2003 Chevy S-10 zr2 4x4 problems - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2003 Chevy S-10 zr2 4x4 problems

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > ZR2 - BlaZeR2 - Highrider
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #1

2003 Chevy S-10 zr2 4x4 problems

I am a new member here hoping to find some help on the 4wd on my zr2. I've had this truck about 4 months and when I first got it it was making a whining/grinding noise but more of a whining noise from the front end but it only did it every once in a great while and all you had to do to get it to quit was stop at a stop sign or hit the 4wd button and shut it back off and the noise would go away. Somedays it would do it somedays it wouldn't do it all, but then it got worse and it wouldn't make the noise unless you had it in 4wd full time it wouldn't make the noise, then it got to making a banging felt like you were hitting a bump kinda noise in the front end when it was in 4wd but it only would do it when u were accelerating from a stop up to about 40 mph then it would stop going down the highway till you stopped and sped up again. I took it to a shop and he just put a new actuator in it yesterday and that didn't fix it. I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas what was causing this so maybe I could tell the mechanic so he would have a little more of an idea what to look for. I really hope someone can help me on this. Thank you very much.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
freakonomics

User is: OffLine
Re: 2003 Chevy S-10 zr2 4x4 problems

could be the cv's there constally spinning so one might be bad
Old 12-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #3

yes it could be that I suppose.........I also kinda thought about the encoder motor maybe bad or something.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

mechanic still hasn't figured it out yet still today. he thought the actuator would fix it and he says it's not the cvs or hub or anything and the transfer case is kicking in and out so he had to keep looking. rrrrrrr i'm gettin tired of not havin my truck haha.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by illinoisman01
mechanic still hasn't figured it out yet still today. he thought the actuator would fix it and he says it's not the cvs or hub or anything and the transfer case is kicking in and out so he had to keep looking. rrrrrrr i'm gettin tired of not havin my truck haha.
stay in there big man all things can be fixed.... for a price
Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #6

finally got my truck back.........wat was wrong with it was the vacuum switch on the transfer case and the actuator went bad and wasn't allowing it to lock in and out all the way causing the gears in the differential to grind away he checked the oil in the differential and it was silver with grinded up metal.

so it was a new vacuum switch, actuator, and differential and now it is fixed finally.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #7

well after a $980 bill for a differential new actuator and new vacuum switch on transfer case it was still doing it again after I got it back so I had him put on the 4x4 posi-lok cable and it got rid of all that nasty grinding noise but it still makes a howling whining noise in the front end not very loud though but it quits just as soon as you hit the 4hi button but you put it back in 2wd and it starts makin the noise again. I really thought getting rid of all the vacuum stuff that the 4x4 posi-lok cable would surely fix it but it didn't. So therefore over $1,0000 and still not fixed I'm just about ready to take it to the junkyard I'm so frustrated with it. Does anyone have any idea what the hell it could be now. The 4wd works when it's in 4wd you can hear the transfer case kicking in and out when you hit the 4hi and 2hi button. Also I might add when it's in 4wd and you are going down the road and you let off the gas and just let it coast you can hear a howling-grinding noise just while it's coasting and slowing down but just as soon as you hit the gas and start speeding back up it goes away again. I don't know anything about the posi-lok cable really besides how to use it haha is it possible that the differential cable could be bound up or something like that. I'm lost and I'm tired of it frankly.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #8

i have a lock-cable and all the same.
i had the same problem with the grindings, but that was when i had 35's.
i went to 33's for most offroad, and now i have 31's for highway use.

sounds to me like its the CV's your hearing.
if not that then i'de say its improper ingagement from your lok-cable could have been the cause.

and if thats not it your on your own man.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #9

User is: OffLine

Its hard to tell. Is there any way you could video tape the problem and post it? Some other guy did that for a noise he was having and it made it so easy for myself and other expierenced members to diagnose the problem.

Heres a link to his thread:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/w...cluded-338450/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.