Suicide Hood Hinge How-To!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Suicide Hood Hinge How-To!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > S-Series How-To > Exterior How-To
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
Suicide Hood Guru

User is: OffLine
Suicide Hood Hinge How-To!!

http://home.comcast.net/~nitedragon/...1/site1019.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~nitedragon/...1/site1019.jpg

Posted this on another board... thought yall might want it as well...

NOTE: If you have a 4.3 you might need to relocate your washer resevoir and ABS control box

Ok everyones been askin me bout my hood hinge setup and I finally broke out the cam and got some more pics of it...

First off ya need to make a trip to one of your local juck yards and get the hood hinge assembly from a Buick Skylark, not sure the year range, I know '84 Skylarks have the hinge. Anyway, they aren't hard to find, most junk yards have the hoods open on all the cars anyways. While your there, pick up an extra set of hood snubbers.

After you get the hinges home, first thing ya need to do is measure the distance between the fenders. Also measure the width of the new hinge assembly. The new hinge assembly should be about 2 inches wider than your fenders. You'll need to cut a section out of the support bar for the hinge assembly and put a sleeve over the rod which keeps the hood from twisting when you open or close it.

I used a piece of PVC for the time being...

Set your hinge assembly on the water runoff lip of the fender and mark where your gonna mount your hinge. After you get your holes marked and drilled, mount the hinge from the bottom of the lip and attach with bolts.

After both sides are installed. Fold the hinges down into the closed position. Remove the inner fender wells, and jack the truck up to have access to the bottom of the hood. You can remove the fromt wheels if you want to give you more room.

Close the hood (thats still attached to the stock hinges). From the fender wells, position the new hinges so they are in contact with the bottom side of the hood. Mark your holes on the hood with a marker.

Raise the hood and drill your holes. I also drilled a larger hole to the rear of the mount holes and used clip nuts. After your holes are mounted and clip nuts installed, Remove the (4)bolts that mount the hood to the stock hinge and remove the hood.

-==-

Set the hood back down and latch it in its original position. This will make adjusting the hood easier. From the fenderwells, bolt the new hinge to the clip nuts.

Now release the hood latch and pop the hood open, pull forward and fold the hood down in front of the grill to make sure everything operates properly.

Next remove the cowl and remove the stock hinges. Mount the stock hinges back onto the hood. Then close the hood till the stock hinge hits the upper part of the stock hihome.comcast.nethome.attbi.com/~nitedragon/wsb/media/182261/site1020.jpg[/img]

-==-

Once you have proper clearance, you can either weld the hammered down hinge mount to the body or mount it with screws. Once the cowl is reinstalled none of it is visible, so you don't need to make it pretty.

After you finish securing the hinge mount, reinstall the cowl. Now you can mount you extra set of hood snubbers to keep the rear of the hood level with the body and keep it from bouncing going down the road.

Thats it, now your hood flips open to the front. A very easy and inexpensive mod. Here's a few more pics of the finished product...

I know the hood looks bad now... I have to remold the L-82 scoop.

Last edited by SlammedDime; 12-04-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Suicide Hood Guru

Set the hood back down and latch it in its original position. This will make adjusting the hood easier. From the fenderwells, bolt the new hinge to the clip nuts.

Now release the hood latch and pop the hood open, pull forward and fold the hood down in front of the grill to make sure everything operates properly.

Next remove the cowl and remove the stock hinges. Mount the stock hinges back onto the hood. Then close the hood till the stock hinge hits the upper part of the stock hinge mount.

Open the hood and remove the stock hinge. Cut the hinge at the mark and reinstall hinge to the hood.

Now cut the lip off the upper hinge mount and hammer the mount flush. This will allow the cut hinge to lock in place when closed. You might need to make a few adjustments to allow proper clearance.

Old 04-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
Suicide Hood Guru

Once you have proper clearance, you can either weld the hammered down hinge mount to the body or mount it with screws. Once the cowl is reinstalled none of it is visible, so you don't need to make it pretty.

After you finish securing the hinge mount, reinstall the cowl. Now you can mount your extra set of hood snubbers to keep the rear of the hood level with the body and keep it from bouncing going down the road.

Thats it, should only take about 30mins to an hour to complete. and now your hood flips open to the front. A very easy and inexpensive mod. Here's a few more pics of the finished product...

I know the hood looks bad now... I have to remold the L-82 scoop.

Last edited by Nite Dragon; 04-28-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
bitch

kickass, will this work on 2ng gen?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
Suicide Hood Guru

It should... dont see why it wouldn't work on any vehicle, as long as there is the inner lip to mount the hinge to...
Old 04-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Nite Dragon
It should... dont see why it wouldn't work on any vehicle, as long as there is the inner lip to mount the hinge to...
hmmmm, any way to get around taking the inner fenders out?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:46 AM   #7

Why am I wasting my time surfing the web lookin for answers when it all comes together here? Thanks for the info Night Dragon. Can't wait to see her when she's painted et al..
Old 04-29-2003, 08:01 AM   #8
Suicide Hood Guru

LaynLo17... if you can figure out where the upper hinge mount will mount to the hood, you dont have to remove the inner fender wells. however, it will make adjusting everything much harder... will mounting it from the bottom, will put the hinges where they need to be with little adjusting if any...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.