Upper ball joints still squeaking- need guidance - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Upper ball joints still squeaking- need guidance

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Upper ball joints still squeaking- need guidance

I have a '05 blazer 2wd that I bought 5,000 miles ago that has developed a very loud squeaking from the driver's side upper ball joint. Both upper ball joints were replaced immediately prior to my purchase of the truck, but the left once has since developed the aforementioned squeak.

I pulled the left front tire off to inspect it today and all of the ball joint's bolts & attachment points seem fine and the boot still seems full of chassis lube so I doubt that's the issue (but I could be incorrect).

Any thoughts or suggestions on what could be causing the squeaking of a virtually brand new ball joint and how this could be corrected?

Thank in advance!

Dan
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Upper ball joints still squeaking- need guidance

Are you sure it's the ball joint?

What brand of ball joint?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Not sure about the details or brand of the replacement ball joints as they were installed by the dealer I bought the truck from.

If I were to wager, I'd say *not* the top of the line.

Yes, positive it's the upper ball joint.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #4

A "good" quality ball joint will not make noise if it greased. I only use Moog, you may have another brand that is good too. Napa should be OK
Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #5

give it a shot or so of grease, stop if the boot balloons or leaks, its full.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
S-less

It's more that likley not the ball joint. It's the upper control arm bushings. Besides...ball joints don't squeek. Unless they were improperly installed ...or beyond abused ...or neglected then maybe.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Highly unlikely that it is a ball joint - as DWN2ERTH stated, ball joints don't squeak. I would put my money on control arm bushings as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Actually I have seen several ball joints squeak, not that other things can't, that's why I asked if he was sure it was the ball joint.

A poorly made ball joint can have a liner that moves to block the incoming grease allowing it to go dry. Also if the grease fittings are clogged it can lead to a dry ball joint.

Good quality ball joints use good materials and construction.

I would put a stethoscope on the ball joint and have someone move the steering wheel. I would also check the ball joint for wear/looseness properly.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #9

But they squeaked cause they were not properly greased, whether or not someone tried. Generally if the grease blows up the boot it will lube the joint, if not it's real bad design, though it doesn't really need that much if you know for sure it's gettin in.

Mine has a fitting thats been moved around cause it don't work (need to get a new one), but the joints still got grease.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #10

At any rate, if you are certain it IS the ball joint squeaking then it needs to be replaced whether the grease is getting into it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.