S-10 Forum banner

ZR2 front bumper skin question

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  24digger 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Sonoma ZR2. A previous owner had changed the front bumper to a normal Sonoma or Jimmy bumper without the front fender tips. My question is whether the front bumper skin is the same for the ZR2, or is it different like the fenders are for accommodating the fender flares? I guess it won't matter as ZR2's are rare around here and to actually find a ZR2 in a scrap yard is about the same as finding a solid gold steering wheel.... But I am curious.

TIA >:)

#3 ·
Didn't the GMC Sonoma have a urethane bumper cover over an impact bar? As opposed to Chevy having an actual bumper. Did the PO switch yours to a Bumper or did he install an after market cover?
If he put on a Chevy bumper, does it have the rubber strip all the way across? If so I don't think you can make the flarettes fit even if you find a pair.
On the other hand if it is the smooth bumper, when you get the flarettes just drill the corresponding holes. 2 on each side. Be real picky if you find a set of flarettes, most are either cracked, have the studs rotted off or both. Except maybe in Arizona.
When they were still available new they were over $100 each.

#4 ·
I've done it already. The PO put on a Sonoma or Jimmy front bumper (plastic skin over the steel bumper) but not from a ZR2. I drilled the holes and shaved the flarettes from an S10 to fit the bumper shape and shot it all with bed liner to match the rest of the truck. It is not a perfect fit but it looks far better than it did. Oh, and you are right - three of the four mounting studs were broken off so I drilled out the pop rivets that hold the brackets and punched out the original studs and Mig welded some 5mm bolts in then pop riveted the brackets back in place. You do what you gotta do.... the ones for the Sonoma were actually $200 apiece for some reason. This is not a mall mudder so it looks fine to me.

#5 ·
I was looking at some pictures, trying to figure out why you have that gap... It looks like the S10 fender flares are longer the Sonoma ones.

The only reason I can think of why they made them differently is to have the flarette/flare meetup point be at the bottom of the headlamp, for a cleaner look.

#6 ·
Yep, from what I can tell the S10 fender flares did indeed come down lower. I have no clue why GM would stop the flare 2 inches above the bottom edge of the fender but they did. The gap ends up only being about an inch, but it should only be about a quarter of an inch. Considering that auto manufacturers always make things as close as possible between GMC, Chevy, Pontiac and Buick (as an example), it is very surprising that they would do the fender flares this much differently.

#7 ·
And if you order new flares- even specifically for a GMC, you will receive the longer chevy flares. Nobody reproduces the GMC version including GM.

The flarettes are a pain too, LMC or dealer are the only places to get them and they are not cheap.

I decided to get rid of all the zr2 bumper stuff and built a metal bumper that extends as far as the flares- my buddy with the white ZR2 just removed it.

#9 ·
And if you order new flares- even specifically for a GMC, you will receive the longer chevy flares. Nobody reproduces the GMC version including GM.

The flarettes are a pain too, LMC or dealer are the only places to get them and they are not cheap.

I decided to get rid of all the zr2 bumper stuff and built a metal bumper that extends as far as the flares- my buddy with the white ZR2 just removed it.
I have been seriously thinking of fabricating a real front bumper as well but need to source a decent scrapyard. My old go-to yard closed up and now there is a used car lot there (???) To buy new steel around here would cost as much as my truck. I do have access to both mig and arc welding (and have experience in welding) so fabrication would not be an issue.... would have to do a back bumper as well - the stock ones are very pretty but not that solid. >:)

#11 ·
I wander if you could make the s10 flarets work? rock auto has them for about $35

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.