XP Won't boot - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

XP Won't boot

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Geek Squad Central
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Zr2USA = B_Rich

User is: OffLine
XP Won't boot

When I came home from school yesterday, I obviously brought my laptop with me. When I turned it off at school, there was an option by the "turn off" button that said "turn off without installing updates" or you could just press the red button and it would turn off the updates.

I pressed the red button, so the updates were installed. The computer is now off and I'm on my way home.

I was still moving stuff into my truck so I just let it shut down, assuming that all went well. When I got home and tried to start up the computer, it wouldn't start. I mean, it would start, but XP wouldn't boot.

Here is a really short video of what it does.

What I've tried: Going into the boot menu (F12 as it boots up) and selecting the Internal HD. I've tried going into Setup (F2 as it starts) and changing some things around with the boot order (I've since changed everything back). I put in the reinstallation CD from my desktop just to see if it would do anything, and it did start up (the XP versions are different though, so I'm told from a friend who knows his stuff) so I didn't install it.

When the computer boots up, the CD drive makes a "tsk tsk" as if it were checking something. Weather it did that before all of this, I'm not sure, I never really noticed it.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
peace and big boobs to u

Re: XP Won't boot

well if you changed your boot order (f2) then cd tsk tsk makes sense have you tried f8? and booting into safe mode?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Zr2USA = B_Rich

Right when I boot up the laptop I'll press F8 repeatedly but it doesn't work. The Dell screen will come up (all while I'm pressing F8) then it goes to the black screen with the cursor in the corner (still pressing F8) then after I hit F8 like 5 more times the computer starts beeping at me whenever I press a key on the keyboard.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Zr2USA = B_Rich

Quote: Originally Posted by phantom_mia
well if you changed your boot order (f2) then cd tsk tsk makes sense have you tried f8? and booting into safe mode?
I just went into setup (F2) and pressed alt + F and defaulted everything, just in case there was something that I changed that would prevent me from booting up properly.

Still no luck though.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #5

I think XP is hosed. Right before the Dell logo goes away, start pressing F8 repeatedly. See if that gets you to the option to boot to safe mode. If it does, try and boot to safe mode. That'll at least get us somewhere. If you can't even get into safe mode, then you're looking at reinstalling XP.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Banned

probably going to need a fresh install, or check to see if you have a restore option. . .most factory built computers have a partition set up for a restore and an option to do that at boot up
Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Captain Obvious

If you have an actual XP install disk laying around you might want to give the setup a chance to try and repair the installation before you nuke it.

Ala boot from the XP cd, go into setup, select your partition/current XP installation, and it should ask you flat out if you want to try and repair it.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #8

Sounds like a dead hard drive to me. If it won't boot off the CD then it's the hard drive for sure. Might have a spare one around here if you need it, just need to know if its sata or ide. Prolly IDE but I would need to know for sure. Just pop the hard drive cover off and pull the drive.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Captain Obvious

Quote: Originally Posted by szester
Sounds like a dead hard drive to me. If it won't boot off the CD then it's the hard drive for sure. Might have a spare one around here if you need it, just need to know if its sata or ide. Prolly IDE but I would need to know for sure. Just pop the hard drive cover off and pull the drive.
Bad HDD is a possibility but I wouldn't go that far just yet.

I would think if it was an actual HDD failure it'd just give him the ol' disk boot failure message; seems to me it's trying to access the boot information and the updates might've gibbed that portion of the install.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Zr2USA = B_Rich

Quote: Originally Posted by szester

You're the 3rd person to tell me that haha.

*sigh*

Well I appreciate the replies everyone, but here is the story....

I brought the computer into Best Buy (keep your pants on....) and talked to Geek Squad about everything. I made sure that there wasn't gonna be a charge for them to look at my computer, which there wasn't. Before I went to best buy, I talked to a couple friends of mine that knew a thing or two about computers and they said it could be a bad hard drive. I REALLY didn't want to hear that, but it kind of made sense. When I got to best buy, they ran some type of geek squad software and it claimed that my hard drive was bad. ****. So they plug the hard drive into this machine thing to see if they can retrieve the data off of it. 30 minutes later I come back and they say they can get the data off of the hard drive, but they wanted $100 to do it, $150 if you didn't have your own external hard drive! Well I've come to find out with computers, is that there is virtually always a way around things.

I didn't think there was a way around this one though.

So.

I bought the hard drive (the bad one) 2 months ago, and they did kindly give me a new hard drive (I actually ended up paying $20 more for a 320, instead of getting the same 250 again) which I thought was cool since it was past the 30 days or whatever for returns. Kudos to Best Buy for that one.

So now I have a blank 320gig hard drive, but ISU gives out Windows 7 to their engineering students for free, so in the end, I kind of ended up making an upgrade, with the only loss being that I lost all of my stuff. There wasn't a whole lot to be lost anyway, but I guess it still kinda sucks.

I do appreciate everyone's advice though, so thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #11

You got ****ed. I assume you don't have the drive anymore right?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

you can get the data off that drive still like asked above do you still have it?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #13

Well at least you got it going..

Last edited by bg's; 10-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
peace and big boobs to u

why couldn't they copy your stuff off the old drive and put it on the new one? must have been to complicated for the geeks
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Captain Obvious

Quote: Originally Posted by SgtM
You got ****ed.
QFT - If THEY can retrieve the data I really doubt that drive is actually "bad".

You better still have that drive.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Captain Obvious

Quote: Originally Posted by phantom_mia
why couldn't they copy your stuff off the old drive and put it on the new one? must have been to complicated for the geeks
Yeah, for 100-150 bucks I think is what he's getting at.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
Zr2USA = B_Rich

You got ****ed. I assume you don't have the drive anymore right?
No I don't. I gave it back to them. I now look at this as a potential mistake, because all of my forum and facebook passwords are saved on there....

Quote: Originally Posted by Imperial
Yeah, for 100-150 bucks I think is what he's getting at.
Exactly. It wasn't worth $50 to me to get the info off of that hard drive. I've started over multiple times on this pos desktop that I've got, so I'm kind of used to it. Plus I feel like a complete computer nerd when I have like 367 things downloading and installing at once, all while surfing the forums, facebook, email and aim lol.

If all goes well I'll have Windows 7 installed by tonight.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #18

Ah well..When all else fails.

Recovery help
Old 10-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #19

I think they just wanted to sell you the new drive. If the old drive was spinning and they could read from it, it was still good. They may have found bad sectors, but unless that drive was clicking (and you would know if it was); it was still good. I effing hate geek squad!
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
It's our year!

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/geek-squad-central/ for next time you run into a similar problem.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #21

I think they just wanted to sell you the new drive. If the old drive was spinning and they could read from it, it was still good. They may have found bad sectors, but unless that drive was clicking (and you would know if it was); it was still good. I effing hate geek squad!

i agree, i've ran into some pretty shitty hard drives in my time, and really only had a hand full that i wasnt able to recover.100-150 for data recovery is a rip off i only charge around 20 depending on the type of media it goes on. i think that if you would have tried to reinstall install windows or repair windows it would have been fine.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #22

Perhaps the cost for this product has gone up, so those at Geek
had to move the cost onto the customer, though that seems
a bit rude...I mean after all, it should hurt as lil as possible.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #23
Bovine on NOS!!

I concur........
Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
Zr2USA = B_Rich

Just to let everyone know, Best Buy replaced the hard drive for free. I just ended up paying $20 more for a 320gig, instead of getting the same 250gig back that they would replace.

The only thing I'm down is the data that I lost (which wasn't a HUGE deal to me) and $20, but the $20 was for 70gigs more storage space.

Last edited by B_Rich; 10-11-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #25

This is a perfect example of why you need a desktop and one of these. Assuming the drive is IDE and not SATA.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #26

This is a perfect example of why you need a desktop and one of these. Assuming the drive is IDE and not SATA.

i've got 4 of them that i brought off of ebay from some seller in china
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #27

Worth their weight in gold eh?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #28

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...item45ee274e33

Oh I like. Are they avail for sata as well, I wonder ?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #29
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Dudes,

I bought this on ebay for $9.99 it is a life saver!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002

It will convert any drive IDE SATA laptop to USB it includes the power adapter as well.

Never need to open the computer.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #30
Sneaky White Person

Quote: Originally Posted by DJDAudio
Dudes,

It will convert any drive IDE SATA laptop to USB it includes the power adapter as well.

I've got that exact one except it was rebranded as something else. Although I payed full price at Fry's b/c I was in a bind and absolutely needed it that day.

Last edited by xJuice; 10-12-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #31
Captain Obvious

Quote: Originally Posted by DJDAudio
Dudes,

Werd; I've lost two of the older IDE-only ones already

Last edited by Imperial; 10-13-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.