front By Pullin The Torsin Bar Out Of The Crossmember Jackin The Tire Up And Puttin It All Back Together The Way It Was You Can Lower It So The Tires Are Tuckin All The Time And It Doesnt Cost U A Penny Just Time I Say Slam It 2wd Drive Guys Are Hatein Cause U Get More Of A Reaction Out Of People When They See Its A 4x4
Old 08-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by badazz350s10
I Got A 95 4x4 That I Did A 3/4 Drop On Wit 20's It Looks Good In My Opinion And I Can Still Drive Threw The Snow My Buddy Ended Up Gettin A 4x4 And Did The Same Thing Cause He Liked It So Much All I Did Was Back The Torsion Bar Bolts All The Way Out And Did 2 Inch Blocks And 2 Inch Leafs In The Back Goto Blazinlow.com And They Tell You How To Get More Out Of The Front By Pullin The Torsin Bar Out Of The Crossmember Jackin The Tire Up And Puttin It All Back Together The Way It Was You Can Lower It So The Tires Are Tuckin All The Time And It Doesnt Cost U A Penny Just Time I Say Slam It 2wd Drive Guys Are Hatein Cause U Get More Of A Reaction Out Of People When They See Its A 4x4
Most confusing post ever.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #24
Sox Nation

Quote: Originally Posted by badazz350s10
Anybody catch that?

Its his truck, let him do what he wishes. The guy's asking for some help, not opinions. If you can help, great, if not, wish the guy luck and move on.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #25

HERES WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT FOR THE FRONT GOOD LUCK WITH IT

The Torsion Bar Trick has become pretty notorious among the lowered blazer community. Apparently I didn't write the instructions thorough enough for a lot of people. Here is the more detailed revision:

Before you start (at least a day in advance) you should soak both ends of the torsion bars with a good lube like Lithium or WD-40. Driving around on bumpy roads will help work the lube into the mating spaces.
1. Jack up the front end and place jack stands securely under the frame so it is well supported. The front tires must be up off the ground enough for a jack to get under the tires or control arms for a later adjustment.
2. Take off the front bump stops. They must be removed or the truck will sit on them. (it should be a 9/16 nut).
3. At the crossmember (where the rear of the torsion bars stop) unscrew the 2 adjuster bolts. Remove these completely.
4. Use a two jaw puller (can be rented at Auto Zone for about $40.00 deposit) to lift the torsion bar adjuster arm (or key) up off its support block, so you can remove the blocks out of the rear hole in the crossmember. Then slowly let the puller back down to release the pressure.
5. Use a hammer and drift tap to pound the torsion bar towards the front of the vehicle. If you cannot get them to tap out you can remove the 4 bolts holding the whole crossmember in place and tap the crossmember toward the REAR with a sledge hammer, until both adjuster arms fall out. For some of you the exhaust might be in the way, You can use a jack to hold the pipe up out of the way.
6. You should be able to slide the bars forward a few inches to 'disengage' them from the control arm hole. Use a jack to lift the wheel/control arms up until until the tire just about tucks into the wheel well.
7. Place the key back onto the torsion bar exactly the way it came off (you may have to reinstall the crossmember first) or just pull the torsion bar back into the key hole. Make sure you reinstall the adjuater arm keys UPSIDE-DOWN. Make sure the shape of the key holes match up with the torsion bar shape before you tap them back in place.
8. If done correctly the support blocks should go back in with the keys sitting just above them.
9. Then put the torsion bar bolts back into the blocks and tighten them all the way up. MAKE SURE YOU ANGLE THE BLOCKS AND TORSION BAR BOLTS DIRECTLY TOWARDS THE KEYS, IF NOT THE BLOCKS WILL SLIP.

Once both sides are done exactly like this, you can let the front end down and see how you did. You should be able to bounce the front end down a few inches before it bottoms out.
You can now screw/unscrew the adjuster bolts for final leveling out or lowing even more. You should be able to adjust from a 5.5" to a 6.5" drop.
The ride quality suffers is a bit bouncy due to lack of suspension travel left. Also the stock shocks are too compressed to function at all. Drop shocks will help and pancake bump stops will soften bottoming out.
I have done my best to explain this whole precedure, but if you still have trouble, you can post questions here in the suspension forum. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #26

Hey everyone this is my first post im looking to lower my 2000 blazer its a 4x4 and right now I have 20s on it and they stick out about an inch, and I am afraid if I lower it they hit the fenders. In the post above it says you can adjust to move them in. Im just making sure that is actually true. Im new to all this suspension stuff. Any help will be appreciated. THanks
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #27

1. This is the 1st gen forum, you have a 2and gen.
2. No need to pull up 2 year old threads.

Welcome to the forum, and don't get what you mean by move them in you talking about the tires.

Last edited by AE86 SR5; 04-03-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #28

oh well my I have 20 x 8.5 wheels with 275/45/20 tires and they stick out past the fender abount and inch and if I lower I am afraid they will hit the fender. I dont want to have to buy new wheels with a different offset, and I dont want to lift it because I like the lowered stance. So I am looking for a way to move the wheels in an inch or so.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #29
Phoenix

Quote: Originally Posted by bhallowell
oh well my I have 20 x 8.5 wheels with 275/45/20 tires and they stick out past the fender abount and inch and if I lower I am afraid they will hit the fender. I dont want to have to buy new wheels with a different offset, and I dont want to lift it because I like the lowered stance. So I am looking for a way to move the wheels in an inch or so.
Impossible
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #30
95 S10 Single cab V6

Can't do...but you can definitely drop a 4X4... I have a 97 4WD dropped 4/5 and fully functional 4WD.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #31

You can lower anything. Just got to know the right people. I air bagged my 89 4X4 s-10 blazer. It now sits on the frame. I drive it everyday.

Last edited by spiper; 07-27-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #32

i am looking to lower my 91 4x4 not a full slam but about as low as a stock 2wd
is it possibil to do this with just adj. the torson bars or are new keys in my future?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #33
under construction

here is my 85...the torsion bars are cranked down, and there are 4" blocks in the rear..IMO it doesn't look too bad

Im still gonna lift it though

Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #34

why lower a 4x4?? Well guys its pretty simple speaking in performance aspect.. MORE TRACTION...
they had a 4x4 c10 on trucks last weekend pushing 3000hp and it was cool watching it smoke all 4 tires and it was sitting on the ground.. different but the same.. Drop it,keep 4wd and drop in a small block,2wd guys will have problems running you..
Doc
Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #35

I gota 91 jimmy 4x4

i wanna meet the person that does this and the hubs stay together!!!!!!....

I cranked my keys all the way down and got 3 inches drop doin that (had them cranked to the max prior). I only did it to make it ride softer. And as it sits now there is only maybe 3/4 of an inch (1 inch at the very most from the lower control arm and the bump stop.

3 inch blocks in the rear and i think ima need another inch in the rear to level it out(recent rear leafs from JCW gave a lil more than an inch lift) The ride in the rear didnt change at all.....but i did notice with the 3 inch block in there the driveshaft gets pull out of the T-case bout a 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch......not sure how bad it would be with another inch in there.

nice easy way to have the best of both looks and it only takes an hr or two and an .....i live in Cape Cod so in bout a month the blocks come out and the keys get cranked for the winter .....also i noticed its much better takin exits and on ramps....and didnt notice any difference in the fuel mileage
e
check the cardomain for the before pics ....heres the current pics

Last edited by cauzindrama; 10-04-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
WIP

Dropping a 4WD is pretty gay IMO.
i feel the same. you should lift it or sell it for a 2wd
Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Quote: Originally Posted by cauzindrama
I gota 91 jimmy 4x4

i wanna meet the person that does this and the hubs stay together!!!!!!....

You realize you can remove the CV shafts and not have your front end fall apart, right? Anyone with a brain would know how to disassemble the CV shaft and leave the end in.

And what's with these newbies bumping all these old threads lately?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #38
under construction

You realize you can remove the CV shafts and not have your front end fall apart, right? Anyone with a brain would know how to disassemble the CV shaft and leave the end in.

And what's with these newbies bumping all these old threads lately?

It saves bandwidth to search for post that have been answered already, and respond to them, because more then likely thats the same answer you would get from starting your own post......hence why Im a member since 2006, but have fewer then 100 posts...I use the SEARCH function, and if I cant find what Im looking for, THEN I post my question...just being kind to the board.....
Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #39

i wanna meet the person that does this and the hubs stay together

right here sir.

i lowered mine and and my axles snapped from binding so i put the put the part of the axle that meets the spindle in my vice clamp at work, hammered it till it seperated gutted the rest of the bearing and bolted it back in, took about an hour

heres the truck

just turned the torsion bolts down, not the key and pulled two rear leaves
Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #40

right you kept the outer portion of the shaft in the spindle.....so your axle snapped or the cv joint snap?....cuz i got a hummin from the drivers side inner joint or a bearing in the dif......did you have any issue like that?....if its the joint then its gotta be replaced before i crank it back up....cuz now the axle is pretty much st8 n level never mind cranked all the way up....
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #41

right you kept the outer portion of the shaft in the spindle.....so your axle snapped or the cv joint snap?....cuz i got a hummin from the drivers side inner joint or a bearing in the dif......did you have any issue like that?....if its the joint then its gotta be replaced before i crank it back up....cuz now the axle is pretty much st8 n level never mind cranked all the way up....

yes put the outer portion back in the spindle and put the axle nut back on and wah la

I was actually doin my ball joints and outer tie rod and I went to push the whole assembly to the side and the inner c.v. joint seperated in my hands,
I never even had to remove the inner portion from the front diff,

My axles were straight too and I put my truck in 4x4 a couple times and there was a loud popping from the front end when i would turn and thus i figured out what it was it seperated the joint on its own, but there wasnt enough play to fall out but there was no humming.

Its really easy and my truck turns alot easier, I guess you could say, now
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #42

Hey Man right on with doing the lowered 4wd my 4 door is lowered using all Bell tech equipment! it sits pretty good. and my 4wd is still working fine!
here is a pic of my low4by

with the 18's

With the 16's
Old 10-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #43

Ive always liked the 4 doors low......almost have a sleek look to it .....for a truck with the aerodynamics of a tank...lol)

But now a have an issue .....the humming from what i believe to be drivers side half shaft is humming suttin fierce....but goes away when i turn the truck to the right while at speeds over 20 mph.......does this sound like the half shaft......its def not the wheel bearings......its def on the drivers side.....does this make sense ????? to be the half shaft??????.... dont forget its lowered but nuttin is rubbin under it.that was my first thought.I just wanna be positive be i start tearin shyt apart....not easy havin repairs when ur friggin laid-off

Last edited by cauzindrama; 10-11-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #44

Low4by what drop did you use from belltech i'm lookin for maybe an inch lore than yours
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by Dukeboy320
i feel the same. you should lift it or sell it for a 2wd
you want a gauge cluster out of a lowered 4x4. Syclones and typhoons are both lowered 4x4s. I lowered my Jimmy with Bell Tech torsion keys and Bell Tech leaf springs. I love the look!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #46

Quote: Originally Posted by dillon_b12
I beg to differ. STILL4WD and I both have received LOTS of compliments on our trucks. Granted my truck isn't an inch off the ground like a 5/6 2wd but it's got a nice stance and still rides great (which is more than can be said about alot of super low static S-10s.)

hell yeahh i get numerous compliments on my truck which still has 4wd
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #47

I went with a 4x4 to convert to AWD because I plan to install a V8. As you all know traction is at a premium with the light rear ends in our trucks. Although my truck still has the 4.3 I have NO traction issues now. With just a little bit of rain the back end of my truck would spin hopelessly as I tried to accelerate into traffic or make a left turn at a light. Now I just hit the gas and it moves!

No, it's not slammed, nor do I want it that low. This is my daily driver and it still rides good and clears speed bumps. It handled great with just the 3/2 drop, and now handles amazing with AWD

lowed 3/3 in these pics

Old 11-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #48
half10

i had a 95 4dr that was droped...loved the look and they way it rode...i just got another 4dr (93) and its going to get droped for shore..
Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #49
woot woot

I'm trying to consider what to do to mine. I just picked up a 2000 4x4 Jimmy for a daily driver and winter driver.

I prefer lowered vehicles but still want to use the Jimmy in the winter I really don't have any need to go 4 wheelin. I think I may consider the lowering keys and blocks (maybe leafs)

are there really any wheel offset issues between the 2wd and 4wd s-series?

Last edited by CodeRed; 11-17-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #50

Quote: Originally Posted by CodeRed
I'm trying to consider what to do to mine. I just picked up a 2000 4x4 Jimmy for a daily driver and winter driver.

I prefer lowered vehicles but still want to use the Jimmy in the winter I really don't have any need to go 4 wheelin. I think I may consider the lowering keys and blocks (maybe leafs)

are there really any wheel offset issues between the 2wd and 4wd s-series?
Yes there is a big difference in the 2wd and the 4x4 wheels. Vette wheels bolt up just great on 4wd s10s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.