tie rod failure at 60mph!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

tie rod failure at 60mph!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
more stockerest

tie rod failure at 60mph!!

ever had your tie rod disconnect while you were driving down the highway?... i have. i almost shit a brick when it happened too. out of nowhere the front pass wheel started shaking like it was coming off and screeching really loud, followed by a horrible scraping noise. i tried to pull into a little subdivision, but ended up in the ditch(luckily it wasnt very big or full of water). i had to back out because the rod was trying sticking into the ground when i went forward, and once it was out i tied the rod to the frame with some speaker wire. i noticed that it was just the ball joint that came apart, but i was still pissed when it happened.

how do you tighten the balljoint? the nut came off the BJ and thats what caused it to fall apart. i have another nut for it, but the BJ keeps spinning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
LethalFabrication.com

User is: OffLine
Re: tie rod failure at 60mph!!

u need to put the nut on, and tighthen it, then u put a cotter pin in the thread on teh BJ so the nut cant come off- mike

mine spins too, i used an impact to get on there pretty tight, and put a cotter pin through it
Old 09-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
NTBSSHEVN

Place a jack up under the tie rod to put some pressure on it and it won't spin anymore so you can tighten the nut down.

But I'm confused on how it fell out. Did u mess with the truck's suspension in anyway. U need to check your stuff out and make sure their are cotter pins where needed. If it were me I would put brand new ones everywhere.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
LethalFabrication.com

good idea with the jack, ill use it next time lol
Old 09-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
more stockerest

i didnt mess with any of it, but it did just come from the body shop. it was wrecked in the front pretty bad, and it pushed part of the bumper into the steering assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.