which is better, wireless g or mixed mode? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

which is better, wireless g or mixed mode?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Geek Squad Central
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #1

which is better, wireless g or mixed mode?

I have a netgear router and was wondering which is faster to have the wireless set on. Wireless g only or mixed b and g? There is also a setting called "auto108mbps." Would that one be the fastest? It's a Netgear WPN824 by the way.

Last edited by truckinwade; 01-31-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Holy hangover Batman!!!

User is: OffLine
Re: which is better, wireless g or mixed mode?

If all your wireless devices use G cards then I dont see why you would need mixed mode.

G or auto108mbps will be your fastest depending on what your devices can recognize.

Last edited by fawien; 01-31-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
<3's EDM

this is weird because i just went through and changed this setting on my router.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by fawien
If all your wireless devices use G cards then I dont see why you would need mixed mode.

G or auto108mbps will be your fastest depending on what your devices can recognize.
So g only and auto are the same? The only wireless devices are my macbook pro and my ipod touch. I'm guessing they are both g.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Holy hangover Batman!!!

Auto is super G 108mbps
G is only 54mbps

I would try auto and see if both devices like it if they dont then try the G setting.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by fawien
Auto is super G 108mbps
G is only 54mbps

I would try auto and see if both devices like it if they dont then try the G setting.
oooooo......"super G". Both devices work on both settings but I just wanted the fastest. I thought that n signal was 108mbps.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
Sneaky White Person

Quote: Originally Posted by truckinwade
oooooo......"super G". Both devices work on both settings but I just wanted the fastest. I thought that n signal was 108mbps.
108Mbps is the MIMO(multiple in multiple out) version of G. MIMO has multiple antennae so you can have upstream data and downstream data simultaneously. Theoretically giving you two streams of 54.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
///Relaxed Atmosphere

mixed
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #9

No.. 108 megs is 802.11n or 802.11g in MIMO. If you have a G card, then run G. If you have a mixture of B and G cards, then run mixed. I think this excerpt from the product page is funny -
"Wirelessly stream music, make Internet phone calls and surf the web faster and further"
I do that with an 802.11b router which is in my basement. I can stream music to my garage about 50 feet away.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #10

I had the same prob on my router, the verizon guy configured it on mixed mode...g and b and it was slow as hell, seemed like it would stay on b all the time, SQT helped me fix it and set it to G only...works fast as hell now...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by adamwilkes20
I had the same prob on my router, the verizon guy configured it on mixed mode...g and b and it was slow as hell, seemed like it would stay on b all the time, SQT helped me fix it and set it to G only...works fast as hell now...

SGT*

ah my encounter with most verizon techs, is about 98% of them are full of shit and the other 2% still dont have a funking clue what their doing :-D

you know who i really like to call up and play with when i get bored :-D 1-800-Geeks and the geek squad....i just find it funny at some of the shit they sugguest. im evil i guess.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by VortecSonoma
SGT*

ah my encounter with most verizon techs, is about 98% of them are full of shit and the other 2% still dont have a funking clue what their doing :-D

you know who i really like to call up and play with when i get bored :-D 1-800-Geeks and the geek squad....i just find it funny at some of the shit they sugguest. im evil i guess.
That's funny. I do the same thing though. I had to go to staples for some posterboard last night. They were pimping some pc cleaning service for $30 or something. The lady stopped talking when I pulled out my Microsoft ID.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by SgtM
That's funny. I do the same thing though. I had to go to staples for some posterboard last night. They were pimping some pc cleaning service for $30 or something. The lady stopped talking when I pulled out my Microsoft ID.

lol isnt it fun messing with the "da masses" im always in uniform, so when i go to best buy or staples or so on i try to wear a coat that doesnt brand my company so i can be like superman after im sick of them and be like boyah boitches!!!!! they hate me..i know and i laugh at them daily....
Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Totally Confused

Quote: Originally Posted by VortecSonoma
lol isnt it fun messing with the "da masses" im always in uniform, so when i go to best buy or staples or so on i try to wear a coat that doesnt brand my company so i can be like superman after im sick of them and be like boyah boitches!!!!! they hate me..i know and i laugh at them daily....
Lol my friend works at Staples but knows shit about computers. I was going in to get some stuff from him and saw a lady ask him about the computers they have. He turned around and handed her to me to give her advice even though i dont work there.The other staff were giving me wierd looks so one of them comes over to ask why i was helping her and he stepped in. He started going on about how you absolutely need a wireless mouse and keyboard because they work better and just generally going on about crap he doesnt know about. After he was finished with her I met her near the cashier and told her the real facts about what she was going to buy. She brought some of the stuff back and gave me $20 for saving her a few hundred Man were they ever pissed though lol
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #15

haha....I was at best buy one time and I actually ended up "selling" a computer to someone. I just happened to be wearing a blue polo shirt and I was looking at the computers and this lady started asking me questions and I just ended up helping her pick out a computer based on what she needed and I even told her that I saw an ad for the same computer on sale somewhere else and to tell them when she checked out and they would price match it. She said I was the most helpful person she had ever talked to at best buy and then was surprised when I said I didn't work there. haha.

So should I put my router on g, mixed, or auto 108mbps? I'll have a desktop and 360 wired to it and 2 laptops wireless to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.