2000 zr2 np 233 transfer case capacity - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 zr2 np 233 transfer case capacity

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > ZR2 - BlaZeR2 - Highrider
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

2000 zr2 np 233 transfer case capacity

I need to know what the capacity for the np 233 transfercase is. most gm dealers tell me 2.3 qts the only issue is I drained it and it will only hold about
a quart before it comes out the fill hole.I just want to know how much it should take

thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
LS3 - T56 coming SOON !

User is: OffLine
Re: 2000 zr2 np 233 transfer case capacity

well you can only fill it till it comes out drain hole sooooo..there you are
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Game Pop. Control Agent

User is: OffLine

Check the Haynes or Chilton. If you can only get a quart in, then you may have it air locked. My boat outboard does the same thing on the lower unit if I fill it too fast. try using one of those cheap pump attachments that fits on a quart of oil. Slowly pump it in and see if you cant get it all in.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

man your a real genius s10dude ! I said I filled it to the fill hole not the drain hole. when the gm shop tells you it take twice the oil you can put in it should make you ask a few questions don't you think? mabe it has two chambers?
or something else I'm over looking but hay I got your great insight huh.
just happens I found that it is in pints so anyone looking for a straight answer a np 233 transfercase takes 2.3 pints of auto track-2 oil not quarts

thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #5

I hope you did not put auto track fluid in? Thats only for the 236!

You just need plain ol ATF
Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #6

It takes 1.25 QUARTS. In some places, the genuine service manual from GM incorrectly states the amount required for the 236 transfer case (which takes the new type fluid and 2.3 quarts). Since the 233 drain plug is not at the 'very bottom' of the case, you may not be able to get 1.25 quarts back in after draining.

The 233 takes Dexron III. And DO NOT put in Dexron VI as I did, thinking I was doing the case a 'favor'. Apparently, the DEX VI is too thin (too low a viscosity).

Since GM no longer licenses DEX III, GM has stated not to use any aftermarket fluid 'recommended' as DEX III use. Actually GM has simply relabeled its own DEX III as "manual transmission and tranfer case fluid". I do not have the part number handy, but you should not need it at a dealer parts shop. I really wonder who is making the GM 'official' fluid, since obviously GM does not. This is a mineral base fluid, not a synthetic.

My dealer is pushing BG Synchro Shift II for the 233 transfer case. This fluid is full synthetic. It is rated as 75W-90 gear oil API GL-4, and also as meeting GM Synchromesh spec 9985648 P/N 12345349. Unfortunately it costs $20 a quart, and you will need two.

What other fluids are people using in the New Venture 233 transfer case?

Last edited by denis; 02-12-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.