How to look up Service Engine Soon codes without scan tool - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to look up Service Engine Soon codes without scan tool

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > Blazer / Jimmy / Bravada
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #1

How to look up Service Engine Soon codes without scan tool

I know there is a way to get your SES light to blink out the codes that are stored in your computer, but I cant remember what you have to do. I have a 93 4X4 Blazer with the z code engine that has the service engine soon light on, and I would like to know what it is without having to pay someone to pull the code off for me. Please if you know how to get the code off yourself let me know, and also a list of what codes go with # of blinks of SES light. Thanks Dusty
Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
I am sofa king we tod did

User is: OffLine
Re: How to look up Service Engine Soon codes without scan tool

Jump terminal A to terminal B on the ALDL connector under the drivers side dash, then turn the ignition to on (not start). The SES light will flash out the codes. Also, you can jump terminal A to terminal H to read ABS system codes.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 AM   #3

Thanks I figured out how to read the SES light codes, but my ABS light is always on, so how do I read its codes? Does it flash just like the SES light will? If so what flashes mean what codes?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #4

Yep, when you jump terminal A to H the ABS light will flash out the codes. At least that's how it works with the 4 wheel ABS system.

You can also jump terminal A to F if you have electronic 4WD, and the 4 high and 4 low indicator lights will flash out transfer case control module codes.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

Anyone have a list of codes handy?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #6

You should be able to go to your local part store and they can read it for free.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #7

will this jupmer config work with my 92 W code vortec jimmy? My ABS light is on and I would like to read it myself if I can
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
real names Chris

does this work on any s series truck? i have a 03 s10 2wd 4cyl h code
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Woogi
will this jupmer config work with my 92 W code vortec jimmy? My ABS light is on and I would like to read it myself if I can
Yes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by geneticrider13
does this work on any s series truck? i have a 03 s10 2wd 4cyl h code
This connector is only on first gens..... second gens have an OBD-II connector which you need a scanner to read. Most autoparts stores have one they let you use for free that reads OBD-II.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
Captain DIY

Question Re: How to look up Service Engine Soon codes without scan tool

How do you read the "blinking?"

I bought a black market reader on Ebay, but I didn't know about jumping the OBD connector.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
Unmotivated

I'm doing this tomorrow hopefully. It will flash the codes? The SES light will blink or something?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
Wannabe Dragger

Quote: Originally Posted by nd4spd18
This connector is only on first gens..... second gens have an OBD-II connector which you need a scanner to read. Most autoparts stores have one they let you use for free that reads OBD-II.
You sure that the 94's have OBD-II? I think they may have been OBD-I still, not that it actually matters for this discussion.
Quote: Originally Posted by Freek
I'm doing this tomorrow hopefully. It will flash the codes? The SES light will blink or something?
Quote: Originally Posted by D.T.
How do you read the "blinking?"

I bought a black market reader on Ebay, but I didn't know about jumping the OBD connector.
After you jumper the two pins and turn it to the run position, the SES light will flash. Say you have a code 45, for example, the light will flash four times, then pause then flash five times. After each code it will pause for a long period of time. That help any?

Edit: Here, in case I didn't explain it well enough, here is a link with a description. Also for anyone looking for the actual codes, they are on this same link

http://www.freeautomechanic.com/diag...blecodes5.html

Last edited by ExtCab96S_Dime; 01-01-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 AM   #14

One very easy way to check and diagnose engine codes w/o reader:

Bend yourself a paper clip into a u shape, and insert into terminal A and B or the two upper right terminals on your OBD1. (Goin' MacGyver )

For code readings, check your Haynes Repair Manual if you have one handy, or go to a local parts store and take a gander at one if they'll let you.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #15
'02 Sonoma X-Cab

easier way. drive to autozone, they will test it for free and even give you a print out!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by actafool4187
easier way. drive to autozone, they will test it for free and even give you a print out!
Not for OBD 1 they dont.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 AM   #17

I am also having same problem I think nd4spd18 had provided good idea.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #18

One thing that maybe everyone knows,but in case anyone is doing this for the 1st time.When you jump the terminals and turn on the key,the light will flash 12 twice in a row to confirm that you're in diag. mode.
After that any codes that are set will flash twice in a row,gives you time to write them down.
Clearing them without a reader is also easy.Disconnect both battery cables for a min. of 30 seconds,I've also been told 60(my '92 Eldorado said to hold the 2 cable ends together,don't know if that's required for the Blazer but I do it anyway).
Hope that helps.
Signed,
Capt. Obvious
Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #19

Quote: Originally Posted by Freek
yes the SES light blinks the code 1 digit at a time(code 12 for example is 1 flash, pause, 2 flashes)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #20

Also if you want you can find a Hanes manual or something similar and the codes are in there too
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #21

anyone know if there's a sensor NEAR the oil pressure sending unit?
i have a wire connector there, but have no idea what it goes to
Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #22

man im pumped i found this cuz i used to use this trick on my 86 then i got my 95 now i have 91 and couldnt remember what port to plug them into. any one on here know alot about 4.3 mines bing a turd
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #23

so .. my thing is , my light will come on when im driving , then when i turn the truck off and back on , the light will be out and not be on again till i drive 10 miles or so .. can i test this with the truck running ?
thanks jason
Old 02-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #24

I have a similar issue my check engine light only comes on after I start the truck and it runs for about 20 seconds. I have a 1990 S10 4.3 Baja Edition
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #25
spahhkah

Quick question for you guys. I tried this technique and my truck just keeps blinking the FLASH, pause, FLASH FLASH code over and over again, wtf is this all about and why wont it tell me anything other than that? shud i try unpluggin the ecm? already did the battery trick a couple times. Getting soooooo annoyed that i cant even test it. Ive been without a truck over a month now and lost my job etc cause of it
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #26

Okay i used to do this for a living at an Autozone years ago. When you disconnect the battery you erase any stored codes that were in the computer. When you get only the 12 flash pause flash flash over and over again that means there are no current stored codes in the computers memory. You need to drive or idle the vech till the check engine light illuminates. This means during operation the computer detected a malfunction and triggers the light on. This also stores the fault code in the computer forever as long as the computer gets power from the battery.

So run the engine till the light comes on. Then use a paper clip to run the diag process and get the number that is stored in the computer.

Last edited by Murkshev; 10-17-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
tastes like burning

Ok. For anyone reading this post.... with the key off, jumper terminals a and b. Turn ignition to run, engine off, code twelve will flash 3 times. (Flash pause flash flash long pause). Then it will start flashing codes (3 times each) from lowest number to highest . After all codes have flashed, it will flash codes twelve again.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #28

The first code that will flash will be a code 12. It will be "flash, pause, flash, flash, pause, pause," and repeat the cycle three times. The ECM will flash each code three times, and move on to the next. If you have no codes stored, it will keep flashing code 12. Code 12 simply tells you the ECM is not receiving any pulses from the distributor (since the car is not running). If you pull codes with a scantool and the car is running, this code will not show up. Its no big deal, it lets you know the ECM is in the "Field Service Mode" You will also notice the cooling fans come on, this is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.