ZR2 3.73 Rear End Gear Question???? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ZR2 3.73 Rear End Gear Question????

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > ZR2 - BlaZeR2 - Highrider
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
JBLAZR2

User is: OffLine
ZR2 3.73 Rear End Gear Question????

Im new to this site, so im not sure if this question was previously posted by someone else...

I have a 2003 ZR2 Blazer with a 3.73 rear end gear,
and was curious if anyone had installed a posi traction style rear end gear setup??

I know that companies like Richmond and others make them for certain applications. I am having trouble finding out what rear gear I have.

I know its 3.73 and think that its 8.5" but am not sure who makes one for this..and what to buy. Someone else posted something about it being 8.5" GovLock..But I am not familiar with that either...any help appreciated..
Old 06-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
JBLAZR2

Re: ZR2 3.73 Rear End Gear Question????

a freind suggested EATON..but they have several

im looking at www.summitracing.com under Eaton 8.5 as search term....
Old 06-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #3

If you have RPO code G80 it's already Posi - I would think it would already have to be if it's a 4x4 but I could be wrong. On the flip side I have NO idea what size axle the Blazers are... being in a ZR2 spot I know the ZR2's are 8.5 inches... but sadly I can't tell you what Blazers are.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
JBLAZR2

how do i know if i have code g80 is it labled or written anywhere? i havent beat on it yet, waiting for mods, so it could have some type of posi limited slip i suppose..i felt one tire pull hard last time i punched it...
Old 06-15-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
ZR2 member

G80 is'nt positive traction,its limited slip.Look at the RPO label in your glove box.

Come on over and join up at www.zr2usa.com
Old 06-23-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Pretty sure all Zr2s had the LSD. Could be wrong though.

If you have a gov-loc it should say g80 on the sticker inside the glove compartment (in with all the other codes). Right next to gt4 (the code for a 3.73 rear).
Old 06-23-2006, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by j894
Pretty sure all Zr2s had the LSD. Could be wrong though.

If you have a gov-loc it should say g80 on the sticker inside the glove compartment (in with all the other codes). Right next to gt4 (the code for a 3.73 rear).
I've seen non-G80 ZR2 rears go across Ebay, so either they all didn't have gov-loc or somebody have blown it and replaced it or the seller didn't know what he was selling. A lot of guy test for posi by spinning the one wheel and seeing which direction the other one spins, with the car off the ground. This does not always work, with all types of carriers. One of my buddies got a true trac for next to nothing, because the guy that was selling it thought it was broken.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #8

Early ZR2's did not come standard with the G80 Gov-lock. Sometime around 97 or 98 this changed, and from then on all trucks were so equipped stock. As someone mentioned above, check the sticker in your glove box... you'll see G80 as one of the many codes listed. The G80 does not kick in until one tire is spinning quite a bit faster than the other (I've heard 100 rpms, but I'm not sure on that), so its quite possible to feel one side pulling hard off the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.