heater control valve - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

heater control valve

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > Blazer / Jimmy / Bravada
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Aquatic Goat Farmer

User is: OffLine
heater control valve

I want to know if I install a heater control valve in my jimmy (sig) will the ac work with it actuated (bypassing the heater core)?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #2

Re: heater control valve

Of course it will work and most likely get a little colder as there will be no heat from the core radiating in that area.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquatic Goat Farmer

"work with"

should have read: "work BETTER with"

don't drink before dinner I guess.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #4

eh... Same answer still fits.
One4 of the many little things I plan on doing is installing one of the vacuum controled valves since I installed a 87 Astro van swith panel in my mom's 84. The van's switches has the extra vacuum setting for one of those type valves.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Aquatic Goat Farmer

I did already install the valve. I am hoping I can rob the electronic valve from a full size that turns the hcv on and off then just use a toggle switch inside the cab. I was also considering someway to have the compressor toggle it on and off but am not sure how to do so. I figure if electric fans are wired in to go full on with the ac on then there must be a wire that can turn the control valve on and off with the ac on and off as well so I can eliminate any unnecessary user intervention.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #6

Gm had update on this and it sez you can install a heater control valve p/n 14044414 or a Murray 74800. it sez to install a t line in the max a/c vacuum line which is black with a orange stripe.then when you go to max ac the valve closes off the water flow to the heater core.now i installed the valve but teed off the vacuum ball line and just disconnect manually.it does make a difference,nice and cool.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #7

T-ed into the max ac will only work with max ac. Thats where I always have it but some can't handle that.

If you do use an electric valve that could work. If I remember right, on/off from the swicth is just making a ground for the relay. That is good because you won't overload a circuit. You can use that ground to another relay to send power to the valve. Or if the valve has a power and ground to it. Just have constant power with the ignition on to the valve and use the ground from the swicth to complete it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Aquatic Goat Farmer

I just wonder which electrical circuit is enabled when ac is on. I think though that the max ac settings is probably the best because your defroster will work better that way. I am wanting to do it this way now I just have to find said vacuum line to tap.

On my full size pickup I don't have vacuum ac controls but similar models come equipped with said electronic vacuum switch, I just lack the harness going there.

redbug, do you have any idea where the max ac vacuum line is inside the dash?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #9

The max ac closes a vent that is under the cowl panel. You may be able to look through the vents between the right wiper arm and the end of the vents. The max ac have vacuum to a black hose with orange stripe.
But when the lever is set to max ac air is not suposed to be directed to the defrost vents. Plus if you're cutting off water at max ac how do you get the heat to defrost.
If you are going to get a vacuum source from behind the dash and go through the firewall for a vacuum operated valve you can tap into a normal ac vacuum source and have it work in both ac settings.
If you go with an electric valve there is an ac relay under the hood you can tap into.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Aquatic Goat Farmer

I want the heater core bypassed in max ac mode, anything else is okay by me. I will tear into the dash today to see if I can find said vacuum line. I am probably going to have to replace my hvac vacuum lines because I'm pretty sure they have a very slow very VERY annoying hill approaching deflecting the ac to feet leak.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Aquatic Goat Farmer

So with everyones help and a jpeg of the vacuum harness schematic I got it all installed and working awesomely. ALSO I found out my orange vacuum line (that cooincidently is the one you tap into) was leaking so I completely replaced it with some napa special. It is pretty cool to press max ac then watch the fresh air door and control valve slowly close up. O also I will grab a few pics and post how it looks but I ran the vacuum through the firewall via the antenna wire. I cut out some rubber to make foom for the vacuum line then inserted a vacuum extension inside the vacuum hose for the portion that ran through the firewall plug so it would not squish down. I am pretty fond of my setup tyvm. Also the gray vacuum line that runs into the controls I will tap into for my vacuum guage install in the hopefully near future.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquatic Goat Farmer

I'll post some pics of temps soon.
Attached Thumbnails
heater control valve-smallvacuum.jpg   heater control valve-dscf5536-desktop-resolution-.jpg   heater control valve-dscf5539-desktop-resolution-.jpg   heater control valve-dscf5542-desktop-resolution-.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #13

nice job and whats the part number of that valve and where did you purchase it? thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #14

Ya know that orange line you tapped into is right under the cowl also. Just pull off the wiper arms and the cowl panel and there is the vacuum motor and door that blocks the fresh air right inside the open near the AC box.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Aquatic Goat Farmer

I just went to napa and ordered a heater control valve for a 1996 tahoe 4x4 from napa. That is my SO's car and that is the one I used. Later on I found out that most cars with hcv's are identical to this one even fords.

That may be where the orange line travels but mine was leaking so I just reran the whole thing anyways. ALSO if I were to do this on a friends blazer I would tap into his vacuum line right before it hits the recirc control under the panel on the pass side that only takes 4 screws to get to.

Furthermore I rtv'd the hole in my firewall so it looks much worse now than in the pictures.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Aquatic Goat Farmer

Don't use the nuclear colored vacuum line like I posted in the pics. It looks cool but melted in the heat after driving for a few hours. I had to replace it with normal vac line after the firewall. The stupid green stuff I ran behind the dash now has a slow leak too so yay.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by uhlhazard
Don't use the nuclear colored vacuum line like I posted in the pics. It looks cool but melted in the heat after driving for a few hours. I had to replace it with normal vac line after the firewall. The stupid green stuff I ran behind the dash now has a slow leak too so yay.
Ohhh, I thought that was your neon lighting for under the dash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.