Frame Swap?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Frame Swap??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > ZR2 - BlaZeR2 - Highrider
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Grease Monkey

Frame Swap??

I recently wrecked my 98 zr2 and was going to part it out but I really love my zr2 and would like to keep it. I hit a telephone pole going 35 it bent the right front of the frame. needless to say the right wheel does whatever it wants while the left one steers. I was wondering if I can just swap everything over to a regular 4x4 frame or it has to be a z frame. I know the A arms on a Z are bigger than regular s10s or so I've been told, that's why I figured I'd ask around before just buying the first 4x4 frame I found and it not fitting right. Ill post pics of the damage to the frame and to the truck all together. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Grease Monkey

Re: Frame Swap??

Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Grease Monkey

The passenger side A arm

Driver side Behind A arm (for comparison)

Passenger side behind A Arm after wreck

After dad decided to move pick up the front end with a chain attacked to the loader of the tractor. I think its bent more but I'm crazy when it comes to this truck

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Tech Mod

User is: OffLine

Man that sucks. I honestly expected the outside of the truck to have more damage than that.

Anyways. If you can find a zr2 frame that would be ideal. You could also see if a frame shop could fix it.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Grease Monkey

Yeah it sucked, I wasn't drunk or texting i just looked back at my frat house because we where about to pull a prank an looked forward an grabbed the wheel an turned it as hard as i could but was to late.

I was thinking whatever frame i can across first but I will prolly just try and wait till I find a z frame. if I get a new frame all together im thinkin a v8 swap while I'm at it.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

in response to the frame swap, the z frame is what makes a zr2 a zr2. the upper and lower a arms are the same as standard s10's.

but im sorry to hear about you wrecking the truck. hope your ok.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

The ZR2 frame is unique. I'd suggest seeing if a shop can repair your frame. If they can, it may be cheaper than hunting down another Z frame and swapping everything over.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Wow truck looks great I too expected to see it with more damage. Like bean said why not try and get the frame straighten, fixed. Did you have ins or are you going to deal with it by yourself. going to have to see what the difference is between a z and a non z. More pics of the actuall damage.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Grease Monkey

Yeah i got pretty lucky. I didn't have a scratch on me. I think the reason it don't look that bad is because it hit the bumper an slide into the tire. It didn't damage it a lot cosmeticly just messed up the fender an busted a headlight an took off the mirror. Ill upload more pics when I get home I can't do it off my phone or I would. I am just trying to get my z back on the road mainly but I don't want to get the frame fixed an spend the rest of the time that I own it which will be forever replacing baljoints an tires more than I normally would. I know with a z its already going to be burning through them more than a full-size. I appreciate all the help from y'all
Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Tech Mod

Make sure you grease the joint often. if you do there should be no reason to go through a lot of suspension parts.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by beandip
Make sure you grease the joint often. if you do there should be no reason to go through a lot of suspension parts.
I'd agree. As long as it's not mangled, a good frame guy should be able to make it as good as it was before.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Grease Monkey

Okay. My dad works at a Ford factory that produces frames an he normally has to fix all the screw ups but it'd be awhile before he will look at it cause we just moved an don't have a shop to work in but we will prolly try to fix. I just wasn't sure if it'd be better to mess with it or leave it an get a new frame. So as soon as I get some money we will see what we can do. Might not make a difference but I'm just curious if I did a v8 swap would it be an issue with the frame being previously bent?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #13

there was a zr2 pickup in a yard near 16870.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
goin broke but n style

a V8 bolt up like your 4.3 does.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Grease Monkey

The damage. got the bumper off tried getting the fender off but all the bolts are rusted and the brackets that there bolted to broke off where they are welded to and I couldn't cut them off out in the field so itll have to wait for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Swap??-img269.jpg   Frame Swap??-img270.jpg   Frame Swap??-img271.jpg   Frame Swap??-img272.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
Grease Monkey

Alright so I came up with something else. My main plan was to get the z rolling again but I plan on lifting it later on and prolly just making it a muddin toy or raock crawler. I was reading around and am still looking but haven't found much on it yet. I would like to just swap the z body onto a fullsize frame like a c10 or a bronco I'm trying to figure out which would be better with this truck its and ext cab an all and am curious on how it would fit on the frames like if i need a short bed c10 or what if yall know of a thread that would help point me in the right direction id appreciated.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
Professional Insultant

ZR2 on a full-size frame would involve some of your own fabrication, and honestly I'd say the ZR2 frame is better, even the Z71 didn't get any special frame treatment over the standard 4x4. The ZR2 frame is a purpose built off-road rigid frame.

Your frame damage isn't 'bad' that frame can be put on a frame pulling machine and straightened out. I don't see any reason for increased wear on suspension parts after the frame is pulled While this is being done whoever is operating the machine will check the truck's geometry and pull the frame until the frame, steering, and suspension is with in specification.

Straightening the frame will also be the least expensive route.

Hope you get it fixed!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Tech Mod

not to mention if you solid front axle swap it, it wont be as big of a factor.

i would get it fixed, then plate over the damaged area... that truck is hardly damaged on the outside. keep the frame, and fix it!! also can you post a pic from above the frame to see how far back its bent?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #19

What they said^^^. The ZR2 is GM's purpose built offroad frame. Going to a full size is just going to add a bunch of weight you don't need and cost a good bit more than fixing what you have.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
goin broke but n style

i had a buddy put a ext cab sport side s10 cab/interior on a modified k5 blazer frame. he was running 36". truck looked stock, with the exception of the tires were outside the body. he also has been doing body work for 20 yrs, so it was natural for him to modify the k5 frame as needed to make it work.

anything is possible with modification, money and time.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
Grease Monkey

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow when I crawled under the truck to take a fender bolt off i noticed it has another crease a little further down the frame.

I am still not sure what I'm going to do I found a few forums about people putting them on swb chevys. I can think up of all kinds of crazy ideas when it comes to vehicles. I want to keep this truck for a long time but I cant haul cattle trailers with it just lawn mower trailers. Imo if I'm going to fix I want to be able to use it like a truck not a mini truck. I found out the dimensions for my z which are wheel base - 122.9 bumper to bumper bout 210 a long bed 80s Chevy has a wb of 131.5 and overall 212. I know this is crazy but I already found a frame for 800 its a 78 3/4 4x4 with a 350 an its auto....That takes care of the v8 conversion and a sas. I was thinking I could sell the z's shortbed for an s10 long bed an it should put the wheel wells under the tires.. I could also rock the 350 for a while then save up an slap in a dirtymax. But this is just thought.

I have no idea what the cost of getting the z's frame fixed would cost. But I know to put the z on this frame its gonna cost me some time and money. But I'm definitely ready for the challenge.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #22
Professional Insultant

I've seen s-series put on full size frames- it's an option to convert an s10 to solid front axle and V8, it'd require using the majority of parts designed for that era of full-size for the drivetrain. I don't think you'll find a manual to do all the work, so it's hard to tell what would be involved to get a ZR2 roadworthy on an older frame and drivetrain.

It's also an option to repair the current frame, it'd be roadworthy pretty quick. Then since you want solid front axle and V8 synergy sells 'starter' kits to convert these trucks to solid front axle, and putting a 5.3L vortec V8 has been done enough times you can search these boards and see all the steps you'd have to go through- and you can buy a wire harness to fit ZR2 dash electronics to a 5.3L engine from the same year as the ZR2.

When you swap in a solid front axle you have to cut the frame just about where your slight buckle is for axle clearance, like beandip said it wont matter much it was damaged. It may need a brace in the area if you decide to fix the frame and not convert to solid front axle.

I'd estimate 300-400 dollars for an auto body facility to put your truck on a frame machine, but it varies by area and facility and how much time is required to straighten it. I'm only guessing from the little bit of estimator work I did in highschool autobody.

I personally would go for keeping the ZR2 frame since they are better built frames than the full-size, but whatever direction you decide to take these forums will be here to help out.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
Grease Monkey

I took a few pics today an got the fender off. Some are from underneath the truck. When I got in it and started it up my speedo went to 100 for some reason?? theres also a pic of my muffler idk what happened to it lol It just got really loud one day when I was driving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Swap??-img273.jpg   Frame Swap??-img274.jpg   Frame Swap??-img275.jpg   Frame Swap??-img276.jpg   Frame Swap??-img278.jpg  

Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Grease Monkey

and the rest
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Swap??-img279.jpg   Frame Swap??-img280.jpg   Frame Swap??-img283.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #25
Professional Insultant

Speedo still acting funny?

---

There was a guy in our auto tech class that twisted the frame on his jeep commanche he just had a few guys grab a hold of one side of the truck and put jack stands under the frame and then we jumped on it until all 4 wheels sat on the ground evenly.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Grease Monkey

yeah speedo's still on the fritz.

A guy on here has a z frame for sale for 350 so as soon as I can get some cash I'll buy it and get the z back on the road.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #27
Tech Mod

you can remove the gauge cluster, and flip it upside down, the speedo should return to normal, or drive 80 MPH and the speedo might pick back up....

but good thing finding a frame for it. make sure its a true zr2 frame. for 350 it seems a bit high in price, but idk what a bare frame would usually go for....hey you need it right?

oh and that frame is bent a whole lot more than what your previous pics made it out to be. on the new zr2 frame look for the infamous frame crack on the lower control arm mounts.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #28
Grease Monkey

Quote: Originally Posted by beandip
you can remove the gauge cluster, and flip it upside down, the speedo should return to normal, or drive 80 MPH and the speedo might pick back up....

but good thing finding a frame for it. make sure its a true zr2 frame. for 350 it seems a bit high in price, but idk what a bare frame would usually go for....hey you need it right?

oh and that frame is bent a whole lot more than what your previous pics made it out to be. on the new zr2 frame look for the infamous frame crack on the lower control arm mounts.
haha Alright. I'll try it but I think it's the gauge cluster going bad because when I shift from park to drive it don't show what I'm actually in. My brother has a 2005 2500hd an his gauge wouldn't move from 100 either but every now and then it'll pick up but on the same note his tach went crazy and said we where idling at 7000rpm. lol

It's in florida and I don't have the money for it yet I had to buy another truck when I decided to take the z dancin with a telephone pole. So now i have a 96 s10 2wd its green and ugly aka the turd and i'm on winter break for college so as soon as i get money i'll be trading the turd for a truck that can pull a trailer then drive down to florida an pick it up the guy sent me a link for facebook that is a page for s10/zr2 parts. I'm sure you all know more about the frames than I do so maybe ya'll can take a look at it tell me what you think. I think its just the frame from the z

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZR2-an...8734951?ref=hl
Old 12-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #29

Thanks for the facebook link. That's pretty cool.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
Professional Insultant

Sounds like that facebook is S10warehouse, a 'store' on ebay that only deals with s-series salvage. Anyone know for sure if it is the same thing? Both are in florida.

Every so often I will see them selling an entire ZR2 chassis sometimes including the engine/transmission etc.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #31
Grease Monkey

I found a red version of my z in ohio with a bad tranny in it so after christmas i plan to go pick it up take the body of it an put mine on that one since the red one isn't much but rust. take the best from both of them then i'll get my old frame fixed and sell that z along with my 2wd s10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.